Best Month for fishing?

• Husker26
    Gretna, NE

Just a very generic question I know, but if a guy had to list a month for the best Walleye fishing in the reservoirs of Nebraska, which month do you think would rank the highest for best production and results?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

You’re going to hate this…but…

Any month you can!

adam-bartusek
    New Prague, MN

In Nebraska I would think that April would be the best, whenever water temps get to around 45 degrees in spring seems to be a good. I’m not much of a walleye guy though but that’s what i have always heard.

Husker26
    Gretna, NE

Quote:

You’re going to hate this…but…

Any month you can!

That’s a given!! haha

John Kaus

Here is a list of months that are best.
    January
    February
    March
    April
    May
    June
    July
    August
    September
    October
    November
    December

bigpike

Since you asked a serious question I will give you my serious answer. December #1, I LOVE first ice. #2 is the polar opposite – June. I love the troll bite, post walleye / pike bite, big gils in the shallows. If I could spend the entire month of June in Canada the rest of my life it will be like entering heaven a little early (if I get there)

bigpike

I see this is a Nebraska forum so all of my info is based on living in sin as in Wisconsin

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Quote:

living in sin as in Wisconsin

Hahaha….I like it!!

Well Husker, it depends on what you like to do. Do you like to night fish while all bundled up? Or do you like to get under the sun and enjoy the day? Do you like to live bait? Troll? Jig it up?

Given all that info, I would say June is the month where you can do about all of those things in combination. Of course, when you have a weird weather year like we’re having now, that may change, but at least you have a place to start.

I agree with the others as well…the best time to go is whenever you can, and adapt.

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

I think you will find that your best bite for most fish would be May or June.

mb376
    Lincoln, Nebraska

I will agree the best calendar month would be May or June and for me it can change year to year. I prefer May just because their is typically less pressure and if the weather is decent it is can be lights out. Best 30 day period for me would be May 15 – June 15.

whitetips2

Quote:

Just a very generic question I know, but if a guy had to list a month for the best Walleye fishing in the reservoirs of Nebraska, which month do you think would rank the highest for best production and results?

I have lived in Nebraska my whole life, have dried off a walleye or two and have looked at a darned lot of pointy-headed fisheries data. I can tell you the answer to your question and it ain’t even close. By far, more walleyes are caught from Nebraska waters in May and June than any other months of the year.

The spawn period gets a lot of attention from some anglers, but it really is not that great of a time to CATCH walleyes because the walleyes are not actively feeding during the spawn–they have other things on their mind.

Once the spawn finishes walleyes have to start eating to regain energy and then, until there is an abundance of natural prey in the summer, you have hungry walleyes looking for whatever prey they can find and that makes for great fishing. That occurs during May and June. There are more walleyes caught from Nebraska reservoirs during Memorial Day weekend than are caught during the entire spawn period.

Daryl Bauer
    Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
    Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
    [email protected]
    Bauer’s Barbs and Backlashes

Husker26
    Gretna, NE

How tough is fishing this time of year? After the spawn? I’m headed to Davis Creek and Sherman for a day or two and hope to do some catch and release. Just need a day in the boat to relax! Can a guy expect it to be really slow for the eyes?

mb376
    Lincoln, Nebraska

Quote:

Can a guy expect it to be really slow for the eyes?

In my experience… yes. With that said I don’t think I have fished early April in 80 degree weather and water tempts in the 50s (or higher). I still suspect the fish will be highly scatterred with some still in spawning areas, some deep, some shallow, etc….. You never know until you try, good luck, and even if the fishing is tough, I will still be jealous.

whitetips2

Quote:

How tough is fishing this time of year? After the spawn? I’m headed to Davis Creek and Sherman for a day or two and hope to do some catch and release. Just need a day in the boat to relax! Can a guy expect it to be really slow for the eyes?

After the spawn in our reservoirs the male walleyes will stick around the spawning habitat for some time (the boys come early and stay late). So, a person can pick up some males along the dam faces well after most of the females have spawned and dispersed.

Once the walleyes finish spawning, they typically scatter all over our reservoirs and feed on a variety of prey items until the current year-class of baitfish, usually gizzard shad, becomes abundant in mid-June to early July. Ater the spawn expect to find the walleyes scattered, expect to catch a few here and a few there on a variety of presentations. Probably the best plan is to cover a lot of water and try a lot of things. One thing I would mention is that after the spawn, shallow water still tends to attract more fish because those areas tend to be warmer and tend to have more walleye prey. In fact, as soon as the walleyes finish spawning in many of our reservoirs they may head clear to the shallows on the opposite end of the reservoir.

Daryl Bauer
    Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
    Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
    [email protected]
    Bauer’s Barbs and Backlashes

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.