Need Tips for a Garmin instal

• rswan
    Participant
    Lakeville, MN

I have been recruited to install a Garmin system on my buddies Dad’s boat. I have always been a Lowrance guy.

Installing a Echomap Ultra 126sv up front. Balzout 12″ mount.
    Echomap UHD 74sv flush mounted in the council.
    And I need to do something with the LVS32 transducer and black box.

Any thoughts or lessons learned would be appreciated.

Gary
    Participant

Thoughts? If your dad’s buddy can afford all that equipment he can afford to have a pro rig it all up.

It’s a pain in the rear to rig it up on an ice shuttle. I can’t imagine a boat and all the potential new wiring/circuit breakers/fuse boxes, etc. It’s gonna eat alot of power.

I would recommend starting to use the livescope in a shuttle and a pole mount that you can attach to the boat. Run it off a lithium battery like ice fishing so you don’t have to hard wire it. Figure out what set-up is best for him then look about hard wiring it later this summer.

Everyone uses livescope differently.

mojogunter
    Participant

I don’t run echomaps. I have gpsmap units, but I think the install is similar. I know the cable for the livescope isn’t very long so depending on where he wants to use it will dictate where you install the black box. I believe the echomap units only have one ethernet plug on the back of the unit so if you would want to link the two units together you may need an ethernet hub to link the two units together. The black box requires it’s own power source as well. Be sure to have heavy enough gauge wire for the black box they can be power sensitive.

I have been recruited to install a Garmin system on my buddies Dad’s boat. I have always been a Lowrance guy.

Installing a Echomap Ultra 126sv up front. Balzout 12″ mount.
    Echomap UHD 74sv flush mounted in the council.
    And I need to do something with the LVS32 transducer and black box.

Any thoughts or lessons learned would be appreciated.

rswan
    Participant
    Lakeville, MN

Thanks guy for the input. I will look into these recommendations. I will fire up some picture when I have it all done.

Travis Beste
    Participant

With the Ultra on the bow you will be able to network all of it together without a hub. Mount the GLS10 box up front and run the network cable from it to the 126SV. Run another network cable back to the console and hook into the 74SV. Make sure you use heavy enough wire. Minimum of 10 gauge if the run is short, and 8 wouldn’t hurt once you go over 10′ or so. If you have 2 transducers you can hook one up on the trolling motor and connect to the 126 and one on transom and hook to the 74sv and both ducers will be available on both screens.

I have used products from http://www.gregsmarinewiresupply.com and have been happy with them. Quality seems on par with Ancor that I have used before, at lower prices across the board. I believe the 8/2 I just installed this spring was made in USA as well. They also do custom cables with lugs or connectors already installed(crimped and heat shrunk).

Coming from Lowrance you will have a pretty short learning curve to be able to help your friends dad. I went from LMS-320 to an Elite Ti to 3 Echomap 93sv networked and the Garmin gear has been the easiest to use and tweak. Elite Ti wasn’t bad, and in many ways is similar to the Garmin.

Henpecked
    Participant

No expert here, I’m running and Ultra unit and an EchoMap unit linked so have a couple questions. Who will control the LVS 32? the console or the bow? Are you planning to mount the LVS 32 on the trolling motor or separate pole mount? One thing I would recommend running the GVC 10 black box on a separate battery to minimize interference.

rswan
    Participant
    Lakeville, MN

I intend to add an extra battery for the system. Not sure if I will just parallel with the starting battery or use an isolator at this point.

I assume the control for the LVS 32 will be done from either locator since there will be a network cable between them.

Do you anticipate interference on a parallel battery system?

Should I run #10 awg to each unit or one to feed all three items?

rswan
    Participant
    Lakeville, MN

I plan to mount the LVS-32 on a pole. Temp it up at first to find the best spot for it eventually.

Henpecked
    Participant

I intend to add an extra battery for the system. Not sure if I will just parallel with the starting battery or use an isolator at this point.

I assume the control for the LVS 32 will be done from either locator since there will be a network cable between them.

Do you anticipate interference on a parallel battery system?

Should I run #10 awg to each unit or one to feed all three items?

You can control the electrical system for the LVS 32 from either unit. I guess I was referring to the physical positioning of the transducer. There are a number of good options for pole mounts, but none I’m aware of that easily moves location from bow to console unless you make one. If your into Facebook there a some great Garmin pages with lots of info on various mounting options. And of course some sell them.
    Interference can come from a lot of places, but generally trolling motor, gas motor or another electrical unit operating. The more you isolate each function from others, the less chance of having the problem. I run my locators off the starting battery and the GLS 10 Black Box off it’s own battery and have zero interference.
    Wire size will mainly depend on the length of the run. 10awg to the GLS 10 for sure, but if running all units the same you might want to go to 8awg.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.