navionics phone app

NULL

I recently purchased the navionics phone app. So far it seems to be working spot on. It has put me on the top of humps, inside turns, and just about any other contour structure there is. It also records the track you have traveled and you can mark GPS spots. It was only ten dollars a year for every water body in the U.S I believe. What I’m wondering is what is the catch? From what I understand, investing in a handheld GPS and the chips for it can cost upwards of five hundred dollars. How can this navionics app offer all the same mapping with more detail (1 ft contours) for so much cheaper?

TripleA
    Blaine

the catch is you already purchased the expensive “unit” which is your phone.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

It’s a $10 US map.
    Heck of a deal.
    But if you’ve never operated a good GPS with Lakemaster mapping then you are feeling the bliss of ignorance.

You’ll never regret the app, but there’s a good chance someday you’ll be upgrading.

KirtH
    Lakeville

Make sure but the advanced map option feature so you can do water level offset, depth shading, shallow water high light its something like 2.99 I suspect hand held GPS doesnt offer this. And the Route feature is also nice feature to buy or add on for 2.99

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Something cool you might not know of is you can get the portable SonarPhone app and T-box or Raymarine and add real time mapping for $200.

SonarPhone/Navionics

Pretty cool, especially for guys in canoes and kayaks or a tight budget.

Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

It’s only cheap until the first time you drop your phone in the water. Other more expensive devices can handle moisture much better. Slick app but my heart races every time I touch my phone fearing it’ll slip into the obis.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Don’t you also need phone service to be able to utilize the app? That is something I don’t always have when on Erie, Rainy, or LOW. Once I also got a nice bill due to the fact my phone “latched” onto a Canadian phone service when I was still in the U.S. Wife was not happy to see that bill. I irony of it was she was one that I received the call from that caused the excessive phone charges. LOL

FDR

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

It’s only cheap until the first time you drop your phone in the water.

This is known as user error….hope I didn’t just jinx myself.

@francisco4
    you do not need data service when using it. All the maps are downloaded ahead of time. Although you may not have access to the Google and other map overlay options, which I never use anyway.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Gregg Pfeifer wrote:</div>
    It’s only cheap until the first time you drop your phone in the water.

This is known as user error….hope I didn’t just jinx myself.

@francisco4 you do not need data service when using it. All the maps are downloaded ahead of time. Although you may not have access to the Google and other map overlay options, which I never use anyway.

@mplspug1
    How would your phone display your exact location then? Just trying to understand how it would work with any amount of accuracy.

FDR

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

@francisco4 GPS on your phone doesn’t require a data connection. It uses satellite signals just like any other GPS device…unless your phone doesn’t have GPS, which is unlikely.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Duh…You can probably guess that out family has bought in the Ianything market.

FDR

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.