Nashville suggestions

• ThunderLund78

Sounds like the in-laws are planning a Nashville trip for the adults (kids stay home). 4 days, probably in March unless Omicron swoops in and makes it not worth going, if not impossible.

I’m always good for a few drinks but can’t stack up the partying days back-to-back-to-back like I used to. I love Live music but cant see myself sitting in bar after bar for 4 days straight, either. We’ll be in the downtown/Broadway area and we’ll be without a car.

Would love suggestions on cool bars/live venues and good restaurants. But also wondering if there’s anything else that’s worth doing in-between the partying (which there will still be plenty of) that’s accessible in that area? Would love to do a whiskey or big distillery tour, but do they bus you out there? Lynchburg seems to be 1-2 hrs away.

First time in Nashville for me so let’s hear it!

Jordan VanHeel

Heading there in February so I’m also interested in some suggestions.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Haven’t been to Nashville, but it’s near the top of my list. Hattie B’s Hot Chicken would be must stop for me. If you’re a country or just history fan, the Grand Ole Opry and Bluebird Cafe would be very interesting. From what I understand the strip there is mainly filled with country cover bands at night, and if you want to see unknown up and coming artists you need to get off the strip or find shows earlier in the day. I’m interested to see what the gallery recommends as well!

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Following as well.

I love my beer and whiskey, as does Mrs. Bucky. We are looking at doing a trip down there next Fall with another couple. I voted for Nashville for our Spring trip. The Mrs. wanted California.

So we compromised…….and are going to California in Spring

CaptainMusky

Hattie B’s for their “Hot Chicken” is a must. There are multiple locations and the one downtown is the busiest one so perhaps check other locations because they do get very busy but they pack em in and out really well.
    The Ryman was great! No particular bars stand out to me except for the one that had line dancing lessons. That was the Wildhorse it was kind of fun to watch.
    We went through the Country Music museum which was fun, lots of incredible memorabilia.
    If you are a fan of the show American Pickers, they have a shop in town and its next to a Bourbon distillery that does tours which were phenomenal. We did a tour of the winery Belle Meade too which was fun. It was fascinating to hear the history of that place and that it WAS the center for horse breeding back in the day, but prohibition killed it and moved everything to Kentucky. LOTS and LOTS to do for sure. There is also a ton of Civil War stuff in the area, but we didnt take in any of that as we werent there for more than a couple days.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Johnny Cash Museum

Lotsa BBQ but if you want brisket get there early

amlavold
    Wisconsin

Have been there several times and always a great time. We would generally bounce around the bars on Broadway or 2nd Ave. We have never made it to the Bluebird Café but have gone to 3rd and Lindsley and to watch the Song Writer’s shows, very relaxed and interesting hearing the stories behind the songs. Very good musicians and many of there songs are performed by the “stars”. Very short Uber ride, possibly walkable and tickets needed.

Upcoming Shows

Tour the Ryman if there isn’t a show going on.

Brad Dimond

Our niece attends Belmont University in Nashville. Brother in law wants us to join the family in Nashville for a few days. He tells me that Nelson’s Green Brier Distillery is worth a visit.

buck-slayer

They wings at Hooters are great. And you get severed by a couple of hooters too.

Jason

Bring lots of $ is a suggestion. Was there with another couple 2 years ago and saw almost everything I think. Funnest part of the trip was getting in the car and driving to the Jack Daniel facility (Lynchburg Tennessee) and doing a tour/tasting. We got lucky and had a great host with alot of history and knowledge of how it all started and it was fun.
    FYI- Nashville makes you feel older than what you really are.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

I second Hattie Bs and Martins BBQ. Acme Feed on Broadway has a cool rooftop and view of the river and Titans Stadium

My buddy recommended a golf
    cart tour to get the lay of the land and that was very fun and useful to see the whole downtown.

The area around American Pickers and Marathon Motors (old car company) is neat. We did a moonshine tour right there too.

I liked all Broadway bars, had the most
    fun at Kid Rocks.

Not a country fan, but Hall of
    Fame is worth a walk through. Lots of neat stuff to see.

We went to an old train station that was
    converted to a hotel, that was really nest too

Attachments:
    1. E3C87DDA-44F2-42E5-A8DC-4919F5C324AB-scaled.jpeg

2. 025B8307-0FE0-44C9-9BB5-76423D318928.jpeg

3. E30223E5-AA24-480C-BED4-B536B7D9F27C-scaled.jpeg

Nodakk

It’s been a few years since I’ve been there and I know more bars have opened since. Any well known tourist attraction/ museum will be busy and take time. Peg Leg Porker BBQ was some of the best I’ve had. Tootsie’s bar was my favorite and a must. Every bar on Broadway will have multiple levels with a live band on each floor. Take an Uber to Midtown and go to Winner/Losers bar. Ran into most country celebrities at Losers. Santa’s Pub is also a cool experience. It’s a double wide trailer cash only bar that does karaoke.

Zach Peterson
    Austin, Mn

Hattie B’s, Puckett’s grocery and restaurant, Martins BBQ were all excellent.

Broadway is full of live music with multi levels bars and a different band/artist on every level. The Johnny Cash museum was worth the price of admission to me. We also did a BYOB bus tour of the city to take in the major sites which was actually really neat.

We made our way to printers alley which from what I gathered was maybe where more of the “locals” hung out. Really wasn’t our crowd so we didn’t stay long but was neat to see another part of the city. Also made our way to The Station Inn for some bluegrass, that place was really cool as well with a ton of history to it.

We went to a show at the Ryman, highly recommend doing that. We went for a country classics night and the sound from that old church is something I had never heard before.

By far I would say our favorite thing we did was going to a show at The Listening Room. Same concept as Bluebird and others, songwriters performing some of the hits you hear on the radio and giving you some back story on what inspired them to write it.

Bullheadfinder

Bearded Iris Brewing is some of the best beer I have ever had. Biscuit Love and Butchertown Hall were both great options for food.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

Martin’s BBQ is fantastic. Lots of the big name bars on Broadway (Aldeans/Ole Red/Kid Rock) get so dang crowded and loud it wasn’t really our jam, but there are lots of other small bars all along there that have great live music.

I’d provide some names for those smaller bars…but memory seems to be a bit fuzzy doah

Dan
    Southeast MN

They wings at Hooters are great. And you get severed by a couple of hooters too.

I’d love to get severed by some hooters.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Looks like the Wild are playing in Nashville mid-March. If not, just take in a Predators game. Bridgestone arena and the atmosphere around it is pretty sweet.

Jacks BBQ, near Tootsies

Get off the beaten path and explore. I found some cool stuff up near the Gaylord Opryland hotel / resort including a Dukes of Hazard museum along with an open-air bar that had live old-school country music. And that was middle of the day on a weekday.

waldo8680
    Stoddard, WI

I’ve been going to Nashville two to three times a year for the past several years. I do not go downtown to often and when I do I am usually out of there be 6 PM. I prefer classic country music and focus on the venues that play them. That would be Robert’s Western World and AJ’s downtown. A few other bars at times have the older music such as Nashville Crossroads, Layla’s and The Second Fiddle. I always stay by the Music Valley area, by the Gaylord Hotel. There are 3 bars that play classic country music exclusively and a forth that is pretty good as well. The Nashville Palace, The Scoreboard, Music City Bar and The Troubador are within walking distance of each other with plenty of hotels within walking distance as well. All of the hotels offer downtown shuttles which leave every hour for about $10 round trip. There is a liqour store a couple of convenience stores and several restaurants within walking distance as well. The Gaylord Hotel is worth seeing and the Opry Mills shopping center with a huge Cabela’s is also within walking distance. And finally the General Jackson showboat is always a fun trip which offers an excellent meal, a show and a nice trip up and down the Cumberland river.

bassh8er

HATTIE B’s Chicken.

I like hot stuff and their “Hot” is about as hot as I can go. 3 hot tenders takes me 2 tall boy PBRs to get through.

Skip the Grand Ole Opry in my opinion.

reddog

Wife and I went for our first time in March or April when we went to the World of Outlaws at Bristol. Flight from Sioux Falls to Nashville was uneventful, as was the rental car arrangement. We couldn’t wait to get to Broadway and enjoy a day or two taking in the sights. Drive downtown and was waiting in line to park in a pay lot. Got waved in by the attendant, and paid him $20 for all day. Parked in a spot, and headed out. Looking into windshields I noticed our ticket was different than any others. Knocked on a ladies who was surfin in her car. She said we had to pay at the kiosk, there were no attendants. Hmm. So we walk to the kiosk, (of course the guy had evaporated) and are going to buy a legit ticket and my wife strikes up a conversation with another person and they’re carrying on a nice conversation when she taps me on the shoulder and asks if I’ve got a $10. I said, what for? She says this kiosk is for the parking lot across the alley and if we stayed where we were parked, we’d get towed. Um. Ok, thanks for that info. Go to park across the alley, and everyone has a red ticket in their windshield, ours us yellow. Taken twice in our first 10 minutes in Nashville kinda left a sour taste in our mouths. Enjoyed an afternoon in Nashville, and couldn’t wait to get out of there, so we left for Gatlinburg. There were panhandlers on every corner during the afternoon, and they were bold. I hear they run them out at night, but we didn’t hang around long enough to find out. We went there with our guard down , which was a mistake. Our fault, totally. Enjoyed Gatlinburg immensely. Enjoyed Bristol even more. Returning our rental car back at the airport was another fiasco, but that’s another story. ) Not going back anytime soon,

stevenoak

Drove thru Nashville last week. 6th time in the last 3 years. For the second time, had a driver come onto the interstate from an off ramp. Both times the driver was going 10 0r 15 mph faster than traffic. Keep in mind traffic thu Nashville, 80 mph is not uncommon. When they came off the ramp, they crossed both lanes of traffic. To the far-left lane, where I was. First time I dove to the shoulder. This time I slammed the brakes. Otherwise, it would have been a hard t-bone both times. My brother drives thru a lot. Says Nashville drivers channel their inner Ricky Bobbie. So, I would advise keeping an eye out for the other guy.

ThunderLund78

Drove thru Nashville last week. 6th time in the last 3 years. For the second time, had a driver come onto the interstate from an off ramp. Both times the driver was going 10 0r 15 mph faster than traffic. Keep in mind traffic thu Nashville, 80 mph is not uncommon. When they came off the ramp, they crossed both lanes of traffic. To the far-left lane, where I was. First time I dove to the shoulder. This time I slammed the brakes. Otherwise, it would have been a hard t-bone both times. My brother drives thru a lot. Says Nashville drivers channel their inner Ricky Bobbie. So, I would advise keeping an eye out for the other guy.

Thanks Steve! at least for this trip we’re flying in and Shuttle/Uber-ing, staying downtown and mostly walking. GREAT suggestions everyone. We were supposed to finalize details over xmas but decided to wait a couple weeks and see what COVID does before booking. I still think we’re going but if it doesn’t happen, oh well.

stevenoak

Bad drivers aside. Think flying is a good option. Everything from central Minnesota to Nashville looks pretty much like the Mid- West. 2 long days of driving, with not much different to see. That you can spend enjoying Nashville. Lots to do in town. On this kind of vacation. My wife and I may hit everything close. Then rent a car for a couple days, if we see something farther out. After a few days in a city. I need a nature fix.

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

Prince’s Hot Chicken. Don’t go over medium heat if you are from north of Missouri. I went extra hot and damn near died:) Otherwise, park down on Broadway and check out downtown. Kid Rock’s bar is cool, Johnny Cash museum was cool. If you chew tobacco, the Cophenhagen shop was cool:) There’s a lot to do. I checked out the Parthenon and it wasn’t that great. They had these cool bars on bikes that you could paddle through downtown and drink and sight see and that was fun as well. Lots of singers around at bars and such, if you’re into live music and lots of gift shops to see as well. Have fun, it’s a blast of a town!

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Bumping this up for an upcoming trip. Thunderlund how was the trip? If any of you are familiar with Cornbread Cowboy on Instagram, he sent me some recommendations for real country singers: Roberts Western World, Losers, Red Door, The Local in Midtown, and Live Oak. Looking forward to my first rodeo in Nashvegas!

Brittman

If you like country music and enjoy listening to the instruments played by some of the best musicians in the business … go to the Opry. Always a bluegrass group booked if you are into that. A few hokey things – sure. Overall, I find it almost a must when we are in Nashville. Great mix of old stars and young talent. We have seen some real emerging starts do a set. If you get lucky, you may get 3 songs from an A lister.

Take an Uber to 12th avenue during the early afternoon. Shops for the wife. Some good eats. Bartaco is fun.

Broadway is largely for the 20 something crowd after 6 or 7. Cover bands are OK. Smell of weed fills the air. Bachelorette groups every 5 steps.

Nashville driving is indeed fast and somewhat chaotic.

Parthenon … bit odd but interesting to visit once.

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

Check out old hickory’s house!

The hermitage

Brittman

Jackson’s home is next on the list Crawdaddy.

Further out:
    We have visited Civil War Battlefields around Franklin and Fort Donaldson. There is much Civil War History in Tennesse. I want to go to Shiloh … bit away from Nashville though. I have relatives that fought on for the North in TN. One was around 15 years old when he enlisted.

Jack Danials Distillery is actually fun. Taste testing was fun too.

The three stars on the TN flag is an interesting read.

WishIwasWiser

If I missed it in previous posts, apologies.

Home

This is an amazing place to visit!

Gerty

Got to hit up Martin’s BBQ. The best!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.