My wife asked for a divorce

• Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

After 9 months this showed up. She is a beast at 21”, 48.1 lbs, 5,000 watts RMS, and identifies as a fridge that is going into a 6th order dual reflex bandpass enclosure. I have always been big in audio reproduction. I bought my first car stereo before I had a car to put it in and used to compete in the IASCA (international car audio competition) Sound Quality challenge. My stereo cost way more than my car for a long time. Even though my wife enjoys it. She would not allow me to do what I want with the home audio. She just doesn’t like the look of speakers and the space they take up. When I started to build my shop last year she told me that is the place I can put my radio. So I did with a system that would put most night clubs to shame. I currently have 4 15” speakers in each corner that would be plenty for most people. But there was something missing from 60 Hz and lower. This tour grade concert speaker should fill that void. I was going to make 2 of them but thought that would be silly. I have done my best to soundproof the shop with 6” of rock wool in all the walls and ceiling with a layer of mass loaded vinyl. The garage door still needs some help. If my little 12” sub rattles my soffits I can’t wait to hear what this thing does.

Who else has a passion for audio?

Attached is the frequency response at 1,000 watts. This is not my enclosure design. This devastator design came from Red Five.

Attachments:
    1. Speaker-Output.jpg

2. Oh-Baby-scaled.jpg

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

When my wife saw this speaker show up the first thing out of her mouth was “I want a divorce!” peace

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

hah Lots of wives out there…not that many speakers like that!

404 ERROR
    MN

Oh boy.

Back in HS and College I had a Monte Carlo that was putting out almost 10,000 watts with 4 different amps. 2-6×9’s, 4-6.5’s, 2-4.5’s and 2-12″ subs. 3 Optima batteries and a 250A alternator. My neighborhood hated me. It’s almost impossible to hide 2/0 wire under the carpet! Sub amps were mounted behind the rear seat, speaker amps under front seats and an additional battery tucked into each wheel well in the trunk. Luckily the trunk was huge as the subs were in a sealed box @ 1.6cu ft/chamber.

I sold the car my senior year of college, completely stripped of almost all car audio equipment. Sold the subs and amps (minus wiring)for pennies on the dollar to some shady folks in Richfield. They were going to use 8ga to hook it up and I couldn’t convince them otherwise…I still wonder the outcome…

I now rock stock audio systems…but I do have Klipsch speakers in my garage woot

Sharon
    Dakota County, MN

Dude!! That looks awesome! What comes before Part B?

PARTAAAAYY!! 😂 🎵 🎼 🎉

What time is the music concert? I’ll bring beer!

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

PARTAAAAYY!! 😂 🎵 🎼 🎉

Lol I love that quote Sharon! Nice Sub Rodwork.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

I used to travel to the ISACA finals in SC every year back in the mid 90’s. I was one of the top installers at Mach One car audio for a few years. I still have some stuff from my days that I have been selling on EBay. Old School car audio stuff get crazy money these days. Sold some Phase Linear tweeters from 1989 last week for $100, Pioneer EQ from 1994 went for $200. Still want a Alpine 7909 or 7903.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I used to travel to the ISACA finals in SC every year back in the mid 90’s. I was one of the top installers at Mach One car audio for a few years. I still have some stuff from my days that I have been selling on EBay. Old School car audio stuff get crazy money these days. Sold some Phase Linear tweeters from 1989 last week for $100, Pioneer EQ from 1994 went for $200. Still want a Alpine 7909 or 7903.

Funny, I may have had you do a couple things for me back in the day at Mach One. I should look and see what I still have laying around and sell it.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Just search “old school” the only things that come up are car audio and some old Redline bike parts.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>bigcrappie wrote:</div>

Funny, I may have had you do a couple things for me back in the day at Mach One. I should look and see what I still have laying around and sell it.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I better not put white caps on my coronas?

Deuces

Good grief.

I’ll make sure to bring ear plugs next time over peace

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I better not put white caps on my coronas?

I can always turn it down to prevent that or up to have your drink shaken and not stirred. Everything is controlled by a DSP through a computer and dialed in with a UMIK-1 calibrated microphone. Digital sound processors have gone a long ways since my car audio days. I forgot how much I enjoy doing this kind of stuff. This makes me feel young…er again.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

PARTAAAAYY!! 😂 🎵 🎼 🎉

It is set up for karaoke. I just need to get a mic and not be the one singing.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Rodwork, You have the RTA software with the UMIK-1?

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Rodwork, You have the RTA software with the UMIK-1?

I have REW and another one that I can’t remember the name of offhand.

Sharon
    Dakota County, MN

It is set up for karaoke. I just need to get a mic and not be the one singing.

You’re kidding?!? I LOVE KARAOKE! peace peace peace
    I’ll bring extra ear plugs for anyone who isn’t already deaf from having heard me sing. roll

hnd

i began the process of becoming MECP certified but just didn’t see the real value in going that direction outside of opening my own shop.

I installed for buddies while in hs and college. I was more and SQ guy than an SPL guy. I started with some crunch 10’s in a bandpass box and a pioneer amp and graduated to multiple systems I thought were fantastic. mostly mbquarts components but switched sub setups multiple times.

2 12″ NT2 powered by an XTR800
    1 12″ HCCA powered by an HCCA 250r (this was too sql-y for me)
    2 12″ IDQ’s powered by a US AMP.

home stuff I was satisfied with a nice klipsch set up powered by harmon karmon (eventually switched to sony)

I got out of the car audio game about when JL kind of took over the space.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

For you car audio geeks check out 5 star audio on YouTube.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

For you car audio geeks check out 5 star audio on YouTube.

Interesting channel. I think I will run it in the background while I cook for a bit. I watched a 911 clip. The way some people do installs just amaze me.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

This thing pounds. I should have cleaned up the port for pictures. I was hoping the sub would blow it out clean. I think the finish came out nice for being brushed on.

Attachments:
    1. 20220815_150343-scaled.jpg

2. Box-scaled.jpg

3. Some-Clamps.jpg

4. Old-Evinrude-scaled.jpg

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Oh Geese!
    Prolly hear it all the way down to pool 10. Better not scare the fish.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Couple more. My wife is still not happy about it.

Attachments:
    1. Clamps-scaled.jpg

2. Side-Clamp-scaled.jpg

3. 20220805_202144-scaled.jpg

Cody Meyers

Can I come over and plug in my guitar?

I’ve never been into full stereo systems, PAs or anything, but I like guitar amps. Hearing yourself really loudly when you play is an experience lots of folks never get.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Honey, What? Can’t hear you. get more beer? sure…..

catmando
    wis

I had 2 box speakers sitting on the back shelf of my 1970 Delta 88 wired to my 8track. lol.

Deuces

I loss partial hearing just looking at those things…..

Can’t wait to hear em in person toast

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I have received some complaints from one neighbor.

Attachments:
    1. XENNIAL-AUDIO.jpg

Sharon
    Dakota County, MN

Can’t wait to hear how those sound!! toast

Denny O
    Central IOWA

No not live anywhere near my neighborhood. shock

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.