My First Trout!

• Sharon
    SE Metro

Caught my first brown trout today and we successfully avoided the rain! 😎🎣 I kinda thought I was snagged on another stick – until the stick fought back! 😅 I have limited experience fishing rivers and there’s a bit more to it than the lakes I’m used to. Especially when I’m easily distracted by the ducks, birds, and bugs surrounding me!

Pics aren’t loading, so duplicates will probably appear soon LOL 😅

WishIwasWiser

And now you’re hooked!

And browns are known to lay on the bottom when hooked. Especially the big ones!

Sharon
    SE Metro

Trying again! 📸 🤞🏻

Attachments:
    1. Img-1235.jpg

2. Img-1234.jpg

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

No pictures, it’s just a fish story whistling

Maybe your Dad can help you mrgreen

SR

Sharon
    SE Metro

No pictures, it’s just a fish story

LOL I got it working! 😂😂👍🏻👍🏻

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I use to do a fair amount of Trout fishing early in the season before other seasons opened. Use to fish the whitewater and root rivers a fair amount. Its been about 10 years since the last time I made a trip to the area. Its a slightly longer drive from here in St. cloud than it use to be when I lived in the South Metro. Every spring I tell myself I need to make the trip there for a weekend. Trout are a fun good fighting fish on Light fishing rods. I use to follow the stocking release dates and always plan a trip a few days after they released the rainbow trout. Those things are crazy aggressive and often get caught out rather fast after they are released. Being that I have not followed the sport in awhile I’m not sure how much they are still even stocking the rivers in the area. They use to have several hatcheries in southeastern minnesota. I believe they had one in Lanesboro and another in Altura. They use to be open to the public and were fun to stop at and view.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Where were you fishing them Sharon? were you using Small Mepps spinners, Fly, or live bait to catch them. I loved to cover lots of ground and fish with Mepps and roostertail spinners. Did not have the patience to fish with a fly rod or live bait. It seemed that the guys fishing the live bait were able to catch the bigger fish. But those fishing the spinners often caught the most. I use to cover a mile of stream in the time it took a fly fishermen to fish a few hundred yard stretch. All three methods are effective. Just come down to what your personality enjoys the most.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

That’s a Gateway Fish Sharon, be careful! Or else your Dad will have you tying flies, shopping fly rods, and decorating your fishing vest and full brim hat with your creations! rotflol Nice first trout!

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

Nice fish!!! waytogo Very pretty colors too. If I happened to know where it was caught, I wouldn’t tell anyone. Not for atleast $100. Just sayin. mrgreen
    whistling whistling whistling

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

That is a nice trout and clean hat. How did you cook it?

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Nice catch Sharon, I have yet to cross a brown off my bucket list. Someday I might have to hit the streams i guess?

Sharon
    SE Metro

Where were you fishing them Sharon? were you using Small Mepps spinners, Fly, or live bait to catch them.

I was blindfolded enroute and then sworn to secrecy on location! 🙈 We were using both spinners and live bait and this guy hit on my live bait. I like fishing with both, and it’s good to mix it up, but there’s nothing like playing around in a tub full of crawlers and getting that goo stuck up under my fingernails! 😄

Sharon
    SE Metro

We ate the hat raw. jester

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Rodwork wrote:</div>

We ate the hat raw. jester

Did you wash it first? 🤔

Sharon
    SE Metro

Did you wash it first? 🤔

And lose all that amazing flavor?? No way! rotflol rotflol

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

That’s a nice one Sharon! I’m going to bet the “ROOT” river. rotflol

catmando
    wis

Now that’s a pretty good looking Brown! Reminds me to catch some Brookies to smoke.

AK Guy

Nice size fish. I’m impressed.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.