MX2040

• Tom Albrecht
    Eau Claire

Looking at potentially getting into a used 2040. What would you consider high hours on a 5-year old Yamaha SHO? For those that own this boat, what are pros and cons?

onestout
    Hudson, WI

4 stroke motor, high hours are around 4-5000.

docfrigo
    Wisconsin

Like onestout said, 4000-5000 hours is pretty typical for guys running motors in saltwater. Being a Yami more than likely, hours would not be a concern versus good maintenance and not being abused. I have run a MX2040 for 3 years now. The boat is very well laid out, with design input from some very good fisherman- including our own James Holst. Pros: rod locker is huge with NO TUBES. Storage is well thought out and a ton of it. Fishes very flat and close to the water, which it was designed to do. Sticks to the water like glue, not getting blown around in the wind. Some knock the big water ride, but really it can handle anything with proper driving. If big water is a need– get a Warrior, they were designed for that. Matches up great with a SHO 250, which is a hot motor. The 250 SHO is only 18 hp short of the 300 yami offshore (265 hp versus 283 hp) and you will miss nothing on the bottom end and maybe a mile or two an hour on the top end. It has been very solid. Cons: could use trim tabs- but most every boat in existence would benefit from trim tabs so really not a slam. I currently do not run tabs on my boat, but would be a nice addition for balancing out the boat when I have guide customers sitting on the back bench. If I thought they were an absolute need, I’d have them on there. Overall, I love my boat and have zero plans on getting out of it any time soon. If the boat fits you, you’ll be happy.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.