Multi-vitamin or Suppliments?

• ThunderLund78
    Participant

I’ve never been a big believer in supplements or multi-vitamins but I’ve never taken one, either. Does anyone take one they like or has noticed that taking one makes a noticeable difference?

I try to eat responsibly (key word being “try”) and will be starting to hit the gym again during the winter months. But as I get deeper into my middle ages, winter seems to get a little tougher each year. Lower energy and generally more aches and pains. A lot of that just comes with getting older but I’m wondering if any of you guys have found anything that has helped make a difference.

Deuces
    Participant

My mother is a huge supplement person. She is a freakin busy body whom I hope I have the same energy at her age. Shes in the meleluca stuff and I try whatever she gives me to try. Haven’t been impressed with anything as of yet. Probiotics if my stomache gets a bit off whack from a heavy drinking weekend or spicy food. But only for a few days until it self corrects. Multi vitamins for when I’m sick, which is rare.

Exercise and healthy eating are the two most absolute best things that make me feel good day to day.

stevenoak
    Participant

I’ve taken glucosamine since my knee exploded 30+ years ago. After a bone graph from my hip and 3- 2″ deck screws later. It reforms as well as the other. Working on my feet on concrete since. Can’t say how much due to supplement. I take other supplements. Best to be advised by someone that doesn’t sell them. Kind of like home Radon tests. A blood test can tell you a lot on if you have deficiencies.

KPE
    Participant
    River Falls, WI

Early in 2020 I started taking a basic men’s multi-vitamin, vitamin D supplement, fish oil, and potassium religiously. I used to take most of these things on and off but now I am structured and take them daily. It costs very little and I feel any potential benefits are worth it.

Fish oil because I notice a lot of people start taking it later in life on doc recommendation, figured I might as well get a head start. D because the data regarding COVID outcome and D deficiency is so glaringly obvious it’s almost funny, and because here in the midwest we typically don’t get enough sun exposure during winter months. Potassium because after years of battling a heart very uncomfortable palpitation I decided to look at my own blood work and wouldn’t you know I was deficient. Extremely few heart palpitation episodes since I started supplementing potassium 3 years ago religiously. Worked with various doctors for 4 years prior to that trying to figure out the problem, and no offense to the good docs out there but these ones failed me completely. After reviewing my findings with another doc they agreed, potassium deficiency was obvious in my blood work and should have been spotted years ago.

suzuki
    Participant
    Woodbury, Mn

My wife and I have been supplementing A, C, D, E, Zinc and Quercetin in an effort to stave off Covid. Also D is very important to add this time of year. Its all in one pill and my wife and I have been taking them for a while now. Otherwise I eat healthy and take a multi vit once or twice a week.

Eelpoutguy
    Participant
    Farmington, Outing

D and fish oil here. Seems to help with these old joints of mine.

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

I take a chewable multi-vitamin from Costco that is tasty, and has a pretty good broad range of your daily vitamin needs, a zinc pill, and fish oil. The vitamins and zinc I started taking at the start of the pandemic to boost my immune system, can’t say I feel any different, but I also haven’t got Covid despite multiple exposures both pre- and post-vaxxed. Also just had the stomach flu, that was just inconvenient, but didn’t limit my daily life much, so I guess I’d call that a win. Fish Oil I’ve been taking for a while on Dr recommendation as a preventative measure for my cholesterol, and have been monitoring my bloodwork without a significant change so TBD on that.

LabDaddy1
    Participant

My wife and I have been supplementing A, C, D, E, Zinc and Quercetin in an effort to stave off Covid. Also D is very important to add this time of year. Its all in one pill and my wife and I have been taking them for a while now. Otherwise I eat healthy and take a multi vit once or twice a week.

What’s this pill called Suzuki? Thanks.

Not that it matters much now tho because I’m pretty sure I have covid as I type this!

FryDog62
    Participant

Talked to a few docs when I worked for one of the local hospitals. One in particular said if you have some specific deficiencies, vitamins/supplements can be key. But she also said the amount of excess vitamins we take in the US is pretty excessive in most cases. She said we have some of the “most expensive urine” in the world because the great majority isn’t utilized by our bodies and is sluffed off. Her recommendation was again – unless you have a specific deficiency, take a multivitamin a couple times a week, every-other day at most.

toddrun
    Participant

I agree with everything that has been stated. I started a daily multi-vitamin (Sam’s Club 50+) and D supplement, about 3 years ago. All of my blood work evened out nicely, no deficiencies anymore.

I had also added a low dose aspirin and fish oil at the time. Warning – consult your Dr. on these if you are on blood pressure medication. Did not work well for me, blood pressure went too low. Don’t take either of these since.

Basically, always consult your Dr. before adding any supplements, especially if you are on other medications.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I just take Miralax. ‘Nuff said.

suzuki
    Participant
    Woodbury, Mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>suzuki wrote:</div>

What’s this pill called Suzuki? Thanks.

Not that it matters much now tho because I’m pretty sure I have covid as I type this!

Force Factor Immunity. Bummer on the vid. I have been able to avoid it for 2 years now. Fingers crossed. I would prefer to never have it or the vaccine.

tornadochaser
    Participant

I bounce between the costco gummies and centrum multi-vitamins.

I just made some better diet and exercise commitments & goals in the beginning of december. I haven’t run farther than 1 mile since high school & I’m knocking on 40 years old. Now I run and lift weights every other evening. My hardest change will be my diet. But if I can shave a few inches off my waist, run 5K’s, and add back some upper body mass and still enjoy some beers I’ll be ok with that.

Snake ii’s
    Participant

Been taking multivitamins for the past year. Really can’t detect a difference in health…………..

ThunderLund78
    Participant

I just take Miralax. ‘Nuff said.

I mainly drink Busch Light and like you BK, am a devount fan of SPAM. No Miralax needed! jester

I took some time to do some reading today on the matter today, as well. I think I’ll stick with exercise and trying to do better with eating . The bar is currently set pretty low with Busch Light and SPAM.

tim hurley
    Participant

Another vote for fish oil, my wife’s doctor said most supplements are a waste of money except for fish oil, very benifical and hard to get with a regular diet.

TheFamousGrouse
    Participant
    St. Paul, MN

I’ve never been a big believer in supplements or multi-vitamins but I’ve never taken one, either. Does anyone take one they like or has noticed that taking one makes a noticeable difference?

The first question I’d ask your doctor is do you have any vitamin deficiencies? A simple blood test will determine this.

4 years ago I was in my second year of battling fatigue in the winter. It was like I had the flu without having the flu. Finally went in and my doctor ordered a standard series of tests to try to find the problem.

Turned out I had absolutely no detectable levels of vitamin D. They retested and confirmed, no vitamin D which is not a good situation and linked to all kinds of bad stuff. It takes a long time to build vit D, so it took over a month, but I’m sure that was the issue.

So I’d start with understanding do you need anything?

Eelpoutguy
    Participant
    Farmington, Outing

Another vote for fish oil, my wife’s doctor said most supplements are a waste of money except for fish oil, very benifical and hard to get with a regular diet.

I also eat alot of canned fish. Sardines, herring, red salmon (just bought some today $8+ a can WT&) smoked oysters. Along with that broccoli and Kale.
    Turned 60 last OCT, never felt better.

Weekends, pretty much anything goes.

bfishn
    Participant

I don’t religiously take a multi-vitamin year around, but I do get better and take one about 4-5 times a week in the winter months. However if I wake up with even the slightest hint of a scratchy throat I start pumping them twice a day, It’s amazing how often I fend of getting sick. In fact I’ve been at my current job for 7 years and haven’t taken a sick day.

MX1825
    Participant

I’m 6’4″ and 245 lbs. and close to 70. Only thing I take is an iron pill with vitamin C, saw palmetto, and low dose aspirin. Been doing that for 12 years. Reason for the aspirin I carry a blood clot gene they found after surgery on my leg. No prescription meds yet.

grizzly
    Participant
    nebraska

I take vitamin D-3,Zinc and C everyday threw the winter and believe it helps so not going to stop. Dr. Said it was good idea, probably just told me what I wanted to here but who knows

stout93
    Participant
    Becker MN

I take vitamin D-3,Zinc and C everyday threw the winter and believe it helps so not going to stop. Dr. Said it was good idea, probably just told me what I wanted to here but who knows

Lots of people taking supplements including Zinc and D-3 to lessen the impact of Covid.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

I take nothing. Just eat healthy and stay in shape. It’s actually pretty simple. But I wouldn’t mind taking a vitamin if there is a actual proven one.
    I dont buy in to half the crap you guys take. I’m not much of a take a pill to feel better kinds guy. Water exercise and good eating habits go a long way. And a few shots of whiskey.

Umy
    Participant
    South Metro

I take a multi ( am 60 years old) figure it can’t hurt.
    I eat decently and at regular times and don’t snack much if at all after 7:00 pm.
    I drink lots of water, hot water with lemon or lime juice for the taste instead of coffee and only 1 hot tea per day.
    I exercise 3 days per week – Yoga and some basic weights to keep me moving and feeling like i tried.
    I eat a 88mg baby aspirin everyday along with 6,000mcg of Vitamin D ( supposed to help with reducing the buildup in my ears that causes Vertigo) – seems to help BTW.
    I am active every day, year round (skiing, yardwork, walking, biking etc)
    I have asked multiple doctors re supplements and have gotten different opinions on the subject. I will continue to take them.

Umy
    Participant
    South Metro

Whoops!!! That’s 81 mg Baby aspirin and 75 mcg ( 3,000iu) of Vitamin D
    Doctor said 2-3,000 of Vitamin D so I went with more – VERTIGO sucks!!

(I eat a 88mg baby aspirin everyday along with 6,000mcg of Vitamin D ( supposed to help with reducing the buildup in my ears that causes Vertigo) – seems to help BTW.)

buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

I don’t take anything whatsoever other than a few occasional ibuprofen for aches and maybe a sudafed for congestion when a cold comes on.

If I feel myself starting to get sick I double down on my water intake and actually be more active. These are not medically supported strategies and probably are not the right answers, but they work for me. It’s crazy what cutting some winter brush for an afternoon will do for a head cold or slight fever.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

I don’t take anything whatsoever other than a few occasional ibuprofen for aches and maybe a sudafed for congestion when a cold comes on.

If I feel myself starting to get sick I double down on my water intake and actually be more active. These are not medically supported strategies and probably are not the right answers, but they work for me. It’s crazy what cutting some winter brush for an afternoon will do for a head cold or slight fever.

I’m in the same boat. I do the same. I’m not much of a medicine guy unless absolutely needed. Working up a sweat goes a long ways, washed down with water and healthy eating. The body will thank you for a long time.

Dan
    Participant
    Southeast MN

I eat a 88mg baby aspirin everyday along with 6,000mcg of Vitamin D ( supposed to help with reducing the buildup in my ears that causes Vertigo) – seems to help BTW.

You have my sympathies for going through that. I had vertigo BAD almost a year ago and I wouldn’t wish it on anyone, and I’ll be keeping your advice in mind.

For anyone that’s been through it (vertigo) what pulled me out of it was a physical therapist. From what I was told is that each clinic may have 1 or 2 PT’s who are trained for vertigo. Would’ve never guess PT would help, but they essentially put you in the positions that cause you vertigo/dizziness and kind of roll you to another position to re-sit the crystals in your ear canals. Feels like you’re going through an exorcism but the results can be effective almost right away.

Umy
    Participant
    South Metro

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Umy wrote:</div>

You have my sympathies for going through that. I had vertigo BAD almost a year ago and I wouldn’t wish it on anyone, and I’ll be keeping your advice in mind.

For anyone that’s been through it (vertigo) what pulled me out of it was a physical therapist. From what I was told is that each clinic may have 1 or 2 PT’s who are trained for vertigo. Would’ve never guess PT would help, but they essentially put you in the positions that cause you vertigo/dizziness and kind of roll you to another position to re-sit the crystals in your ear canals. Feels like you’re going through an exorcism but the results can be effective almost right away.

Thanks for that Dan-((read my “whoops” reply to myself before you take Vitamin D) too funny about the “exorcism” I went to the Natl Dizzy and Balance Center. I remember looking at the gal and saying “seriously?!” and she just laughed and said “seriously” It actually works. Feel like you’re on Candid Camera but hey…. I keep the exercise sheet handy and shots of it in my phone photos if I go out of town. The Vitamin D is actually supposed to help limit or even stop formation of the crystals. At least when I was drinking I had an excuse!

fishingdm
    Participant

How about Collagen supplements? Has anyone used them or are they another gimmick?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.