Morels 2022?

• haleysgold
    Participant
    SE MN

Anyone been out yet? Find any?
    In SE MN it looks look warm and the woods are pretty wet so I’m guessing they should start popping this week.

Curious if anyone had any luck yet?

Steven Krapfl
    Participant
    Springville, Iowa

I found 8 of them this weekend turkey hunting in Northeast Iowa, around Dubuque. So, they should be coming your way soon, hopefully.

buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

I’ll be out this weekend for a few hours to take a break from clearing brush. 2 and 3 years ago were phenomenal on our ridges that face mostly South. Last year here was bad (too dry). I’m hoping it doesn’t get too hot too quickly this go round.

buschman
    Participant
    Pool 2

My buddy found a couple dozen blacks here in the St Paul metro this weekend. We always find the blacks about 10-14 days in front of the whites/yellows. We are close. I think everything will come pretty quick when they get going. I would guess about a week before they are cutting good ones here in the metro area.

JEREMY
    Participant
    BP

The ground temp in the woods in my back yard was 56 degrees last night. Should have been good enough i think it just warmed up to fast i would think mid week they should be all over.

haleysgold
    Participant
    SE MN

Checked a couple spots last night. Nothing yet.

Gotta believe with the rain and heat, they have to start soon.

Will I look on Thursday when it’s 90 out…maybe from the SxS!

WishIwasWiser
    Participant

“When the oak leaves are the size of a squirrel’s ear”
    Isn’t that the saying? SE MN is a week or so away.

poomunk
    Participant
    Galesville, Wisconsin

I checked a couple spots on our small parcel last night (southern trempealeau county WI), no morels but I did find a couple ticks.

haleysgold
    Participant
    SE MN

I hate ticks. Sprayed good b4 I went out, every time, so far none of them little ba$tards on me.

Getting dumped on with rain now and heat tomorrow. Should make em pop.

Never heard the oak leaves saying.
    Usually when the lilacs bloom. Haven’t seen any of them blooming yet though.

buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

SE Minnesota is going to have a nice pop this weekend and into next week. We are about to get hammered by rain again, and the heat + humidity should make things explode.

A coworker found over 30 last night in about an hour. He said he left them all as they were literally an inch tall and plans to check back on them tonight or tomorrow.

haleysgold
    Participant
    SE MN

A coworker found over 30 last night in about an hour. He said he left them all as they were literally an inch tall and plans to check back on them tonight or tomorrow.

You’ll have to let us know if they grew any more.
    Whenever I’ve done that, they were the same size the next day or they had dried up.

buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

^ Will do. I’m not sure what will come of his strategy. With this downpouring rain they could be covered in mud or long gone.

haleysgold
    Participant
    SE MN

I’ve been out the last days checking a bunch of different spots and nadda, zip, nothing.
    Thought for sure they’d be poppin.

I personally haven’t talked to anybody that found any yet.

Anyone else had any luck?

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

I’m going to go walk the woods when I get off the lake today. Hope to find a few

eyeguy507
    Participant
    SE MN

Found 4 by my creek in the same spot. Biggest only 2″. Might have to expand the search later? This week should by the week

Jimmy Jones
    Participant

We spent 3-1/2 hours in the Beaver Vally of Whitewater this morning and never saw a morel. Pheasantbacks were everywhere so it wasn’t a wasted trip.

eyeguy507
    Participant
    SE MN

well that makes me feel better JJ. i tried some woods close to home and never saw a thing in maybe 2 hours tops and gave up. i will try again next weekend i guess unless fishing is priority?

Jimmy Jones
    Participant

For as much rain as we’ve seen in the last week the woods where we were actually were drier than what I’d have liked.

Randy Wieland
    Participant
    Lebanon. WI

For as much rain as we’ve seen in the last week the woods where we were actually were drier than what I’d have liked.

Same here. Richland County, WI. Found 1, all the moss is dry and very little moisture in the dirt.

We usually get mushrooms before asparagus. Picked about 5# of asparagus!

buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

I picked 17 of them last night in a little over an hour of walking. All were what I’d consider small or medium sized and found on South facing slopes near dying (not completely dead) elm trees. Most of the remaining elm we have on this piece are small. They’re only 5-6″ in diameter. They seem to die at the tops first with leaves still halfway up.

We definitely need more rain for the morels’ sake despite getting around 4″ last week. What I was hiking is extremely steep ridge, so as hard as that last rain came I’m sure most ran right off. This entire week should be good locally for morels if we can squeeze out a little rain somewhere in the forecast. I plan to try again either Wednesday or Thursday evening and shift around to the other side of the ridge that doesn’t get quite as much heat.

I also stumbled across a nice Primos blind from a trespasser nowhere near any of the property lines. I’m still debating if I go back and take it, or if I cut it up and leave it there with a little sign that says “we have you on camera” as a deterrent when they return. It’s never been an issue in the past for us and it’s in a spot I would’ve seen just a couple weeks ago when we were filling in some washouts on an old logging road. The criminal must have the last turkey season to not take it out with them.

JEREMY
    Participant
    BP

Found about 20 in sibley co on flat ground in the middle of a woods where i never find them til really late. Was surprised i was just checking ground temp. Im sure there was more i just left before i squashed more. Seen like 6 in my backyard this morning before work that werent there last night. Fairly open north facing hill. Its strangely dry in the woods.

buck-slayer
    Participant

I have crushed trap rock around my fire pit and have had morels pop up the last 3 years. Just saw the first ones yesterday about 1″ tall. So that’s when I know to start looking for them.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

I found 0 bawling
    But seen 2 vehicles in the area I find them. I have never seen any one back there before

ThunderLund78
    Participant

Have not been in the woods yet, but commenting on the dryness… It’s got to be dry ground from last year sucking up moisture coupled with the non-stop wind. After 6+ inches of rain on some areas of central Minnesota, I encountered what I’d consider a minor dust storm on HWY 10 near Royalton driving home for fishing opener on Sunday. Couldn’t believe it, but the top soil is not retaining any moisture in these conditions. Standing water in the ditches, fields are bone dry.

Gino
    Participant
    Grand rapids mn

Just started in Grand Rapids area. Found some but mostly small. Should be better this weekend.

Attachments:
    1. F749958E-B165-44A9-A838-1E8918321047-scaled.jpeg

2. EA272DC2-A97C-4328-9B1E-15F3153A0791-scaled.jpeg

DTW
    Participant

I was out today for about 2 hours and found around 100!! Most of them within 200 feet of a really big dead Elm. Average size was 2 inches. Mostly Yellows and a dozen grays.

Washington County MN

haleysgold
    Participant
    SE MN

Finally found about 40 tonight.
    Running kinda small. Even the yellows only as big my thumb.
    About 20 around 2 bigger dead elms.

Some rain tonight should help.
    Maybe just starting I hope.

Gonna be good eatin tomorrow night!

FinickyFish
    Participant

Hoping to take my kid out for his first time hunting on Friday down in Southern MN. Based on these reports is sounds like there’s some hope finding some, but either way it’ll be nice to just get into the woods.

JasonP
    Participant
    Twin Cities

Had a heavy but brief rainfall around the metro last night. Evaporation is what causes them to start pinning so maybe see fruits in a couple days if we’re lucky. Fingers crossed.

buschman
    Participant
    Pool 2

I found about 45 last night. Picked 30 of them and left a few small ones to grow. A few I found in a sunny area were just about to old to pick. I caught them right in time so they have been up in some areas that I look for a week or so. I should be pretty good this next week here in the Metro for blonds/yellows.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.