Montana Elk Hunt

• weedis
    Participant
    Sauk Rapids, MN

A group of four of Us went on our first elk hunt to Montana in the White Sulphure Springs area. We came back empty handed besides a couple whitetail but it was not for lack of effort or lack of seeing elk for that matter. The issues was the places we saw them we could not hunt them. We all had Elk B tags, which pretty much limits you to BMAs and state lands, but can not hunt national forests and WMAs, which is where saw the majority of the elk. There was sections of state land close to the herds we saw but accessing those were close to impossible because they were either land locked or no access. We also had too nice of weather I think to drive any elk down from the highlands to areas that were lower in elevation during daylight hours that we could hunt. It was mid 40s to mid 50s everyday with one day being super windy and another day of light rain. Regadless it was a super fun trip and already thinking about next year. Saw a crazy amount of animals and had one of the funnest whitetails hunts Ive been a part of. Next year, going to try for the big combo again, which we didnt get drawn this year, or general tag which both would open up more land oppurtunities to hunt. Otherwise, if B tag again and keep building points and I would consider going later in year and hope for worse weather/snow and be around MN for the deer rut. Tags are good until February so ample time to hunt, now I just have to convince the warden I need to go back out there this season yet! Also, another group we had out there who all had B tags as well got a big zero as well and they filled out the last two years, this was there 4th year out there in that area. They blamed it on the weather, I guess we got to blame it on something!

Attachments:
    1. 50757.jpeg

2. IMG_20211026_181626476-scaled.jpg

3. 50386.jpeg

weedis
    Participant
    Sauk Rapids, MN

More Photos

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20211025_093015281-scaled.jpg

2. IMG_20211024_083022012-scaled.jpg

3. IMG_20211028_160058165-scaled.jpg

weedis
    Participant
    Sauk Rapids, MN

A few more

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20211026_105507318-scaled.jpg

2. IMG_20211024_103635384_HDR-scaled.jpg

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

Sweet pics, and good report Weedis! Sounds like a helluva trip regardless, and learned a lot for future reference.

Nice Fella
    Participant

Good effort, great pics, thanks for sharing. All part of putting your time in, right? Or you pay for a guide. Beautiful, big country out there. Hopefully you can get back there this season yet!

weedis
    Participant
    Sauk Rapids, MN

Deffinetely learned a few things for next trip which is rewarding in its self. Would be great to go back this year uet, see how many kitchen passes a guy can get in one season!

Randy Wieland
    Participant
    Lebanon. WI

Made me reflect back to my first trip to Colorado. I can assure you are bringing back much more than you realize. You can do all the internet research you want, but it’s impossible to substitute boots on the ground. Tag soup never tastes good, but knowledge makes all the difference

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.