South Fork Root River

• itchmesir
    Winona, MN

Hey folks, Been lurking these forums for some time now and finally decided to register.. since i have read reports here i figured i would return the favor and start posting reports here…

3/11..

Got to the stream around 9am.. Air temp was 32F and water temp was 39F.. Was sunny most of the day.. As the day would progress the air temp would get up to around 44F and water temps got into the low 40’s…

Started out 3/4 up a section i fished the other day and then continued to work upstream…. first 1 1/2-2hrs didn’t catch a single fish.. no midge hatching when i arrived and didn’t really seem to take off at all.. big nymphs holding in the rocks… was throwing a #12 Hare’s Ear trailed by a #20 nymph… I’m thinking maybe its what i was throwing wasn’t what they were looking for because mid day I switched to a #10 Prince and trailed it with a #14 PT and I was in trout the rest of the day… caught quite a few… couple brookies but for the most part brownies.. most were in the 7-8″ range and a couple that were 10+”.. big shoulders.. catching the bigger ones right in the heart of the riffles… smaller one towards the tail end of the riffles…

got in a total of about 6hrs of fishing today.. and that seems to be about it for me for awhile.. winds are supposed to get up to 40mph in the area and then its going to warm up.. over night lows above 32F next week… the big muddy is comin.. should make the streams perfect for opener!

Caught these two guys on the same line.. a personal first

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Trout are so beautiful…even if they don’t have whiskers.

Welcome to Ido itchmesir!

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Welcome to IDO thanks for sharing the trout photo’s

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Very nice fish. Welcome to the site.

itchmesir
    Winona, MN

Quote:

Trout are so beautiful…even if they don’t have whiskers.

Welcome to Ido itchmesir!

Well don’t worry.. I got a new 8wt waiting to be used on the big river this year.. hopefully i’ll tie into a cat and cheer ya up

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.