Your tax dollars at work

• d.a.
    Rochester, MN

http://www.lsohc.leg.mn/FY2011/index.html

Pan down the list and you’ll see TU’s latest proposal. Or, you can peruse the list to get an idea of what kind of projects are being submitted. The H by the proposal means that it will make it to the hearing phase, but that does not mean that a proposal without an H is dead, so to speak.

D.A.

wally1992
    Evansville MN

The whole thing irritates me. Hand select 12 or so people that have to answer to no one,and give them millions of dollars of our money. You wouldn’t think there might be some pet projects do you?
    These are things that need to be legislated. That is what they are elected for.
    The spineless politicians can not make any hard decisions.

d.a.
    Rochester, MN

So, do you want a committee to oversee the committee? I’m confused. There is no perfect process for allocating tax revenues for outdoor projects; however, the 12 people on the LSOHC committee are not all politicians. See link: http://www.lsohc.leg.mn/members.html

I’m sure everyone has a pet project that they will vote in favor of (who deosn’t?), but people still need to put together a solid proposal. The money doens’t just get handed over on a whim or on the spot. There’s quite a few checks and balances in place. Remember, this system isn’t perfect due to the simple fact that it really is in its infantile stages. Things will streamlined and get modifed as the process evolves.

D.A.

mark winkels

D.A. how would a guy go about getting more familiar with TU? What exactly they all do, how to contribute, basically the nuts and bolts

d.a.
    Rochester, MN

mntu.org is the state chapter and hiawathatu.org is the local chapter that I’m affiliated.

TU is NOT a fishing club, nor is it a fly fishing only crowd, two misnomers that get played quite a bit by the anti-TU crowd. We don’t propose regulations either. We support them if they benefit the fishery as a whole.

In the summer motnhs, TU is very active in on-stream restoration work, as well as work with the DNR if they need it in their efforts. We sponsor kids and seniors fishing days in Whitewater and Lanesboro, as well as have supported Casting for Recovery. It’s highly political at times, but that’s pretty important to be active politically if you want things to get done, like when big ag. comes in and wants to suck out 300 million gallons of water from the Eyota area aquifer in order to make ethanol, a product that is hugely detrimental to the environment.

You can be as active or as inactive as you want and certainly there are positions that TU has that not everyone will agree. I look at this way. I want to leave coldwater fisheries in better shape when I die than when I started using it. Clean water is something that benefits everyone.

Off my soapbox,
    D.A.

chixdigme

Quote:

The whole thing irritates me. Hand select 12 or so people that have to answer to no one,and give them millions of dollars of our money. You wouldn’t think there might be some pet projects do you?
    These are things that need to be legislated. That is what they are elected for.
    The spineless politicians can not make any hard decisions.

seriously? there is so much legislative red tape to jump thorugh it makes my head hurt. And we have to be 100% transparent with how we spend the money. No pet projects either. The DNR is now 100% in charge of deciding what streams are priority, not TU. We are basically just workers now. and that is fine with me. The Lessard committee is made up of politicians, citizens, and scientists, who rate projects on their merit, and how they will be of benefit to MN outdoorsfolk. IF deemed good, that proposal then goes on to approval to the house and senate.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.