Vermillion River Sat 8-29

• markdahlquist
    Participant
    Eagan, MN

It was another beautiful morning. Jenn got up at 3:30 to let the dogs out. My alarm was set for 4:30. I was so excited to go fishing, I could not fall back asleep. Finally after tossing and turning I finally decided to get up at 4:00 and head out the door ASAP. Pitch black out at the bridge, I turned on my flashlight headset and made the half mile trek to my lucky pool. Slowly approaching my pool I get down to the edge of the water, making one slow step at a time like the great blue heron. I was in no hurry. I could barely see where I was going anyways.

In position I ever so slowly open my worm container so it will not make any creaking sounds and scare fish away. I slip on on fat stout crawler and toss at the beginning of the pool. BAM! Almost instantaneously I catachable sized rainbow hauls off with my worm. Deep hooked, he is one for the frying pan. 5:30 am. Not a bad morning.

Fish are hungry for crawlers today. I was getting nibbles and/or stripped basically every cast. Each time I slowly pick up the line to feel for a fish, wait fifteen seconds, pick up again. Tap tap tap, I set the hook. I caught a dozen redhorse by 7:00 am. A few big splashes. This hole has been good to me in the past. I hooked onto a big trout however was not paying attention and did not get a good hook set. The fish wrapped around a downed tree and the hook came lose. Live and learn. It was my fault as I was busy taking photos of this stupid catchable rainbow, not even worthy of a picture in my opinion. Pay attention Mark!

It was still early. I was running on four plus hours of sleep and one Coke Zero to keep me awake. I need to focus. I ended up slowly reeling in a crayfish who held onto my worm. I switched to a number two hook and threw him out there. Twenty minutes later, no bites. Next I switch back to a crawler and caught some 4″ chubs. I threw chub tails out into the center of the pool with a small split and waited. I had a few runs with the chub tails but when I went to set the hook I bait popped out of the fish’s mouth. Should I move on?

Patience. This pool has been good to me this summer. I could have moved on but I was sleep deprived, cold, and lazy. I felt like relaxing. I threw the chub tail on and shoved the stub of my pole into the soft cold mud. My rod surged, almost ripped out of the mud from the fish’s take. I picked up and ended up snagged on the bottom and had to break the line.

By this time I was discouraged however my gut told me tis hole still holds the best potential. This time of year, it is tough trail blazing in eight foot tall grass and weeds. I switched over to a # 6 Panther Martin all silver. I cast above into the circular pool at the beginning of the run. No take. I next cast to the opposite side in the middle of the run and retrieve across the pool. No take. Next I cast three quarters down from the pool funnel on the opposite side. In the middle of the run the giant lashes out and smacks my spinner. Twenty feet away, I saw the monster take. I thought the take was not solid and played the fish real easy. Right away I got out into the pool and optimized my leverage to the fish, being careful not top muscle too much as I was not certain how well hooked the fish was. The fish made six runs total. Luckily, this pool is huge and I applied the right pressure to keep the trout away from obstructions.

Landed at last! A 21″ female brown. This is my sixth trout 20″ or greater for the 2009 season!

mark winkels
    Participant

Nice fish!

I might have to test that water one of these days!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Gorgeous fish.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.