MN turkey stamp

• crawdaddy
    Participant
    St. Paul MN

When I bought my turkey license I purchased a turkey stamp. Are these required or just optional? I can’t remember if I ever purchased them in past seasons. I do usually get the pictoral stamp for duck, pheasant, and trout. I keep a trout and pheasant journal, and I always stick the stamps on the front of the notebook. I perused the dnr site and couldn’t find much info on what a turkey stamp does. I haven’t ever bought a walleye stamp because I’m not sure that it does much good. My opinion is that walleyes thrive on natural production and not stocking.

https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/features/stamps/index.html

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

You don’t need the actual physical stamps anymore. Once you pay for it, it’s listed on your license. You can request to have the stamps mailed to you if you want when you pay for them.

Many years ago you had to affix the actual stamp to the license and then sign across it. Those days are over. I don’t need the actual stamp anymore.

Eelpoutguy
    Participant
    Farmington, Outing

I buy a walleye stamp each year and stick it up on the lake map at the cabin to mark each year I’ve been there.
    Each year I have to call the state to remind them to send it to me flame

Brittman
    Participant

Pictorial stamps started with the US Duck Stamp. States started adding pictorial duck stamps in the late 70s and into the 80s. At one time most all states had a pictorial duck stamp. Then add in pheasant, trout, turkey, walleye … The market became absolutely over saturated about the same time stamp collecting largely became a rare past-time. With an occasional exception to a first issues and a few rarities most state stamps have collector value of $1 or less. So buy them to help conservation or have fun with them like eel pout.

On top of the stamps many states sponsored corresponding art work … again completely over saturated the market …

I have spoken with a few stamp dealers in the Twin Cities … one guy told me every week that people come in with dad’s or grandpa’s big stamp collection. On US postage stamps you need to drop back a century to find any collector value. Most say 1960 – 2000 have value below face value unless you lick them and put on envelopes yourself.

crawdaddy
    Participant
    St. Paul MN

brittman, like I said in my post I pay the extra for a pictoral state duck and pheasant stamp and place them on my journals. On the turkey stamp is one required to hunt turkeys? I did buy one, but couldn’t find that info on the dnr page.

Brittman
    Participant

Not needed for turkeys.

The Journal idea is a good one.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

On the turkey stamp is one required to hunt turkeys?

You need to purchase the stamp when you buy the license, but you do not need the actual physical stamp. Just like the ones for ducks, pheasants, walleye, etc. Its included in the cost of your license when you buy it.

Hoyt4
    Participant
    NULL

A few years ago they just included the cost of the stamp in the purchase of the tag. Yes you needed to hunt but now it’s just printed out on your tag. You can ask for the stamp and it would be mailed to you if you wanted to collect.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.