mn tax exempt

• fishingstar
    central mn / starlake

Over the years I have been buying stuff at my local Runnings store they ask me if it is for farm use. This spring I will be doing a lot of maintenance to my two tractors that will be 100 to 150 each.
    What or qualifications for farm use? Does anybody do this that have crp land with food plots in it?
    I guess the biggest thing is I’m looking at a new ranger and Polaris has a promotion (for farm use) $1000 off and no sales tax.
    The qualifications are not spelled out if I qualify for it.

Thanks for any information

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I know back awhile ago at Flee Farm they would ask if it was for farm use and if you said yes they would bring out a form you had to fill out. Remembering back when I looked at the form I didn’t qualify.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I know back awhile ago at Flee Farm they would ask if it was for farm use and if you said yes they would bring out a form you had to fill out. Remembering back when I looked at the form I didn’t qualify.

I cashiered at FF in the late 90s. I thoroughly hated when people filled out the form for a $15 purchase, and everyone in line behind them hated it, too. rotflol

I don’t know the requirements, though.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Not sure in Minnesota but in Wisconsin you have to show income from farming on your income tax to qualify.

slowpoke
    Perham Mn

Not sure in Minnesota but in Wisconsin you have to show income from farming on your income tax to qualify.

Mn is the same way. You can’t use tax exempt for your food plots. It has to be a legitimate farm business. CRP is a legal farm if it large enough to justify the income and expenses on your taxes The state DOES check.

fishingstar
    central mn / starlake

That makes sense. Just thought I would check around.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

You have to have a certificate of exemption in MN to be exempt from paying sales tax on farm-use-exempt items.

Most of the CRP seed I sell is for farm use and is exempt but I have to have an exemption certificate when I file my sales tax returns.

Jason

I guess the biggest thing is I’m looking at a new ranger and Polaris has a promotion (for farm use) $1000 off and no sales tax.
    The qualifications are not spelled out if I qualify for it.

Thanks for any information

Can Am has had a simular promotion for years. You have the option to still pay the sales tax yourself while receiving the higher rebate. Otherwise they will want you to fill out a tax exempt form. A good dealer will set you up.

Fowldreams55398

In MN I had to show a operation of 40 acres or more to qualify for some of the tax exemption. At that time I enrolled into having it classified as AG. We do 18 acres of alfalfa/grass per year on that 40. It isn’t designed just for food plots.

fishingstar
    central mn / starlake

Yes cam Am has a similar program. You have the same tax exempt as Polaris. In mn you have to buy 2 Can Am machines.

chamberschamps
    Mazomanie, WI

My work purchases are tax exempt, and you need a state issued tax exemption ID code to start. Then, you usually have fill out information at the vendor. Some places, like Menards or Walmart, you fill out the form once every couple years and get a card with a UPC code that needs to be scanned at the point of sale.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.