MN Pheasant Opener

• crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

Who is going out for the opener? I’ve only went on opener once, it was fun, but kind of a gong show. How early do you need to get to a spot, is it like duck hunting opener where people are sleeping at their public spot the night before? I am going for sure, and I’ll do a report after the weekend.

Reef W

Who is going out for the opener? I’ve only went on opener once, it was fun, but kind of a gong show. How early do you need to get to a spot, is it like duck hunting opener where people are sleeping at their public spot the night before? I am going for sure, and I’ll do a report after the weekend.

I don’t think anyone is sleeping at a spot. We go 1 hour early, at most, if we really want a specific spot and maybe sometimes we need to adjust the plan. Depends where you are going I guess but in SW MN there is public land all over, you’ll find somewhere. Bring non-toxic shot with so you can go to a WPA too and you have more options.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

We go 1 hour early, at most, if we really want a specific spot

I don’t deal with the public land or opener gong show, but this is what I’ve heard from others who do. One hour or so in advance on a highly coveted public land spot. If you see another truck already there, go somewhere else. Simply starting at the other end of the piece is disrespectful and all you’re doing is competing with someone else.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Yeah, it’s a gong show. Some years I go, some years I don’t. I usually try for 8:15-8:30. Even if you’re the 1st one at a public spot, don’t plan on having it to yourself.

I’m hoping to get out this weekend.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Simply starting at the other end of the piece is disrespectful and all you’re doing is competing with someone else.

I would agree, but unfortunately, there are a lot of people out there that think otherwise.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I would agree, but unfortunately, there are a lot of people out there that think otherwise.

Oh I’m sure

Reef W

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gimruis wrote:</div>
    Simply starting at the other end of the piece is disrespectful and all you’re doing is competing with someone else.

Yeah, people will ram in on you anyways. If you have a group with multiple vehicles we park like separate groups to block off more area and meet in the field at 9am. Otherwise just hunt what you can and go to the next spot, it’s not a big deal.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Yeah, it’s opener. The majority of those hunters hunt that weekend and are done for the year.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Yeah, it’s opener. The majority of those hunters hunt that weekend and are done for the year.

Yep, same for deer opener except WAY more hunters.

CaptainMusky

Pheasant opener much like fishing opener is a gong show. I will make it out, I usually plan to be where I want to hunt by 8:15 but last year that wasnt early enough. Hoping for some good numbers of birds this year. I didnt hunt much last year. The corn is really starting to come out around here. Few entire fields done, but they are really opening them up which is a sign it will be soon.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

One year on Iowa opener we had our eye on a particular field for the first hunt. We had done the same the year before shot a lot of birds. Some yahoo parked his truck in the lot overnight as a decoy. We got there about 30 minutes early and luckily something looked off so we took a closer look and found the vehicle empty and cold so we surrounded it with our vehicles and took the field. Now guys get to that field an hour or more early so we quit hunting it on opener.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

LOL that’s kind of funny but also a jerk move. Trying to hoard a spot. Tells you right there how much of a gong show openers can be.

CaptainMusky

Yeah, that is a jerk move to leave a vehicle overnight. Some of the areas I hunt there are waterfowl hunters too so that can be deceiving as well.

Reef W

Yeah, that is a jerk move to leave a vehicle overnight. Some of the areas I hunt there are waterfowl hunters too so that can be deceiving as well.

Could be archery deer hunters too. Personally I don’t check it out and just move on if there’s a vehicle there.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

It wasnt an archery hunter. They arrived after we started hunting and picked up their vehicle. We know what we are doing.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

I will hunt private land in the morning for a couple hours, then head to the boys college lacrosse scrimmages for the rest of the day. Sunday we are four wheeling.

I will burn some pto and hunt during the upcoming week.

Good Luck and be safe

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I’ll be up north for grouse and duck. Will hunt pheasants mid week. Good luck out there.

ganderpike
    Alexandria

Last year we were passed by a few vehicles racing to be first at public at 730AM. Took the fun out of it. This year Ill be in a stand and let the yahoo’s chase the young ones that are barely colored.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Any one have any luck

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

I got my 2 quick this morning. Private land, no crops. 6 points, 4 hens, 2 roosters and 1 I could not tell if it had color. The dog did well.

Jensen

We limited out in an hour, all corn was picked around us.

CaptainMusky

Good reports guys! I didn’t get out but a buddy got 2 as well.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

all corn was picked around us.

That’s a crucial item in play that almost always results in more success.

fishingstar
    central mn / starlake

we went to the big stone area this year. It is our fist time hunting here and didn’t get a chance to do any scouting so Saturday morning we had to take what we got. seen 1 roster and a lot of hens. did some scouting after that hunt looking for better places to hunt. We picked a winner got our 6 birds. Went out this morning 2 hours a head of time and someone was already sitting there. scrambled to find a new spot but didn’t see any rosters. We will see what this afternoon brings.

steelslinger71

Four of us had our eight bird limit by 1:00 Saturday. Only two this morning in three hours of hunting. Terribly dry down here in the Worthington area and I don’t think that is helping scenting conditions at all.

dirk-w.
    Minnesota

We were one short of our limit on Saturday due to a lost bird and limited out by noon on Sunday. Yup, desert dry conditions did nothing for the scenting conditions. Saturday got almost too hot for the dogs so we kept our walks short. Almost all the beans are out and the corn I’d say 30 to 40% and going quickly. A good mixture of young and mature birds. Gonna be a good year.

Reef W

Well, this was the busiest I ever remember so make it 2 hours now.

Jensen

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Reef Whooligan wrote:</div>

Well, this was the busiest I ever remember so make it 2 hours now.

Even then it will not stop most, if they want to hunt it they will hunt it, its public as a guy told me Saturday.

FinickyFish

Limited out Saturday on public land. Saw a good number get up and know a lot escaped to the corn. There were guys camped out with a Blackstone making breakfast at least 2 hours early at the main parking lot. Just went to the windward side of the piece instead. The thing about opener is its the highest population of birds for the season and they aren’t spooky yet so I enjoy getting out and generally have luck, regardless of all the people.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

The wife and I hunted a couple hours on Saturday morning–we got one at about 9:05 and didn’t see another. There was a ton of traffic, as expected. We finally found an empty WMA, and a guy pulled in right behind us. He had a young pup and we had plenty of room, so we agreed that he’d go one way and us the other. Had a few other guys park elsewhere and horn in–those are the breaks on opener on public land!

I hunted a little Sunday morning. It was crazy windy. I saw 3 hens and 4 woodies, but no roosters.

The rest of the season I usually hunt midweek.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.