MN ice fishing adventure

• bluegillbandit16

Looking at booking an ice fishing trip for a weekend away. I’m in Southwest MN, I can go to Alexandria area whenever so looking for something new in the general area of MN, IA, WI, SD, ND, Canada Etc. What does everyone recommend? A weekend/long weekend trip.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

What do you want to catch/ target?

bluegillbandit16

Really not picky. I like catching big fish, I like catching a lot of fish, and I like eating fish. Would be nice for a once in a lifetime fish. And I’ve never caught a lake trout. So that narrows it down to just about anything

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Ft peck, devil’s lake, lotw, ely area, kinda depending on what and how you want to do it.

bassmaster16

Devils lake for jumbos,low,or even mill lacs for a few big walleye.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

We’re catching these in Alexandria…

Attachments:
    1. Mess-O-Fish.jpg

2. Nice-Walleye.jpg

3. Big-Crappie-0135.jpg

4. Pounder.jpg

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

I would look at trying to find a place to catch a fish on your bucket list. You said you never caught a lake trout, so that’s what I would go after. Sorry but lake trout is on my bucket list so I can’t give any tips for that.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

lake trout is on my bucket list

I agree Tuma. I’d love to take a trout trip some day.

If a 10hr drive isn’t in the cards you can have fun close to home too.

You fishing out on Little Mary??

I’ve been on 8 different lakes in the area. I haven’t fished Mary in weeks, but it looks like the normal cluster of houses are really thinning out.

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

Lake Trout:
    Check out Brown’s Clearwater West in Ontario. You’ll need sled’s, but you can access several good lakes for lakers (Clearwater, White Otter, Greytout) from there, with a chance at a trout of a lifetime or 2.
    There are also nearby lakes that have brookies and brown’s, and I’ve had some great splake fishing too.
    It is a bit of a haul. It’s about 5 hours from Duluth, so about 7 from the Cities.
    And then there is Whitefish Bay on LOTW for lakers. There’s a couple IDO episodes from up there.

But be careful, lakers thru the ice can be addicting!!

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

Just thought of one other winter laker destination you could check out.
    Barker Bay resort on Lower Manitou lake.
    I’ve never stayed there, but have fished Lower Manitou a handful of times in winter and always done well. Had my all time best “numbers” day for lake trout there. Was staying at a private cabin, and iced 22 lakers the first day, all off of one point. Nothing over 6# but it was crazy fishing.

Again, you would need sleds to get there. Good Luck!

Andrew Pansch

Joe has Ida been for crappie and sunnies? I was out a couple times and didn’t get much. Thinking of going there tomorrow or somewhere else not sure yet.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.