MLF swing em in

• ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

Watching MLF on Sturgeon Bay, I noticed how long they took to land fish. Granted, they didn’t lose many or any on camera. Upsizing the gear would allow them to swing em in and fish more. Do you think they would get significantly fewer bites if they upped the test to be able to flip them in without getting a fish landing violation. Random thought. What do you think? Thanks

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Generally people who fish for a living will fish with as heavy of gear and Lb. test they can. If they are fishing with gear to light to swing fish in then they most likely need to fish that light to get the bites they are. On pressured fish or when the bite becomes tough, sometimes light gear and line is the o lay way to catch fish.

munchy
    NULL

If they’re catching fish they’re doing something right. I’d rather see them safely grab a fish boatside than flip it.

ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

Over a hundred pounds seemed like a decent bite. The lack of a landing net baffles me,too. I know no one allows them except FLW at one point anyway.

munchy
    NULL

One of the biggest stresses of the MLF is fish safety. Many of the rules they have in place are to protect the fish. Landing nets, touching the floor, touching clothing, placing in a live well, flipping, even breaking off, can all injure a fish one way or another. And the MLF has rules in place to at least help prevent it.

ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

I’m aware of their efforts. Getting a fish back quicker and less stressed after a shorter fight from a flip or being netted has its merit, too, using similar fish care logic. Not trying to be a pain, just an observation.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I’m not sure they’re using lighter gear to try and help protect the fish. They just take extra care in landing them so they don’t get the penalties. This last tournament was a smallmouth tourney which they will always use lighter gear on.

canoebasser
    St. Paul, MN

Typically with drop shot rig, you want light line and hook. You’ll lose more smallmouths trying to boat flip with 8lb test and small wire hook. Smallmouths fight hard so best way to boat them is tire them out.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.