Minn Kota Ulterra No Deploy

• Sheldon Joe

I was recommended to this forum because I might be able to get some advice from you.

This unit (36V 72”) came with the boat we purchased used a few months ago. I only deployed the Ulterra a few times before it failed though.

I wanted to try to fix it before I bit the bullet and switched to the Terrova (which I had on my last boat and loved it).

When I double click the remote to deploy, you can hear a faint click but nothing happens. Then the remote goes back to “stowed” status. Status light is a solid red the whole time. I removed the cap from the trim module and the gear was corroded and locked up. I thought that was the issue but when I swapped that out for a new one I still have the same issue.

I also cleaned out the connectors to the boat and also checked the cam arm but it is fine. I did not check the voltage or load test the batteries but they are newer Optimas so I figured they were fine. I will bring a tester with me next time I go down there.

I also put power to the tilt motor and it works.

Has anyone had the same issues as described? Minn Kota says it could be 3 things— the trim module, the tilt motor, or the control board. I can rule out 2 of the 3 but before I throw in another $300 into this I wanted to check here first.

mojogunter

do a full reset after the gear was replaced. I believe the unit doesn’t check that all systems are go once it has an error.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

When you power up do you ever get the green light? Check the batteries, Ulterra needs a full load.

Sheldon Joe

When you power up do you ever get the green light? Check the batteries, Ulterra needs a full load.

Green light is always on.

Sheldon Joe

do a full reset after the gear was replaced. I believe the unit doesn’t check that all systems are go once it has an error.

The only reset procedure I can find is when the unit is fully deployed (then power button 3 times). However I cannot get it deployed in the first place.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

First things first Ulterra will not deploy if battery voltage is low, then check back.

Sheldon Joe

Just wanted to report back and also had another question.

Voltage was good so I went ahead and bought a new control board. Installed it fairly trouble free and everything works like a charm.

I do have some worries though. The trim module I replaced looks exactly like the new one. I believe the unit was purchased new in 2020. The old module was completed corroded inside and the internal motor was seized. I thought they corrected this design? If it is the same module, this can happen again. I’m wondering if I should seal the cap with some 4200. Any thoughts?

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I’ve know several people who have owned a Ulterra. Notice I said have owned, not own. All of them had problems with them and have since gotten rid of them. We had one go bad on a buddies boat on a Canada trip. After messing with it for a full day, we ended up removing it and driving 100 miles to purchase a new one ( NOT another Ulterra ) The Ulterra went back to the boat dealership ( In many pieces ) when we got home. Thankfully the dealer was good about refunding my buddies cost. Needless to say, you don’t want to have to buy a trolling motor in NO WHERE Canada. Even with the exchange rate it was way more expensive than here in the US.

I hope your outcome ends up Better !!!

reddog

Happened on buddies boat 1sr trip for this year. Took it to dealer. He said it was a bent spider gear when they repaired it.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

My Ulterra is going on 4 years and not one lick of a problem, would not have a boat without one.

Matthew Sandys

Make sure to do the maintenance on it. I clean the shaft every time before I fish with a rag and some armor-all. The sensors are set pretty sensitive on it so too much resistance kicks it out.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Anybody have a link to the Ulterra maintenance? Although I haven’t had any issues with mine, maybe I’m on borrowed time. It’s worked well for me since I fish alone a lot and deploying in rough water is easy.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Tom and Netguy

You must be one of the lucky ones. So far I’ve know 4 fishermen who have owned them and none of them made it through a full fishing season with them. I do have to say when my buddies worked it was real nice. Maybe/hopefully the problems may have only been with the early models. But if yours is 4 years old it would have been one of the 1st years it was available I believe.

Karry Kyllo

I’ve had my Ulterra for 3 or 4 years now too. I’ve had only minor issues, but all of my problems were on me, usually associated with low voltage issues. Any other issues I’ve had were all operator error.
    I love mine.

Jason

I got 2.5 years on mine, overall it has been good. In 3ft waves it’s priceless not having to go up front. I have had some issues with the link remote and an MSI transducer update but other than that it’s been pretty good. I would buy another one.

welliou

Mine is a 2017 been perfect and I fish a lot. Now that I said that I am probably on borrowed time.

Mike m

1 full season on mine with no issues . Starting the second season any day now , hopefully with the same results . Brother has 3 seasons of use on his with no issues .

mojogunter

I have had several issues with mine. One was my fault. I think it has been two years ago at the freeze your butt tournament since my last issue. Hope it keeps going.

Tlazer

Buddy of mine updated his Terrova to the Ulterra last year. Got one fishing trip in and on the second one it failed. That was in early May, and he was talking to another fisherman on the lake while he was trying to fix it, and that fisherman said his buddy had one and his wasn’t working either. My buddy finally got it repaired and I guess it was a board issue. Lost the whole fishing season last year waiting on Minn Kota to get the new board to the repair center. He did like it the one time it worked though.

mojogunter

I have mentioned this before, but I thought I would say it again to help new Ulterra owners from a new headache. If you fish big water, and have an Ulterra it would be wise to add the ram mount I attached a picture of. What happened to me was on LOTW in very big waves I hit a big wave and that forced the motor forward pulling the belt out of the head unit causing to motor to slide forward breaking the worm drive, other things and the motor deploying. I had to lay on the front of the boat in the waves and lift it straight up and tie it up out of the water so I could drive back to shore.

Attachments:
    1. ulterra.jpg

Lou W

All my ulterra problems have been user induced. I like to put a bungee on the shaft in tough weather. Ulterras don’t like it if you forget to remove the bungee before you deploy it.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.