Mille Lacs WMA

• Jake
    Participant
    Brainerd

Anyone ever hunted the Mille-lacs WMA? The old lady was lucky enough to draw a tag for the “A” season lottery. I haven’t put boots on the ground yet, but wondering if I should bring an ATV for some pre season scouting? Pretty big area to cover, just wondering if a truck, atv, or boots is the best way to reach some of the areas. She’s pretty excited, we got close last year but couldn’t seal the deal. Looking forward to trying to get her a first turkey!

grubson
    Participant
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

You can drive your truck around the perimeter and to the various parking areas and trailheads. Otherwise boots will be your only option. No motorized vehicles in wma’s. I’ve never turkey hunted there, I’ve only grouse and deer hunted. They’re are plenty of Turkeys there though.

dbright
    Participant
    Cambridge

I have hunted it a few times with my bow. There are birds around but they get pressured quick. Opening morning 2 years ago I drove around most of it before I found a area to hunt without another hunter. I would definitely have multiple backup plans.

Jake
    Participant
    Brainerd

Thanks for the replies guys! We only hunt public and the hunting pressure last year was more than I’ve ever seen. So we got used to putting the miles on, to get away from people. Hopefully we can put together a good game plan before opener.

John Rasmussen
    Participant
    Blaine

I have hunted it a lot, for ducks and grouse. Like mentioned take your truck and scout around, but it would be hard to believe that it won’t be crowded. They have free maps at the headquarters, stop and grab one and go exploring. PM me if you want to talk more about it and I will try to help, I do not turkey hunt, but a buddy of mine does, maybe I can help.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.