Mille Lacs? Minnetonka? Or?

• sheffib32

I’d consider myself a novice fisherman. My father and I go to Chamberlain every year and troll bottom bouncers for a week and do pretty well on walleye. That’s about all I’ve done as far as “techniques” go.

So, a buddy and I are talking about taking an evening in mid-September to go try our luck. Looking for some suggestions on where to go and what to have in the boat.

Is Mille Lacs worth the 85 mile drive? Or could we find fish on Minnetonka (or some other TC area lake). I’m aware of the restrictions and not worried about keeping fish.

Ideally we’d be on the water by 4pm or so which would give us about 5 hours of light to learn structure and get an idea of where we want to be. I’ve never night fished before. Any pointers? Must-have gear?

Finally, I’m rigged for bottom bouncers/spinners, Lindy rigs and have some slip bobber stuff ready to go. Looked into getting some crankbaits but haven’t pulled the trigger yet. Anything I’m missing?

Just looking for any tips/tricks/ideas that you might have to get us going. Buddy of mine isn’t a fisherman so trying to show him a good time.

Thanks in advance!

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

I would go jump on a launch up on Mille Lacs. They should already be on the fish. It should cost less than 40 bucks each and you don’t have to drag your boat up there. Their trips are usually 4 hrs.

slawrenz
    Twin Cities

Don’t plan on fishing for Walleyes after 10pm on Mille lacs unless after September 15 then you can fish till 12PM

Night Closure:
    May 17 – June 4: No fishing for any species from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m.
    June 5 – September 15: No fishing from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. except for below exemptions
    September 16 – November 30: No fishing from Midnight (12 a.m.) to 6 a.m. except for below exemptions:
    Beginning June 5, muskellunge and northern pike may be targeted with artificial lures longer than 8 inches or sucker minnows longer than 8 inches. While fishing during the night closure, you may not possess or target any species other than muskellunge or northern pike.
    Bowfishing is allowed but you may not possess angling equipment while bowfishing, and only non-game fish may be in possession.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Personally I don’t go to Mille Lacs unless you have at least half a day to spend, 5 hours fishing for 3-4 hours of driving is pushing it imo.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Could go pull spinners on the st croix. Close and might get into some action.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Personally I don’t go to Mille Lacs unless you have at least half a day to spend, 5 hours fishing for 3-4 hours of driving is pushing it imo.

I would agree. I don’t fish Mille Lacs much anymore for a variety of reasons, but a one evening shot and 3-4 hour drive without a ton of preexisting knowledge would be tough.

Ripjiggen

Went through six dozen minnows Saturday afternoon. If you head to Mille lacs pm me and I can point you in the right direction. Was a mixed bag of fish. However like others have said in the water at four and it’s dark at 730ish so if you are fishing into the dark I would have slip bobbers or crank baits in tow.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.