Milee 45qt Cooler

• mplspug
    Participant
    Palmetto, Florida

Anyone own or heard of this cooler? I got one and it’s really practical. Comes with a cutting board that acts as a divider, a can holder, built in bottle opener and a basket to put things in above the I’ve to stay dry.

I’m not sure its insulated very well for a roto molded cooler. Seems fairly light. I also had ice overnight and there was a inch gap around the edge of the ice like the sides got warm and melted the ice.

Can’t beat the price. Our friends daughter bought one on Amazon and had 2 sent to her…unless she’s lying and she bought 2 to give us one.

For day trips it is excellent because of the functionality and versatility, but I don’t know how well it would work for camping or keeping things cool for more than a day.

Still have no idea why there is a pressure release button. I’ve never had a problem opening a cooler because of pressure?

Attachments:
    1. 1503749401030766082048.jpg

mattgroff
    Participant

The pressure relief button is for dry ice. When dry ice is packed and sealed to that level I have heard it builds up a ton of pressure. That’s why the button is there. So I have heard lol

mplspug
    Participant
    Palmetto, Florida

Ok, thanks. That makes sense. I get that cooling air will create pressure, I just never experienced it, but I can see where dry ice would really cool the air down to the point of creating pressure.

biggill
    Participant
    East Bethel, MN

Cooling air will actually create a vacuum.

Dry ice going from a solid to a gas expands significantly. Heating of the dry ice creates the pressure, and lots of it.

Did you precool your cooler before putting ice in it? It’s a very good idea for any cooler. Putting ice in a hot cooler wil do a lot of melting. I think the directions that come with a Yeti tell you to precool it before using it.

Eelpoutguy
    Participant
    Farmington, Outing

Anyone own or heard of this cooler? I got one and it’s really practical. Comes with a cutting board that acts as a divider, a can holder, built in bottle opener and a basket to put things in above the I’ve to stay dry.

I tried too purchase one but I didn’t have my Yuppie card with me at the time. whistling

mplspug
    Participant
    Palmetto, Florida

She used it last Saturday and gave it to us afterwards. There was a lot of ice left and by Sunday the gap formed. I’m not worried about it. It still had a bunch of ice and other than the gap I didn’t notice ice melting anymore than the other coolers. In fact the remaining ice wasn’t wet like it was melting.

You don’t need a yuppie card when it’s free. Just need to know a yuppie giving one away. :banana:

mplspug
    Participant
    Palmetto, Florida

Also Matt your logic about dry I’ve makes sense, because it is a pressure release valve.

mattgroff
    Participant

And you don’t need a yuppie card you just find a good deal. Got my yeti hopper at the sport show for 200
    The biggest hard sided one gander makes for 200 originally 499
    And just got a cabelas 25qrt for 99.00 in the bargain cave. I should be set for a while.

TheFamousGrouse
    Participant
    St. Paul, MN

Kind of a nice size cooler. You’re about as big of a cooler junkie as I am, Pug.

How does that price compare to a similar RTIC?

I’ve converted most of my cooler fleet to the roto designs, but I’m not shelling out the crazy money for Yeti. I have a 55 quart Igloo Sportsman that holds cubed ice for over a week. I have the smaller 35 quart (I think) RTIC, also a good cooler.

But I’m keeping my old school Igloo marine cooler. 150 quarts, works great, always has. All the roto coolers in this category are just too damn heavy, they would be unmanageable when filled.

Grouse

mplspug
    Participant
    Palmetto, Florida

I don’t know how I became a junkie, but I have 5. 2 were free, this one and the Rtic (wedding gift). Have a giant Coleman one too.

We actually left a big one on wheels in the keys over a year ago because we had an extra passenger on the way home.

I think Milee one retails for $200 on Amazon.

john23
    Participant
    St. Paul, MN

I saw an ORCA cooler last weekend and was impressed. Anyone ever try one?

riverruns
    Inactive

I have 3 Coleman X-treme. These are 70 quart coolers. When I was looking for a cooler I did allot of research. These will keep up too the YETI style coolers for you average 3 -5 day weekend. Pre cool any cooler stuff you put in it. Actually these are rated way up there for performance. All depends if you want to show up with a brand name and show it off, or you want to save the $ on a cooler?

Chuck Melcher
    Participant
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Side note on keeping stuff cold. I have a couple X-Treme as well…. but have started always putting a thick towel in the cooler above the ice and anything to keep cold, adding a layer of sorts between that and any open space above. Doing it in one and not the other you will see a difference in how long the ice will last. The cheeper the cooler, even more this will help.

Chuck Melcher
    Participant
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Back to the original post…. I would love to have a cooler with the divider and top rack like that. Food and such on one side, dead fish on the other )

CaptainMusky
    Participant

The biggest factor in hilding ice for extended periods of time in any cooler is prechilling it and put cold stuff in vs warm. Also make sure there are no air gaps. Use block ice over cubed. I usually freeze water bottles and gallon jugs to use for cooling then as they melt you can drink them. We stay on an island with no electricity for 5 days. A buddy has a smaller rtic and a Coleman extreme. The extreme works every bit as good as the rtic. I just have cheap igloo coolers and 50 went Styrofoam coolers I snagged from mills. They are like 3 inches thick and hold ice very well. I believe they are want plants are delivered to their nursery and that’s why they are so cheap.
    I plan on buying the biggest Ozark trail cooler from Wal-Mart. Cheaper than rtic and works excellent comparing reviews.

mplspug
    Participant
    Palmetto, Florida

This is how it looked form sitting Saturday morning to Tuesday morning without being opened but one or two times.

Attachments:
    1. 20170912_110543.jpg

mplspug
    Participant
    Palmetto, Florida

Note to self. Don’t place the ice on one side, it’ll tip. )

mplspug
    Participant
    Palmetto, Florida

So it’s been a week and there is still ice, although there is more water than ice cubes. I have been opening it 3-4 times a day to scoop out cold water for my diva dog who demands cold water. I have to say I am impressed.

The cooler would also make a great casting platform as it has no skid pads on the bottom.

markh9804
    Participant

have you found out anything else about the cooler because while on leave in florida i found one on the side of the road which i claimed for my self and was wondering if there was a seal issue for the ice cause my ice would melt into water as you explained earlier in this post. but when it is full of ice as you showed in the last picture it only melts a little bit leaving a small amount of water trying to figure out if this cooler is as good as it should be for it being free on the side of the road. also i find that the cooler is very well made for it to hold ice as it should and what is the real use of the valve relief pressure button, like when should you use it to release pressure inside the cooler?

mplspug
    Participant
    Palmetto, Florida

Not really, I mean holding ice for a week is pretty darn good. Also I used it at the beginning of December with regular ice and I had to use the pressure release valve, so I would say its seals up pretty darn good.

I don’t know how it stacks up against a Yeti or any other high end cooler as far as insulation and holing ice, but I will say the cutting board divider, rack and cup holder and built in bottle opener are pretty sweet accessories. Did yours come with all of those or did the previous owner keep them?

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Side note on keeping stuff cold. I have a couple X-Treme as well…. but have started always putting a thick towel in the cooler above the ice and anything to keep cold, adding a layer of sorts between that and any open space above. Doing it in one and not the other you will see a difference in how long the ice will last. The cheeper the cooler, even more this will help.

Try laying a sheet of aluminum foil, shiny side toward the ice and food, on top of the towel before closing the cooler. Using block ice I’ve kept ice and food for a week doing this and draining the melt water every morning and evening. Melt water eats ice up very quickly.

mplspug
    Participant
    Palmetto, Florida

Try laying a sheet of aluminum foil, shiny side toward the ice and food

Aren’t they both shiny?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.