Midwinter Walleye Structure Preferences

• icefanatic11
    Birnamwood, WI

Hey everyone,

I’ve been wanting to pick the brains of some of the folks who frequent this thread for a while about choosing a location to set up on midwinter walleye during this period (mid Jan. – mid Feb.) I talking about a large lake in northern WI that has very clear water. Cisco’s in the system. What I’m about to ask you to do is rank your choices 1.) being best type of structure and 4.) being least likely you would set up on. I’ll be fishing midday through the night. I know the general rule of the more diversity of structure the better but if you had to rank’em based on your instinct/experience how would you do so.

A.) Weed edge 12-16 fow on an arm connected to an island, deep water (30-50) nearby.
    B.) Scattered rock point complex, tip of it tops at 18 feet, dropping down into 40 plus feet nearby.
    C.) Sand saddle (18 ish fow) between two extended flats that form a point from shore, some gravel on tops of the flats, no weeds that I’m aware of.
    D.) Mid-lake jagged chunk rock hump surrounded by 40-65 fow.

If I had to rank them based on my success in the past, I’d rank them as follows: 1.)a 2.)c 3.)d 4.)b

What say you? Thanks in advance.

mike mulhern

b a c d I like rocks over dying weeds this time of year. Of course the rock weed transition is very good if that borders the weed edge at some point. the clumps of weeds with open ambush areas great but that reminds me of more Canada type deep clear water. That open deep water rock hump can attract minnows as they roam the open basins that I am seeing on my livescope. The trouble as I see it is the shorter bite window here in Wisconsin, at least the water I fish.

Mike

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

D.B.C.A if it’s the lake I’m thinking about. Then are you looking for big walleyes or eaters? Treat it like chasing suspended perch over deep basin and find the schools of Cisco. Big feedingbeyes will suspend and not be far away. Eaters will be on the weeds

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I don’t really fish lakes like this but sounds similar to a mid summer pattern on big, clear bodies of water with ciscos or tulibees. Big walleyes will be suspended over deep water with structure near by.

If I was fishing this for the first time I’d probably start with D then move to A,B,C.

But, since Randy likely gave the answers to the test away I’d probably use his suggestion!

icefanatic11
    Birnamwood, WI

Appreciate the advice. Mostly targeting the big mama wall mounter types. I tend to agree with the belief that the biggest eyes are suspending during the day, my only quip with spot D is it feels deep to me (It tops out at 23/24 didn’t include that in the initial post). Especially with past experience ice fishing eyes, not particularly on this lake, but I have not done well in the peak windows dawn and dusk once I get out past say 15 to 17 feet. Maybe I might fish spot D during the day on that mid lake rock hump then as the bite window in the evening looms move to spot A.

catmando
    wis

The biggest walleyes I have caught this time of year mostly come from where the hard bottom meets the mud, if I were going to pick a depth it would be 24 to 28 ft of water. But hard to soft is more important. DK.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I don’t really fish lakes like this but sounds similar to a mid summer pattern on big, clear bodies of water with ciscos or tulibees. Big <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>walleyes will be suspended over deep water with structure near by.

If I was fishing this for the first time I’d probably start with D then move to A,B,C.

But, since Randy likely gave the answers to the test away I’d probably use his suggestion!

Throw everything out, I’m following Matt.

On those couple bodies of water that have this structure, keep in mind it’s not uncommon to catch an isolated loner PIG in 40-50 fow. Trust your electronics. The smaller will school and relate to locations you would expect

BigWerm
    SW Metro

B & D seem like you should be able to check and find out quickly if it’s holding fish during the day. A would probably be the most consistent regardless of time. D, B and C seem like good spots for overnight and setting tip ups/rattle reels to get something traveling thru.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

If the weeds are green I’d go to location A every time for the primetime low light periods. If the weeds are dead or dying (not green) I’d be looking for bottom transitions of off good structure in 25-30ft of water. Better yet if you can find an area with a transition and even deeper water closer by too. Like already mentioned, anytime there is ciscoes there is a likelihood for walleyes to be suspended also. I think those deeper transitions will be your best bet at running into one if those too.

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

Appreciate the advice. Mostly targeting the big mama wall mounter types. I tend to agree with the belief that the biggest eyes are suspending during the day, my only quip with spot D is it feels deep to me (It tops out at 23/24 didn’t include that in the initial post). Especially with past experience ice fishing eyes, not particularly on this lake, but I have not done well in the peak windows dawn and dusk once I get out past say 15 to 17 feet. Maybe I might fish spot D during the day on that mid lake rock hump then as the bite window in the evening looms move to spot A.

If you’re thinking of the lake I think you are, shoot me a PM and we’ll figure it out together. You and I have talked about getting out in the past, and I’d be down for an adventure that might lead to a skunk. ;-)

duh queen

If it’s where I think it is, don’t overlook the northern end of the slot running through the narrows. That flat has produced in the past.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.