Mid-August Trip

• tgruenke
    Participant
    IGH, MN/Holcombe, WI

With other plans being cancelled this summer, we decided to book a week up at Kab. We have visited Kab 3 times previously, but those have all been in Mid June. What can we expect for fishing in August. I know there are a lot of variables, but how deep would most people fish, what works and what type of structure.

We did hire a guide for one day, so hopefully we can learn the pattern as well.

Thanks in advance.

Joe Scegura
    Participant
    Alexandria MN

I would contact the guide and ask him what he recommends you stock up on?

Being you have hired him I would imagine he would be happy to help you out.

Bass-n-Eyes
    Participant
    Maplewood & Crane Lake, MN

I assume you are targeting walleye, usually mid lake reefs are king in August. 25 feet and deeper depending on wind and time of day. Crawlers/leeches on lindy rigs or spinners. Jigs if you find active schools. Pulling cranks also a good option. Wind blown points and rocks produce pretty much year round too. My favorite time of the year is mid-August through September up there. Smallie bite really gets going the later you get in August as well.

Dutchboy
    Participant
    Central Mn.

What resort and who is the guide?

tgruenke
    Participant
    IGH, MN/Holcombe, WI

We are staying at Voyageur Park Lodge. We have fished with Wade and Tim Watson in the past, but with schedules we are going with Travis Carlson.

Dutchboy
    Participant
    Central Mn.

Have fun, Travis will get you on them!

xplorer
    Participant
    Cloquet, MN

I dont fish Kab in August but I have been on Namakan in August the last 22 years camping. I love the late July to end of August fishing up there. Lindy’s and spinner rigs will put fish in the livewell. Use your electronics, if I dont see fish I dont stay. But, I will check a spot 3-4 times a day if its good cause eventually they will be there. I usually fish early mornings before the family gets up, hit my best spots. Then go back later with the family and bump from spot to spot, starting in about 24′ and working out from there. Some of our best fishing has been in the heat of the day from 1-4.
    Last year the last week of July we took my son’s girlfriend camping with us. We spent hours at the day site on the middle Wolf Pack island swimming and diving off the rocks and having fun. About 4, I said lets give a reef a try before we head back to camp. I couldnt even fish. I spent 90 minutes netting fish for my wife, son and his GF (her first 7 walleyes ever). It was 80 degrees plus and no one was out fishing but us. We kept enough for a fry, and tossed back another 15 nice eaters.
    You will get all the info you need from Travis to put you on fish while you are there I’m sure. The guides are on the pulse of what is working all summer long. If your up at that time, I’ll be on Namakan the 12-17th of August and would be happy to share what is working where I’m at (Wolf Pack area).

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.