Micro Jigs for Ice Walleyes

• olas88

Was recently watching some Jay Siemens videos and came across him using small tungsten jigs for the jig’n minnow setup for large walleyes.

Curious if anyone else has deliberately tried this? Seems like most 5mm jigs have a hook too small for the application unless running something like a Clam Drop XL

ekruger01

Was recently watching some Jay Siemens videos and came across him using small tungsten jigs for the jig’n minnow setup for large walleyes.

Curious if anyone else has deliberately tried this? Seems like most 5mm jigs have a hook too small for the application unless running something like a Clam Drop XL

Ive had tons of luck with a 5mm to 7mm tungsten with a tail hooked minnow. Ive also used the left over tails from pinched off minnows and put them on like a plastic tail.

Always hear guys talk about nose hooking a bigger minnow on a 7mm tungsten and letting the minnow push the jig around under a deadstick. Seams to be a common thing in the dakotas when I work the sioux falls show.

deertracker

I had a stretch where I did good on Mille Lacs for walleyes with a tungsten and waxie. I was originally using my Bullwhip but had to change as I couldn’t drive the jig home with the light tip.
    DT

olas88

Just running with standard 5 and 7mm or do you look for the ones with the bigger hooks?

ekruger01

Just running with standard 5 and 7mm or do you look for the ones with the bigger hooks?

I run both styles depending on the size of minnow

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

Problem solved. Cuz I run standard round gumball head jigs.

olas88

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>olas88 wrote:</div>

I run both styles depending on the size of minnow

Thanks for the info!

olas88

I realize round gumball jigs are what a lot of people use, myself included.

In a goal to always improve and catch more fish I am asking about a tactic I have never tried. By all means if the gumballs work for you go for it.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Red lake. Tungsten and wax worm

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>slipperybob wrote:</div>

I realize round gumball jigs are what a lot of people use, myself included.

In a goal to always improve and catch more fish I am asking about a tactic I have never tried. By all means if the gumballs work for you go for it.

Right. You can try to get some blades usually for like spinner rigs and combine it with the jigs. Depending on the size of the blade it has an effect on the fall of the jig. If you thread onto a swivel, it sometimes gives you a helicopter spin on the fall. Then there’s a Gapen Spin Bee jig. One can make something similar.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.