LBDN Report

• Coffee
    Burnsville, MN

Might as well call this the “Year of the Throwback”
    Every day for the past 5 days, 20-30 13-14″er’s were common.
    Looks good for the fishery for years to come.
    Our group had mixed results, drifting with 1/4oz- 3/8oz chartreuse and orange fireball jigs tipped with 1/2 crawlers or small leeches did quite well. drifting or slow troll with orange spinners and crawlers also performed. Actually caught 2 nice fish vertical jigging my pool 4 favorite, a chartreuse 1/4oz knuckel ball jig and purple w/ white tail ringworm, but gave up on it too early I think. A couple areas working were the gladstone beach and channel 26-32ft, and the far north end in 17-19ft. One boat did quite well with slip bobbers in the river mouth, however the depth is very shallow. One boat did the night bite troll, however this was not near the bite as years past. The weather was varied, but the strong south winds make most drifts and boat control difficult. Overall the smaller fish dominated the bite. Dave

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Thanks for the great report Coffee. I just posted a current report and it is pretty much as you related. Did you catch any “milkers” as we did yesterday?
    I too should have tried some plastics yesterday, as they have acounted for most of my bigger fish this week. Keep in touch Buddy!

Coffee
    Burnsville, MN

Tom,
    Actually, we did catch a few milkers. Really didn’t notice until we were cleaning the fish, but there were quite a few.

The other thing I noticed was there were quite a few with separated dorsel fins. Looked like rips in the fins. I suppose this could be from all the catch and release under 15″ and netting these fish. Other than that the fish appeared to be really healthy.

The Gobies returned again this year. Not near the numbers as last year, but maybe 15-20 caught over 5 days. I wonder what effect the gobies have on the perch and walleye population. The MI DNR told me last year, it is having no effect, but you have to wonder. Coffee

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

thanks Dave, get out there BASSIN’. Jack.

tom_gursky

I wish I could Jack…just for a break from the wave pounding from the Bay the past two weeks.
    But we have severe freeze warnings tonight and inland lake temps are only in the mid 50s. I hope its warmer in Apple Valley!

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

hi Tom, It is warmer here am sure, my go bassing note was for Coffee, who is a friend in my fishing club. have a good year up north, hope it doesn’t toooo cold there this week. Jack.

tom_gursky

Spent about 4 hours drifting the center Reef area last evening and it was slooow. Four “shorties” and two 16 inchers. There was a decent south wind too.
    A lot of boat pressure and some PWT guys already pre fishing the Walmart Tourney on June 12th.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.