Metro Ice

• Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Rip, is that just pvc and grip tape ?

Ripjiggen

Yes pvc and grip tape. I have bungee cords that run through the pipe to put a little downward pressure on the sled but probably not necessary unless going up and down a slope.

I’ll try and take a picture stored but basically disconnect one side swing the arm parallel with ski. So it stores about as wide as two skis height is whatever you make it. It all stays connected except one side of pvc.

No bolts or assembly except popping the pipe in on one side.

I have thought about adding rod holders and auger mount but honestly everything fits in my sled so I haven’t been bored enough to modify yet.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Thanks rip. I’ll be bribing the plumber for some material tomorrow.

Ripjiggen

No problem. It works for me and kind of just cobbled it together from some pvc I had laying around in garage. Couple recessed screws in the bottom.
    I really like how light it is and not many parts involved to roll around in bed of truck.
    I use for my single man and then sled with hub.
    May need some additional tubing for a gigantic otter but not really sure as it’s pretty sturdy.

FinickyFish

There is a utube videa where a guy did a similar design with galvanized pipe. Everything just screws in. I ended up going the wood route, but if you needed something a little sturdier than the pvc for more weight I really liked the galvanized build since it packed up nicely.

Gregg Gunter

Thanks for the props guys. I decided to use ratchet straps because I have 3 sleds and didn’t want to bolt it down. It’s key to pull from the ski tips so you’re pulling up. And mount the sled towards the back for the same reason. The other key is to square it up so the sled doesn’t pull to the side. Got Goodwill skis with wider tips and tails for more floatation. Then used 2×6 for extra height and oak cross arms for strength.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I’m planning on camping in the hub over a really quiet spot and catching those big crappies I’ve been posting again with my kid. Hope the fish are there again

Ripjiggen

Down hill greater than cross country.

Ripjiggen

I’m planning on camping in the hub over a really quiet spot and catching those big crappies I’ve been posting again with my kid. Hope the fish are there again

If you need help setting up camp…cough cough let me know. jester

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

I also like big crappies and can bring the best coors lights you have ever had jester

Brittman

I went downhill skis building mine last year. Goodwill usually has them if you look around. Sometimes they are standing up in a bin and other places laying on a shelf. It took me two places to find the ones I wanted.

queenswake
    NULL

There is a smitty group in Facebook where you see the new trend is using the ladder stabilizers from Menards or the Gorilla work platforms for theirs. Gives a lot of clearance and puts the stuff at an easy height to work with.

I just use the standard 2×4 cross braces that pull out so you can wrap the skips and those in a tight package for transport in the truck.

deltak

Sorry if this is against the rules or whatever, but is there a metro lake I could walk on this weekend with a chance to catch some crappies? This is my first year and I keep getting skunked on the city lakes going for walleye or pike, and see other lakes that are so big I don’t know where to begin. Don’t care about keepers, just want a chance at some decent action. And don’t want to drown. Thanks

tim hurley

Lakes are mostly safe for walking except for the usual dangerous areas like inlets outlets and channels.

deltak

Lakes are mostly safe for walking except for the usual dangerous areas like inlets outlets and channels.

Nice. So when people are asking about ice, they are concerned with driving their truck or snowmobile out?

Ripjiggen

Correct. Not going to blanket statement but pretty sure every lake is safe to walk.

Brittman

First ice discussion is foot traffic, next is 4 wheeler or snowmobile. By this time of year foot traffic is as safe as it could ever be.

I always suggest newbies fish near where others are. As you learn the lake – you move out on your own to find untapped honey holes.

Don’t crowd others on the ice. I have found other anglers are chatty in the parking lot. Most will share if there are unsafe areas.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Sorry if this is against the rules or whatever, but is there a metro lake I could walk on this weekend with a chance to catch some crappies? This is my first year and I keep getting skunked on the city lakes going for walleye or pike, and see other lakes that are so big I don’t know where to begin. Don’t care about keepers, just want a chance at some decent action. And don’t want to drown. Thanks

Not sure of where you live but if you want to PM me I can put you on some crappies on tonka and ensure you’re safe. Not much to worry about right now but I know just being assured by more experienced people can provide some comfort

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Where I have been doing well for a mix if nice sunfish and crappies have been places like the below picture. The red circle on the less steep part of the point has been very good to me. I also would suspect the blue circle would hold fish as well but I have been doing well on points like that one and havnt needed to move. They are probably pushed deeper but drill a bunch of holes from shallow-deeper to the base of the break and see where they are. (This isnt the exact lake just an example from bald eagle, that area is a zoo so I’m really not giving much away from that lakes standpoint)

Attachments:
    1. CD8BDAB0-D2E9-483B-8CA0-ACBB014C0F14.jpeg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Not hot and heavy. But they come through

Attachments:
    1. Resized_20230121_095402.jpeg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Nazi zombies in the ice in the hub.

Attachments:
    1. 20230121_182759-scaled.jpg

2. 20230121_171108-scaled.jpg

queenswake
    NULL

Is that Wolfenstein then? Or Doom? Never seen a projector out on the ice before. Crazy what guys are doing now and bringing with them. You got some nice slabs there, too.

Aboxy17

No slush where you are? I was gonna camp out tonight but it would have been impossible with the 7-8 inches of slush I had down here in Lindstrom.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Clearwater is a slush fest and about 10-14” of ice. Only one kid stepped in a hole today.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

No slush where you are? I was gonna camp out tonight but it would have been impossible with the 7-8 inches of slush I had down here in Lindstrom.

I won’t and don’t say on line. But as in being from Lindstrom,, Chisago is my go to and daily fishery. South, north both are rough, Chisago is thankfully the same. I haven’t traveled very far from my home of north branch. Just thought out side the box.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

Is that Wolfenstein then? Or Doom? Never seen a projector out on the ice before. Crazy what guys are doing now and bringing with them. You got some nice slabs there, too.

I’m not really sure. I’m not a video game kind of guy, but I did whoop 2 12 year Olds butts in it. They beat me fishing I beat them in there own game

Attachments:
    1. 20230121_182644-scaled.jpg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

We brought lights. Ps4, and made life comfy. We came knowing we were not pounding fish, but we are catching crappies bigger then most guys walleye. So we chill and play games and play with the kids. Drag the kids behind a sled and have fun. Have to set it up where both kids and moms are happy. I also don’t give in to the crowd that spends 40k to have half the mobility. I sold our shack and went backwards to a big hub. Not as awesome. Takes a bit of set up, but it’s great. I’ll re buy that same shack again in a year or 2 when it goes from 10k, to 27k, and I’ll buy it back again at 10 or
    less.

Aboxy17

I won’t and don’t say on line. But as in being from Lindstrom,, Chisago is my go to and daily fishery.

Yeah, everything just got worse with the last snow. Only good part is it keeps a lot of the traffic off the lake. I will be out again today and will update on slush conditions. Hopefully, this 19 degrees magically froze all the slush last night. I have not targeted the pans yet but have been getting some decent ones while after walleye. Walleye bites been the same old. 2-3 fish during primetime hours most are eater size.

Attachments:
    1. FullSizeR-1.jpg

2. IMG_1770-1.jpg

Viewing 30 posts - 151 through 180 (of 245 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.