Metro Ice 2020

• Deuces
    Participant

I believe you are referring to Calhoun.

Haven’t fished it during ice yet.

After walking and dragging my $hit everywhere yesterday I’ve determined to either lighten my load, or find closer parking, or lose weight.

Think I’ll find better parking. coffee

Chris
    Participant

Yeah, Calhoun.

Should be plenty of parking along the parkway near 36th. Then just a short trek out to that area.

I will say, never caught a perch over 6in out there, but if you find them it’s typically one after another.

Matt Moen
    Participant
    South Minneapolis

Minneapolis city lake… 10” of ice yesterday and crappies to boot.

Attachments:
    1. C79B842C-4A9F-45D7-99D1-AE2D5BA0702A.jpeg

Deuces
    Participant

Hell yes nice work.

I felt a curse was upon me yesterday, this proves it.

welliou
    Participant

Was on Medicine today and measured ice at 11.5″ on the north end. caught a few nice sunfish.

mxskeeter
    Participant
    SW Wisconsin

Hey Matt those are nice crappies. Do you have them posed for the pic on a 4×8 piece of cardboard? Just asking? whistling

Matt Moen
    Participant
    South Minneapolis

Hey Matt those are nice crappies. Do you have them posed for the pic on a 4×8 piece of cardboard? Just asking? whistling

Hah….that’s pretty good.

Wesley Trebesch
    Participant

Anyone here ever fish the mill pond in Champlin?

The past few weeks I’ve noticed a couple portables out in the afternoon on either side of 169. I used to see a guy out a lot of mornings on my way to work, but that was several years ago. Don’t think I’ve seen anyone out there recently before this year though. Just curious what they might be after out there.

mnfisherman18
    Participant

Was out on Tonka yesterday and the ice was super variable. Saw 10″ in some spots and was surprised to only have 4″-5″ in others. Nothing much else to report other than a bunch of 6″-8″ crappies.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

Was out on Tonka yesterday and the ice was super variable. Saw 10″ in some spots and was surprised to only have 4″-5″ in others. Nothing much else to report other than a bunch of 6″-8″ crappies.

I saw about 15 trucks parked out there a few days ago. Those are some really questionable decisions being made if the ice is only that thick.

Matt Moen
    Participant
    South Minneapolis

Saw trucks on Green yesterday but I didn’t go out and fish so not sure on ice conditions. Solid 12” on Nokomis all over the place.

mnfisherman18
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mnfisherman18 wrote:</div>

I saw about 15 trucks parked out there a few days ago. Those are some really questionable decisions being made if the ice is only that thick.

I agree. I expected to see 10”-12” everywhere so I was definitely surprised to see 5”. This was on Maxwell bay for reference

Mark Mead
    Participant
    Burnsville

On Saturday we measured 7.5 inches on the north end of Prior, and there were vehicles all over the place. The Suburban didn’t go through but the one ton diesel tandem axel wasn’t as fortunate. We walked out.

KPE
    Participant
    River Falls, WI

Lots of trucks on forest Lake yesterday, I measured about 11″. Use the 4 wheeler until we get over 13, can’t afford to replace my truck

OG Net_Man
    Participant

Natures way of weeding out the ……

fishmantim
    Participant

Whitebear on Sunday…fished north end out of the public landing..walked out to Ordway Bar and fished. Ice is very variable, saw 5 inches and 11, no one driving but did see car tracks going out a little ways which I’m not sure what to think about..maybe sanity took over..drove by Bald Eagle also and didn’t see anyone driving out there either but lots of people.

Chris
    Participant

Seen a few folks driving out on Minnewashta. 13″ everywhere I checked, which is probably the minimum I’d go out on. Everyone’s chasing that crappie bite, but I pulled up 6 bass the other day. Definitely a fun, varied lake.

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

Wagner’s Bay on Lake Waconia had plenty of ice for a truck a week ago, but I would not go anywhere on the main lake with one. There was still open water in at least 6 spots in late December.

bechjl15
    Participant

Fished out on Nokomis Sunday afternoon into dark on the south end of the lake in the deeper hole. Tons of fish on the graph but managed only 15 or so 6-8″ Crappie. Caught on plastics jigging. not much happening with Minnows that day and once dark hit the fish were not active. Easily 12″ of ice there. Got to play with the new Lite Flight auger too which is pretty slick.

This weekend I’m hitting up the trout opener in the morning and then joining a buddy on Tonka in Browns Bay to watch some football and talk stupid. Have seen some walleye caught in this area with pictures. Assuming a deadstick with a red hook & shiner? or can a guy get a bite or two jigging for them?

Deuces
    Participant

Tonka not looking good. As I’m typing this see a sled shooting across the dark stuff so maybe it’s still good?

Either way you won’t see me on it

Attachments:
    1. PXL_20210310_145911298.jpg

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

Is that open water in the distance? Sure looks like it

bechjl15
    Participant

Yeah the ice is definitely going quick. The rain today will make that ice disappear even faster.

Shorelines have been gone on most places. Saw a car on Medicine Lake Monday evening that launched from the East Park Beach, but that ice did not look good at all.

Chad
    Participant

On Tonka, there’s still over a foot and a half of ice. Was out yesterday and caught plenty of fish, mostly small with a few 11 inchers mixed in for Crappies.

Norsky
    Participant

Looks like Prior lake has opened up for the most part

Viewing 25 posts - 31 through 55 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.