Metro Ice 2020

• Chris
    Participant

Checked about half a dozen lakes in the South and West subs, all lakes with public accesses. 2-4″ across the board, with some variable cloudy ice. For the most part, looked like a pretty solid foundation. I imagine we’ll have safe ice in a week or two, barring some of the warmer weather coming back our way. I’m sure a few enterprising folks will be out sooner. Stay safe y’all!

Dominick Winge
    Participant
    Saint Paul, MN.

Ice on ponds/lakes near West Side Saint Paul area or nearby cities within about a 6 mile radius from the West Side? I’ve been bank fishing pool 2 of the Mississippi from Lilydale down to the Wabasha st bridge nearly everyday for the past few weeks targeting walleye/Sauger/Smallmouth/ and rough fish and I haven’t gotten so much as a bite using crawlers, minnows, and artificials fished stationary and jigged, I’m at a bit of a loss here. I understand they’re not likely to be in the same areas that they’d normally be easily found during the summer but I’d think I’d at the very least have gotten a bite or two, I’ve tried fishing on the bottom with a small hook and whole crawler and it’d sit for a few hours without a nibble, maybe that’s not unusual and I’m just unaware of it but I mean for gods sake these fish are playing hard to get haha! I’m a diehard fisherman and just being out there is fun in general but it gets old and I’m considering trying lakes/ponds instead. TIA

mahtofire14
    Participant
    Mahtomedi, MN

There’s not much other than small ponds that have safe ice right now. I got on a small bay on a large lake that had 3 inches over the weekend but I would imagine with the warm up this week that probably won’t be safe. Might be another week.

tim hurley
    Participant

I’m looking at the weekend after next.

LabDaddy1
    Participant

Dom- if you’re looking for info in fishing the river I would post in the Mississippi River sub forums.

Dominick Winge
    Participant
    Saint Paul, MN.

Dom- if you’re looking for info in fishing the river I would post in the Mississippi River sub forums.

I wasn’t aware those forums had been created. Thank you for letting me know.

Matt Moen
    Participant
    South Minneapolis

I’ll make a run by Harriet this week and post. I live by diamond lake…which isn’t really a lake….and it’s still open.

I was on chisago this morning and Green last night and they have a solid 4-5” in the back bays. Didn’t venture onto the main lake.

Dominick Winge
    Participant
    Saint Paul, MN.

There’s good fishing on Chisago? I’ve never been there.

LabDaddy1
    Participant

Matt- Calhoun and Harriet are usually the last metro lakes to freeze up, being 80-90 feet deep. I’m sure you already know that though.

tim hurley
    Participant

Calhoun is the last in the state to freeze!

Matt Moen
    Participant
    South Minneapolis

I thought with the cold the last couple nights Harriet would at least be locked up. I know they are about last – I live close and fish them quite a bit.

I was hoping to get some tips ups going one evening but Harriet is about 50% open still.

fish-them-all
    Participant
    Oakdale, MN

Most lakes in the chisago city area are good panfish and bass lakes. Crowded, but they still keep producing.

Matt Moen
    Participant
    South Minneapolis

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dominick Winge wrote:</div>

Most lakes in the chisago city area are good panfish and bass lakes. Crowded, but they still keep producing.

Yep – once trucks can get out I don’t fish the lakes anymore but all of them have good fishing opportunities.

bechjl15
    Participant

Medicine Lake in Plymouth has 4-5.5″ out from the East Medicine Lake Park. Crystal clear ice, and it holds a fall from a 200 lb guy who slipped even with cleats on :-).

However, there is open water in the middle of the lake, so Do not venture in the dark.

I fished from the outside weededge (11/12Ft) out to the 35 ft hole on the south end, and didnt mark much.

Saw a half dozen shacks on Eagle Lake in Maple Grove/Brooklyn Center but I did not venture out.

Ross Gunderson
    Participant

I live right next to eagle and there is still a huge chunk of open water in the main bay. Only real area people are trying is that southern tiny bay. Looks like more people out on medicine today. Always fun to chase pike on medicine. We used to do well on those chain of lakes in Brooklyn center for northern. Wonder if they are froze up?

bechjl15
    Participant

Any particular spots better than others for tip up fishing Medicine? Assuming Weedlines but all I have really targeted is Bluegills there with quite a bit of success actually.

You’d think living 5 minutes away from it I’d put the boat in it during the summer, but never have!

Deuces
    Participant

Pop up on north twin yesterday.

Moen, we’ll have to share some harriet secrets. One of my favs to ice fish.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

You’d think living 5 minutes away from it I’d put the boat in it during the summer, but never have!

I’ve caught some decent pike in that lake by accident when bass fishing. The most recent fisheries survey in July 2017 indicated that 23% of the pike in that lake were 28+ inches and the largest one sampled was 37.5 inches.

The biggest one I’ve run into is 35.5 inches.

Considering how many of our lakes are loaded with stunted pike, these numbers are actually pretty good, especially for a metro lake.

bechjl15
    Participant

The most recent fisheries survey in July 2017 indicated that 23% of the <em class=”ido-tag-em”>pike in that lake were 28+ inches and the largest one sampled was 37.5 inches.

The biggest one I’ve run into is 35.5 inches.

Considering how many of our lakes are loaded with stunted pike, these numbers are actually pretty good, especially for a metro lake.

Yeah I just read that fisheries study too!

Matt Moen
    Participant
    South Minneapolis

Pop up on north twin yesterday.

Moen, we’ll have to share some harriet secrets. One of my favs to ice fish.

Was hoping to get out there soon but just drove by it’s still wide open. Looks cold this week but you could still shore fish half the lake.

Let’s connect and get out there!

Deuces
    Participant

Hardy’s is a good place to get some bait. They did me some solid CS last year late ice coming to open up for some bait. Tip jar I’d imagine helps keep their access open to all us

bechjl15
    Participant

Mr Beads – Hardy’s is a great place for bait, as with Big B’s near Bass Lake. I’ll be getting bait from both places this winter, once the ice gets a bit back in better shape after this wind and warm weather stretch.

Ice – I found 6″ out on Turtle Lake in Shoreview Sunday afternoon, and it was all locked up. I did not venture all across the lake but saw a few walk out to the very middle. One guy had his Golf Cart out and a small skid house. 1st time ever there for me, looks like a good lake.

Ralph Wiggum
    Participant
    Maple Grove, MN

Weaver in Maple Grove is still open in the middle with about 1000 geese, ducks, and swans out there. Fish looks to have been locked up for a while. I’ve seen numerous portables and ice skaters out there–looks slick!

Ralph Wiggum
    Participant
    Maple Grove, MN

I live 5 minutes from Twin Lakes in BC. Saw someone walking out on middle Twin yesterday. Didn’t actually fish it much last year but I’ll probably try it a little more this winter.

There are fish in there?! rotflol We used to live a few minutes from Twin. I have been on it a few times but don’t think I have ever wetted a line there. I did talk to a guy on the fishing pier once who was targetting (quite successfully) bowfin. Was pretty cool to see. He claimed they were good eating.

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

I drove around Waconia on Saturday, probably 6-10 open water holes still. People were fishing Waconia Bay tho, and that was all locked up.

Chris
    Participant

Got out to Minnewashta yesterday. Slayed some big sunnies and even a few crappies in shallow water. Few other guys out there. The basin that gets all the attention had about 10″ of ice on it now, so I expect there to be a few permanents out there soon.

Deuces
    Participant

Harriet has 4-5″ from west side all the way to south. Personally I wouldn’t be venturing thru the middle of lake without a spud just yet.

Now, whether the lake has fish still remains to be seen. Fished all day without seeing or marking a thing.

tim hurley
    Participant

Never has been a numbers lake.

Chris
    Participant

The drop offs from the flat straight off from 36th St have always been good to me. A lot of perch, few walleye even. Just gotta find the right depth, which seems to vary day to day.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.