Metro hot water heater recommendation install

• Brittman

I inspected my GE SmartWater Gas Water Heater label. In small print … it says it was manufactured by Rheem … as suspected.

Appreciate the share on the Ariens snowblower above. My unit is one of the best purchases I have ever made. Handles it all. I maintain it well and nothing has happened except a shear pin popped (as intended) when I hit a snow hidden newspaper (I did not have a subscription evil ). My neighbors seem to appreciate it too. grin

Brittman

By the way GEAppliances is majority owned by Haier (in 2016).

Haier is a China headquartered company. That said, they still do produce some appliances in the USA. Haier has the right to use the GE brand name.

shefland
    Walker

between you tube and a friend, do it yourself, some hassles but save a lot!! earlier this winter I did, $700 for the heater, couple of hrs, 2 trips to the hardware store, then done

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

His wife won’t let him. She knows his capabilities. I’m thinking you should just do it yourself qnd prove to her you are the man

tim hurley

Ok Bear, if she ever got the idea I could fix something I would never fish!
    Plus my auntie would find out and I would be running over there too.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Ok Bear, if she ever got the idea I could fix something I would never fish!
    Plus my auntie would find out and I would be running over there too.

Some times you just have to put your foot down. Fix what needs to be fixed and fish what needs to be fished. Think of the nice gift you could buy her with the money saved.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

I have one of these that lets me fix the water heater then go fishing.

Attachments:
    1. 3BFF5BE7-CFB1-45F7-B90F-78C19EE48518.jpeg

tim hurley

Like I could install it AND have time to fish.

tim hurley

I involves water, electricity & gas, what could possibly go wrong?!?!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I involves water, electricity & gas, what could possibly go wrong?!?!

Pretty easy to shut the breaker off, shut the gas valve, and shut the water valve. Now you have 0 live feed. I was trying to explain that it’s easier them you think. But I’m beginning to think your handy skills better call Mr Westman

dirtywater

I’m an idiot who sits in front of a computer all day and I pulled it off. The boiler I hired a pro for, but water heaters are not complicated. YouTube makes it almost too simple. Compared to my dad’s era when you had to learn by trial and error, the info is all at your fingertips today, you just have to get over the fear of messing up. Spray bottle with soapy water will tell you a lot.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

If you really want to know what could go wrong check out a Facebook page like “ban water heater sales from big box stores”. I’m not sure how some of these people ever evolved from slamming there weiners in the toilet seat.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20230314_115830_Facebook.jpg

Deuces

Brittman earned his Homer award in here.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Hope they have have positive pressure in that house. LOL

tim hurley

Did a ceiling fan with no help, did a valve cover gasket on my car when I was about 25, now I’m good, paid 15, have a receit if it blows up hopefully someone is alive to sue. Macho enough already. Thanks for the votes of confidence and roasts, some of you do big strays from the original request, but God bless the freedom here in the USA.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Off topic, but we put in a 75 gallon tank in our home and couldnt be happier. After a cold day on the water a nice, hot 30 minute shower is glorious.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

15 minutes is the max time limit in our house Dave. If you have scrubbed it for 15 minutes and it’s still dirty you need to re evaluate where it’s been. Only way to get extra time is ad a 2nd person to the shower.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

15 minutes is the max time limit in our house Dave. If you have scrubbed it for 15 minutes and it’s still dirty you need to re evaluate where it’s been. Only way to get extra time is ad a 2nd person to the shower.

It is a big shower, I crank up the tunes and could fit a few friends in there!

Brittman

I have no skin in the game here. I own no stock in HD outside of what may be hidden in a mutual fund or two.

Just stating in my limited experience that the HD subcontractors that have been in my home all were professional and excellent at what they do.

I have hired a well rated local plumber on the occasion that I could not handle the job myself. This gentlemen will get the first bid on the next water heater, but I am not going to overpay by more than 10-15%.

I already stated that for HVAC I went with my local and independent HVAC (only) contractor company. Before the new HVAC units – I signed up for the Excel HomeSmart plan. Their sub-contractor did a wonderful job keeping that old furnace and AC unit humming along and explained exactly why he yellow tagged the furnace when it was time.

I know quite a few people that move into new apartments and new homes and have issues with their new digs including mechanical issues on equipment. So if there is a problem – the general contractor must have purchased through the big box store ? You tell me …

Large general contractors buy from wholesale building supply companies because they provide them with the best value and as I eluded to … because there is on occasion a nice “entertainment” perk in doing so.

tim hurley

HD did a good job, warranty was good, quote over the phone was waaaay better than being on the hook for a 70 dollar separate visit, saved over 1k over our first estimate (thx again Grouse)If you feel good about doing it yourself more power to ya!

MX1825

rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Are there any 40 gallon natural gas atmospheric vented water heaters that have a metal drain valve. I don’t flush mine as often as I should since I have to tighten the plastic valve pretty tight to prevent leaking. I think it will break. I suppose I could use a cap if it does leak.

Coletrain27

Are there any 40 gallon natural gas atmospheric vented water heaters that have a metal drain valve. I don’t flush mine as often as I should since I have to tighten the plastic valve pretty tight to prevent leaking. I think it will break. I suppose I could use a cap if it does leak.

Just get a metal garden hose thread cap

tim hurley

My Rheem has some stirring system so the thing needs less draining.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

How much less Tim? Did they go over the recommended maintenence? It’s all in the owners manual.

Viewing 26 posts - 31 through 56 (of 56 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.