messages say they are from 5 hours ago. time zone issue?

• Reef W
    Participant

My messages always say they are from 5 hours before they actually are. That seems like a timezone issue but I can’t find anywhere to change that in my profile. Is there some way to fix this that I’m missing?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

@justdave might have a better answer.

Personally I don’t pay attention to the time stamp on the emails. When I follow the link to the post, I’ll check the time there.

That’s just me though.

Steve Root
    Participant
    South St. Paul, MN

I see the same thing with regular posts. I post something and somebody responds pretty much right away, and and the notifications says “XXXXX repsonded to your post 6 hours ago”. Not even close.

Just more stuff to keep Dave busy rotflol

SR

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Looks like site server time is set to GMT. (Greenwich Mean Time)

-J.

Dave Lozier
    Participant
    Amherst, WI

Jon is correct but not exactly. The database servers are using UTC which displays the same time as GMT. GMT is a time zone while UTC is a time standard. There is no daylight saving time associated UTC or GMT. The replacement code that is coming for the site will continue to use UTC but we’ll also be using javascript to adjust the display based on your computer/device settings. This is the best way to do it rather than try and calculate it on the server side or expect users to adjust their settings for it (and adjust for DST). Depending on the time passed the display will be dynamic like the way facebook shows events “time ago”.

http://timeago.yarp.com/

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.