NWA

• Todd_NE

The fishing was TOUGH at Merritt. This was the first time in my life I can remember going 4 days without a keeper – anywhere/anytime. The ONLY thing close was 2003 in Oct at Merritt where I caught ONE keeper in 4 days. My partner was fishless also – although we did catch walleye under 15″, a HOG crappie and some perch. Many teams reported catching pike also.

Pretty much it’s a blade bait/spoon bite. Something I do every three years whether I want to or not, in other words I’m whipped before I hit the water.

If you go – fish sharp drops, points, trees, humps, etc. That narrows down to 75% of the lake. Spoon or blade in 8-40′. Again, that’s a big help.

if you want to see the results – go to http://www.nebraskawalleye.com under the tourney section. I think 15 of the 38 or so teams did weigh a fish saturday, though almost all only weighed one. Sunday was much the same.

I wish I could say it was us, but many many good teams went the entire time or just the tourney without a keeper, including multiple past winners of this tournament.

I could either learn to spoon or avoid Merritt in Oct – guess which one I’m picking.

The place is beautiful, ducks are coming in, the alewive are thick (I was good at snagging them!).

Todd

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

It happens Todd. Thanks for the report!

zachary fries
    Central Nebraska

I don’t see any tourny results???

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

I don’t think they’ve posted the latest results yet. Too early yet…

Todd_NE

Usually they are up in a day or so, but they weren’t up yet last night. There is a lot to post with this being TWO tourneys – Regular and Top Gun Shootout – plus tabulating all the year results.

We tied for 4th this year so that was the important part for us – to have a good year. It’s the first time since 2003 I haven’t weighed a fish in a tourney so that was a good streak while it lasted!

Todd

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.