Mercury outboard parts

• sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

My brother bought a used boat with a Mercury 2 stroke 40hp on it and the steering tension knob is wore out. I can’t find a replacement part on the web. Anyone have a clue where to get one or the part number?

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

post the serial number of the outboard, so we can look at the parts list for that exact motor.

HRG

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

Have you tried this site? Punch your serial number in and see what you can find. You might also try using the search term “steering friction kit” as that’s how I’ve seen it identified more often than not.

404 ERROR
    MN

You can launch the parts catalog straight from the mercury marine website. From there, you should be able to find the correct serial range for that motor and find the part numbers on the schematic. Once you find the part numbers, you can call any Mercury dealer and give them the number and they can order you the part. If you would rather buy the part on your own, eBay is usually a good source. Copy and paste the part number from the schematic to eBay and you should find a plethora of dealers selling the parts.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

OK, thanks guys. I don’t have the serial # at the moment and when I launch the schematic off Mercury marine I don’t see it on there anywhere. I will have to physically look at the motor to see what type of a tensioner they put on that motor.

Miguel

Anyone here have a mercury 115 pro Xs.

hillhiker
    SE MN

It sounds like your looking for tiller handle part? FYI in some cases you need to look at the schematic for the actual tiller handle not the engine to get enough details on the tiller specific parts. When you launch the parts look up off the Merc site click on accessories, steering systems, and then tillers. You’ll still want the serial to make sure you get into the right vintage of handles.

hillhiker
    SE MN

My bad didn’t realize how old the tiller post was…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.