RedCedar River-Menomonie

• docfrigo
    Participant
    Wisconsin

All I can say is, what a great little river! Since pool 4 is up, cold and not 10 min. away, this little river is turning out to be a great “plan B”. After letting the day warm up to a balmy 28 degrees(up from 5 degrees in the AM ), loaded up the winter rig, called Dwight and within 15 min. the boat was off the trailer and within 30 secs from the landing the “spotlock” was engaged. The flow was down from days before, but the water temp. was down from weeks past due to the same thing happening to the ole Mississip-melt water is entering the system and essentially hitting the river with a MAJOR COLDFRONT. Clarity was down, so cameraing was out of the question but the plan was basic: cold fish do not want to be in flow and slack water is warmer–hence, if I were a minnow in that system right now, I’d find water that is NOT moving. Our game plan was simple–it would either be a reaction bite(bladebaits) or ultraSLOW presentation-i.e. hairjig and minnow SLOWLY dragged on the bottom with frequent pauses. The blades struck out(which happens more on the rare side), and the hair and meat struck gold. Those looking for hair jigs can check out Evert’s resort-Dean has the best and most complete selection you’ll ever see. On the day, 12 walleyes were put in the boat, all between 13 and 17 inches-small cookie cutter males that are waiting for the females to show up. My estimation is, the spawn is least 2 weeks out as water temps were a high of 34F and much melt water has yet to come thru the system. One young fella had the time of his life being towed around by a estimated 50lb sturgeon-he did land it and take a quick pic before it was put back. If you are going to hit the river, remember to wear your lifejacket, as you won’t last too long in 34 degree water.

Jesse Krook
    Participant
    Y.M.H.

Sounds like a good time Doc. Way to get on ’em

85lund
    Participant
    Menomonie, WI

Doesn’t take you long to figure out a new body of water

Nice Job Guys

riverwrat
    Participant
    Hastings/ Northfeild,MN

Nice Work Doc i took a break from the cold Miss myself this wk end and painted some f7 and f9s for pulling cable

Pete Bauer
    Participant
    Stillwater, MN

You’ve gotta quit putting these Red Cedar posts up Doc, I’m going nuts! Wish I was back in Menomonie!

Great job!

crossin_eyes
    Participant
    Lakeville, MN

When does the season close there? End of the month?

85lund
    Participant
    Menomonie, WI

Quote:

When does the season close there? End of the month?

Lucky for us eyes are open all year on this stretch of the river

crossin_eyes
    Participant
    Lakeville, MN

Very cool!!

docfrigo
    Participant
    Wisconsin

I am just wondering when the big girls are going to show up, have to be a few that migrate up this far. Pete–head east young man! We will find some time yet this spring, things are getting dragged out a little this year with the cold weather-but that’s not a bad thing .

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.