Red Cedar River-Menomonie

• docfrigo
    Wisconsin

Hard to believe, but lived in Menomonie for 15 or so years and never fished the Red Cedar in a boat-so Sunday afternoon-figured, what the heck. I called Dwight about 3:30, met at the landing at 4 and boat would not start at 4:10—-good thing you really don’t need the big motor down there right now with the flow-but made loading the boat a chore. Overall, I was really curious how this water layed out around the Hwy 29 bridge. My first assumption was that is was deep-well 10FOW was the deepest and the camera demonstrated both above and below the bridge to be a featureless sand flat with a few rocks below the bridge-mainly 6-9 feet deep with a few small trees here and there. Since the water clarity was approx. 5 feet-cameraing worked great and really demonstrated why the bite has been slow-or hit and miss….there were hardly any fish on the whole entire flat. What was there was northerns, quillback carp suckers, carp and one HUGE sturgeon. Yet, at times, and Pete’s past reports demonstrate-the fish can be there. So I assume this is a flat that fish cruise and feed-but don’t live on-hence the hit and miss.

Overall, we did catch 6 northerns on blades and plastics-along with a quillback carp sucker and 2 walleyes. My feeling is, the fish that are there-even being a few-are biters.

So, after I go and get a new battery the exploring will continue.

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

I never would have thought there were any walleye down there. Nice job Jeremy

jon johansen
    menomonie wi

doc. Hopefully my boat with be down there friday afternoon. Just pulled it home from storage sunday. Drove by the bridge at about noon seen some ice, was it still there when you got there?

docfrigo
    Wisconsin

FYI–might want to bring a bag of salt or sand with you to the landing. We had to throw the truck into 4 wheel drive as the landing was slick coming off. I hope to be down there again later this week-hoping the snow prediction is a bust.

jon johansen
    menomonie wi

We had a high pressure sunday which probably didn’t help with the walleye bite. The northerns might have pushed the walleye up river after all if you get four boats in there its tight. Lets keep this honey hole to ourselves Dang this is IDO, now We just told everybody Looook out Pete will be down there now!

docfrigo
    Wisconsin

Oh, Pete probably already has his boat hooked up! It’s an interesting dynamic down there on this stretch of river-being smaller and skinnier water, fish might move far further than you’d ever expect between resting areas and feeding areas. That’s what is nice about the camera-it does not lie!
    Your right, damn internet. There’s a difference between helping out a fellow fisherman and spoonfeeding-think IDO does things very well.

Now, get catfish info out of BK–that is tight lipped!

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Nice fish Guys!

Heh, I’d have been down there all winter if I still lived in Menomonie… My 14ft leaks bad from all the rivets I’ve loosened up, busting up ice down there!

From previous experience… I’ve had to unhook the boat trailer from the truck, pull the truck to the top of the ramp, and use a tow-strap to pull the boat/trailer up.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.