Well, That’s a Wrap! – Menomin

• stretchout
    Menomonie, WI

So, I’m sitting in the office late yesterday afternoon and get a phone call from home. It’s my 10 year son, who tells me that he’s already done with homework, chores, etc. When I ask what he really wants, he says “It’s not raining yet. Can’t we go ice fishing one last time tonite?” Well, let’s just say I made it work out. We had to work a bit to find willing biters last night, but it was still a good way to end the ice season for us.

Overall, this winter was decent for us on Menomin. Crappies in general ran a bit smaller, but we caught more “slabs” over 13″, with several passing the 14″ mark. Gills definitely made a jump in the right direction, with steady action on big fish. Never hit the 11″ mark, but had at least a couple dozen passing 10″ and many over 9″. Perch were streaky, but decent size structure and numbers when we would get into them. Didn’t do much fishing for walleye this year, as the early ice Gill bite was so good that we concentrated on that.

Highlights for the year were a couple of PB’s. Ben is pictured with a 9 1/2″ gill, which he topped twice later the same day with PB right at the 10″ mark. We were being watched closely from a distance that day, so the others were quickly put back down the hole without any pictures. Everything over 9″ is measured and then released without question, and it’s very fun when the kids get that.

My Dad doesn’t do a lot of fishing, and his mobility is limited. We did manage to get him out a couple times for short manageable trips, and he capped it off with a PB crappie that was just under 14″. This is the only fish over 12″ that was kept all season, as he wanted to show Grandma. Very fun when he was just as excited as the kids!

We had some great days, and we had others that we had to work hard, with little to show for our efforts. But I was reminded that we never had a trip where we were skunked completely. Looking forward to first ice next year!

mike-west
    Amery, WI

Outstanding way to wrap up the season. Even better yet when you get coaxed in by a “I’ve done everything that needs to be done at home Dad” son who can’t stand the idea of not getting out one more time.

Priceless

chappy
    Hastings, MN

Nice! And really nice thing to be teaching your son the value of letting the big ones go. One or two for the wall, But that’s the genes for the next go round of Bluegills. Nice Job!

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

Quote:

Outstanding way to wrap up the season. Even better yet when you get coaxed in by a “I’ve done everything that needs to be done at home Dad” son who can’t stand the idea of not getting out one more time.

Priceless

X2

More young kids need Dads like you & others on this sight.

smitty1
    Duluth/Hermantown/Owatonna MN

Way to U go Dad! Pals forever!

stretchout
    Menomonie, WI

I also have twins that are 8. They will come fishing as well, but it’s definitely on their own terms. I don’t take the time I spend with them for granted, no matter what it is that we are doing. If that time is doing ANYTHING outdoors, even better.

I can say that fishing with 1 boy at time…no problem. 2 boys at time…workable. 3 at a time…challenging!

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Way to go, Stretch!

louis-robinson
    dodge co. mn

reading this post reminds me of why i put in so many hours at work and spend so little time with the fellas… thanks for the great read sir.. i have twins also.. 6 year old girls and a 7 year old boy.. they absolutly just love being outdoors with dad…spring time is definatly an exciting part of the year for ” TEAM robinsons”

swlund
    Cuba City, WI

Quote:

I also have twins that are 8. They will come fishing as well, but it’s definitely on their own terms. I don’t take the time I spend with them for granted, no matter what it is that we are doing. If that time is doing ANYTHING outdoors, even better.

I can say that fishing with 1 boy at time…no problem. 2 boys at time…workable. 3 at a time…challenging!

Great job. I just love reading stories like this. When I was a young lad I would stay at my Grandpa’s farm on the weekends and summers. Sometimes there was 1 or more cousins also. Grandpa’s old saying was this ” 1 boy you have a whole boy. 2 boys you have half a boy. 3 boys you have no boys.” He was talking about a little help on the farm. Still holds true in many settings.

huls

How much ice is out there?

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

Great job as usual Chris The boys will never forget their time on the ice with you. Awesome to know the young men are learning conservation at the young age. They can and will pass that on to some of their friends as they grow

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.