Marcum Lithium Shuttle Battery Life & Replacement

• fishinfreaks
    Participant
    Rogers, MN

So I’ve had the Lithium Shuttle for two seasons now. (2 right?). I got it pretty quick after it was released, if I remember right. I’m wondering what the projected life is on them. I’ve done a good job of keeping the battery charged over the summer. But I was just looking into replacement batteries for them. $140 from Marcum, and apparently they need to do the service to it? That’s insane.

Anyone had to replace a battery from the shuttle? What’s the life experience been?

ec1
    Participant
    NULL

If taken care of by storing these batteries properly, lifepo4 should be lasting thousands of charges. Lithium tech has become very reliable now imo.

B-man
    Participant

I wouldn’t worry about one bit until that time comes.

glenn-d
    Participant
    N C Illinois

Mine after 1 year will not last over 6 hours on the ice. It’s a bummer because I really liked it. I made my own shuttle out of a Vexilar Pro Pack.

iTinker
    Participant

Do not charge it when it’s cold. LiFePO4 batteries get damaged when charged cold. Never let it get below 20%, never leave it sitting for extended periods at 100%. If you do those 3 things, it’ll last–even if it’s a Marcum.

muskie-tim
    Participant
    Rush City MN

Mine after 1 year will not last over 6 hours on the ice. It’s a bummer because I really liked it. I made my own shuttle out of a Vexilar Pro Pack.

I had the same problem. Contacted Marcum and they said to send it in and they replaced the battery for free. I was just under one year so was still in warranty.

tmyboy2001
    Participant
    Lakeville, MN

Mine went out after a few months. Wouldn’t hold a charge and the LED hole light wouldn’t turn off, either, regardless of the rocker switch position. Display was messed up, too. Brought it back to Marcum and they replaced the battery no charge. I suspect I got a whole new unit since just about everything that could go wrong went wrong. Weird thing was when I brought it in, they just said “Not working?” and took the unit, my information, and called me the next day saying it was ready.

glenn-d
    Participant
    N C Illinois

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>glenn-d wrote:</div>

I had the same problem. Contacted Marcum and they said to send it in and they replaced the battery for free. I was just under one year so was still in warranty.

Ya mine was 1 year and 1 month old so the CS person said 145.00 to fix.

bigcrappie
    Participant
    Blaine

You can get a 12 Lithium battery pack on Ebay for $34 with a charger. Lot cheaper then $140

fishinfreaks
    Participant
    Rogers, MN

You can get a 12 Lithium battery pack on Ebay for $34 with a charger. Lot cheaper then $140

Does it fit in the Marcum shuttle? Without any modifications?

glenn-d
    Participant
    N C Illinois

Tried that route even went to a battery store and the pack Marcum uses is a custom size. You can go with a smaller battery maybe it’ll fit.

Gary FOX
    Participant

Same problem went today after six hours of fishing was down to 28% . Thought they would last more than two seasons for the price.

Cameron white
    Participant

Are these straight lithium, or lifepo4 batteries?

Steve Hix
    Participant
    Dysart, Iowa

I love the shuttle but they can keep there 140 dollar send it in battery.

Attachments:
    1. Resized952019041795174336952314.jpg

2. Resized952019041795174320954542.jpg

troutbum
    Participant
    St. Paul

Hmmmm

Attachments:
    1. D881871F-9AC1-44A8-9619-F6BAA613FCC2.png

Steve Hix
    Participant
    Dysart, Iowa

What does that mean?

/

troutbum
    Participant
    St. Paul

Elephant in the room, STEVE

milemark_714
    Participant

Are these straight lithium, or lifepo4 batteries?

Lithium Ion Polymer battery.I can get 2 days on the ice with a LX3-tc,then meter says 40%.I only recharge when it is room temp.

eyeguy507
    Participant
    SE MN

kind of glad i made my shuttle out of the vex pro pack. $100 total for shuttle and ducer for the Helix. Batteries I had and added a few accesories for few bucks but it is custom the way I want.

glenn-d
    Participant
    N C Illinois

kind of glad i made my shuttle out of the vex pro pack. $100 total for shuttle and ducer for the Helix. Batteries I had and added a few accesories for few bucks but it is custom the way I want.

Same here it works great and you can add all kinds of stuff !!

tucrs
    Participant
    NW Metro

Not marcum related but I bought a Lithium from solar sportsman on 2015. I have used it a lot 100’s of cycles with no issues draining it from 100%- 0%.
    I used it all summer on my kids Peg Pergo tractor and then on a camera in the winter.

Not that they are all the same but the lithium batteries if they last that long in a shuttle I would be very happy. I am on 2 years on my shuttle.

I am diligent about making sure the batteries are warm before charging. I know the Solar Sportsman Rep said never charge when cold.

Did anyone charge the batteries when they were cold? I wondering if that kills the life of the batteries?

Steve Hix
    Participant
    Dysart, Iowa

Elephant in the room, STEVE

I know what it is but how is appropriate for showing what I did with my shuttle.
    Just showing one way to get around the battery issue.

glenn-d
    Participant
    N C Illinois

Not marcum related but I bought a Lithium from solar sportsman on 2015. I have used it a lot 100’s of cycles with no issues draining it from 100%- 0%.
    I used it all summer on my kids Peg Pergo tractor and then on a camera in the winter.

Not that they are all the same but the lithium batteries if they last that long in a shuttle I would be very happy. I am on 2 years on my shuttle.

I am diligent about making sure the batteries are warm before charging. I know the Solar Sportsman Rep said never charge when cold.

Did anyone charge the batteries when they were cold? I wondering if that kills the life of the batteries?

John I always charged mine either in my warm basement or in a warm motel room and that’s after riding in my warm pick-up. My electronics never go in the back bed. I guess I just got a bad battery. It’s funny that shuttle hasn’t been used since last January and has been in the basement and I just turned it on and it’s at 97% but as soon as you put it on the ice it gets wimpy.:???:

Randy Rowell
    Participant
    Rockland Wi

John I always charged mine either in my warm basement or in a warm motel room and that’s after riding in my warm pick-up. My electronics never go in the back bed. I guess I just got a bad battery. It’s funny that shuttle hasn’t been used since last January and has been in the basement and I just turned it on and it’s at 97% but as soon as you put it on the ice it gets wimpy.:???:
    [/quote]

My shuttle got replaced last year for that same issue. Now the replacement is acting the same. After about four on the ice down to about 50% warms up in the truck on the way home back up to 85-90%.

vinella
    Participant

Got my Lithium Shuttle (paired with LX-7) out last week for my first ice fishing outing of the season. Still had a full charge on it from the last time I charged it in spring. It worked like normal while fishing and showed that I used about 25% of the battery in 9 hours fishing. Brought it home, plugged it into the charger and it’s not taking a charge. The charger light shows green, but the battery meter still shows 75% and won’t increase.

Anybody had a similar issue? Wondering if it’s just the charger that’s bad or the battery? Shuttle and unit are about 2.5 years old and have been very well cared for.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.