Lake Monona

• wismitty
    Janesville wisconsin

Spent the weekend chasing gills again and the bite for the year has been less than stellar in comparison. The weekend brought a mix of rising barometer and colder temps for our area. We found bluegills in 6 or 7 feet in depth and the size was good with the average around 8 1/4 inches.Saturday you could catch a few within inches of the bottom of the hole and sunday with the higher barometer the fish were moving tight to the bottom out towards the flats to feed. We never found the best area on the flat to fish so we returned to the weeds to ambush them moving out and them back into the weds. Plastics were the ticket for me.Orange cjs ratso head with a white wedgie tail was my go to lure.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

I’ve heard reports of sporadic good gill bites on Turville bay, but have been chasing perch so have not checked it out.

wismitty
    Janesville wisconsin

You guessed it oh my goodness the word is out lol. The fish are there just not the right weather to turn them on. Also the pump house was good but too many guys with cell phones for me. Went crappie fishing yesterday at rock hgts and did ok with hair jigs and no bait

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

I used to fish Turville pretty religiously about 15 years ago but the bite went south for a few years in a row so I haven’t fished it in a while.

There are no secret spots or secret bites around Madison anymore. Typically, when you find a good bite, a bunch of other guys have found it too.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Quote:

There are no secret spots or secret bites around Madison anymore. Typically, when you find a good bite, a bunch of other guys have found it too.

John, that couldn’t be more true. On Mendota, I saw a guy with a spotting scope mounted on his ATV. Just sat there watching a group before making his run…..

wismitty
    Janesville wisconsin

yep sounds like the madison chain. I had a spot to myself last year on waubesa all to myself and the guy that lives near the spot drove out and told me had not seen anyone fish in that area for years. he saw what i was catching and the next day it looked like out near christys a couple years back.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.