LVS12 or PS22 Livescope and Panoptix Transducers (No Black Box)

• z-man
    Dousman, WI

So after taking the plunge into a new 106SV Ultra, I learned that it will support the LVS12 livescope transducer with no black box needed. Also found that my old 93SV will support a PS22 Panoptix transducer, again no black box needed. Found a used one of each for sale at very reasonable pricing, so now I’m considering buying one. I know the LVS32 and LVS 34 with the box are the cat’s meow in many respects, but have decided not to go that route. Seems to me that the LVS12 and PS22 would do the trick for me.

Anybody using either and how do you like it?

JoeMX1825
    MN

The LVS12 is just a 30 degree cone angle and the resolution isn’t sharp, it’s extremely limited… There’s a few youtube videos showing the LVS12 in action… I thought of permanently mounting a LVS12 to my boat as a scouting tool, but decided against it…

In terms of the PS22, I couldn’t stand the extreme pixeled view of the Panoptix transducer…

Imo you’re better off getting a new LVS32 system from BPS/Cabelas for $999 or buy a used one…

JoeMX1825
    MN

check out my “Livescope Hole Hopper Shuttle” post for an idea on how to utilize a LVS12 transducer…of course it has its limitations, but is there another live sonar option UNDER 12 pounds? nope…imo this is a perfect setup for catching panfish icefishing…

z-man
    Dousman, WI

So I pulled the trigger on an LVS12; Englund Marine had a clearance on them for $234 including shipping. I’ll be mounting it on the transom for a permanent installation on my 106SV Ultra. I know it’s limitations compared to the black box models, but decided not to go in whole hog. Will be installing it in the next few days. Reached out to Garmin to see if I can mount it right next to the GT-56 transducer, and they said that should be fine, as they don’t expect that the frequencies will cause any kind of interference one to the other.

Speaking of Garmin, I’ve been impressed with their fast responses to both phone and email contacts with the transducer installation question, and a previous minor issue I had with the side-scan imaging. Great service and tech help!

mojogunter

FYI: I bought the LVS32 when they first came out, and mounted to the transom. The beam is so narrow I found it borderline worthless. I was going to sell it, and shortly after people were figuring out having the ability to aim it was far more beneficial than a fixed transducer. After I remounted it I was more than happy with livescope. For me the transom mounted transducer is not worth it. At least if you’re not happy you don’t have more money invested and you can switch the way it is mounted if it turns out you don’t like it.

So I pulled the trigger on an LVS12; Englund Marine had a clearance on them for $234 including shipping. I’ll be mounting it on the transom for a permanent installation on my 106SV Ultra. I know it’s limitations compared to the black box models, but decided not to go in whole hog. Will be installing it in the next few days. Reached out to Garmin to see if I can mount it right next to the GT-56 transducer, and they said that should be fine, as they don’t expect that the frequencies will cause any kind of interference one to the other.

Speaking of Garmin, I’ve been impressed with their fast responses to both phone and email contacts with the transducer installation question, and a previous minor issue I had with the side-scan imaging. Great service and tech help!

z-man
    Dousman, WI

I know what you mean about the limitations. Most of my time fishing walleye is vertical jigging so I’m hoping the transom mount is workable for that. I’ll give it a go and if it’s not a useful tool, or a fun tool to find and “watch” fish with, then I’ll likely switch over to the stick mount. For a couple hundred bucks, thought it was worth a try.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Check out some of Aaron Weibe & Jay Siemens youtube videos, they mount their Livescope ducer on the boat transom with great results… it helps that Aaron is the GOAT though…

Henpecked

I purchased an LVS 12 for my 106 as well. I also have the 32. In my opinion I think the transom mount will be difficult to use for jigging unless you’re in pretty deep water. As Mojo said the beam is pretty narrow so keeping your jig in the beam will be a challenge. Similar to an ice ducer. It’s pretty useful for other purposes though. I use mine on the trolling motor to find those big rocks in my area before I hit them. Worth what you paid and hope it works well for you.

z-man
    Dousman, WI

I figured it’s usefulness would be limited when drifting/jigging a shallow river like the Rock. I also fish Petenwell and local lakes where I’m often jigging or drop-shotting in 15 to 30 fow, and the Milwaukee Harbor in open water for late season Lakers in 30 to 40 fow. Will post some feedback after getting out a few times. Looks like it will be delivered today.

z-man
    Dousman, WI

So I mounted the LVS12 on the transom about 5 inches portside of the GT-56 transducer , not knowing if the side-scan view might detect the LVS12, or if the LVS12 would “see” the lower unit. Actually had to slide the GT56 toward starboard a bit to make room for the LVS12, which raised the height of the GT56 a bit as well. The installation worked well. As a matter of fact, the GT56 side scan is no longer picking up the lower unit when trimmed down; previously had to tilt up a bit for port-side scanning.
    Played around with the lvs12 down-view for only a bit while gill fishing with grandson.(busy catching gills with a 9-year old). Had a tough time seeing the jig, but eventually caught glimpses of it while playing around with the settings. We were spot-locked in 18 fow with a patch of weeds right below us. Could spot gills milling around the weed patch with an occasional bigger fish swimming thru, guessing bass. Clarity was great. Didn’t do much with the forward view yet.

So I plan to go solo next time and get to know this new toy. Any suggestions from others’ experience with settings, tips, etc. appreciated.

JoeMX1825
    MN

So I mounted the LVS12 on the transom about 5 inches portside of the GT-56 transducer , not knowing if the side-scan view might detect the LVS12, or if the LVS12 would “see” the lower unit. Actually had to slide the GT56 toward starboard a bit to make room for the LVS12, which raised the height of the GT56 a bit as well. The installation worked well. As a matter of fact, the GT56 side scan is no longer picking up the lower unit when trimmed down; previously had to tilt up a bit for port-side scanning.
    Played around with the lvs12 down-view for only a bit while gill fishing with grandson.(busy catching gills with a 9-year old). Had a tough time seeing the jig, but eventually caught glimpses of it while playing around with the settings. We were spot-locked in 18 fow with a patch of weeds right below us. Could spot gills milling around the weed patch with an occasional bigger fish swimming thru, guessing bass. Clarity was great. Didn’t do much with the forward view yet.

So I plan to go solo next time and get to know this new toy. Any suggestions from others’ experience with settings, tips, etc. appreciated.

The LVS12 30 degree cone is going to make watching a moving lure extremely tough, in a boat it’s best used for slow speed scouting purposes imo…try the split screen view on the 106, you can watch Forward and Down view at the same time…the LVS12’s best use is for icefishing…

z-man
    Dousman, WI

So here’s my assessment of the transom-mounted LVS 12 after a couple days of playing around on Petenwell. I found it very useful as a fish-finding tool in detecting the presence of fish in standing, submerged timber and downed timber, which Petenwell has plenty of, in cases where traditional sonar showed unidentifiable marks. The forward view showed me the submerged standing trees ahead (15 to 20 fow) while scouting, and in a case or two, fish milling around them. Caught one suspended crappie casting into the “milling” fish. In down view, it also showed fish hanging around structure, or just swimming around featureless basin bottom. It confirmed to me something that I already knew: although the fish are there, they don’t always eat.
    I came across a tip that said to increase the color gain in sonar appearance to 90% to better see the jig or whatever bait you’re throwing. I did this and did see my jig a little better than before within the limited scanning angle zones of the forward and down views. But as said above, it is difficult to see your bait with the LVS12, especially when affixed to the transom, so this is not a video-game fishing transducer or set-up.
    So in summary, I’m happy with the end result, since I did not want to mess around with the black box and xducer on a stick set up. While the LVS12 has significant limitations to the more deluxe tools out there, it has significantly improved my fish-finding capability. Heading back to Petenwell later in October for a one week trip to improve my skills with the new toy.
    Oh, and here’s the fishing report. Went up to get some work done around my friend’s cottage, so only fished 4 to 5 hours the two days. Got lots (30 to 40) of undersize eyes each day with some legals mixed in. Also took home 6 nice crappie, a dozen perch at 10 to 12 inches, and released a dozen or so big white bass and 3 channel cats. Did the LVS12 help? I think so, since I spent more time scouting and confirming before dropping lines.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I think the LVS12’s best application is for panfish ice fishing directly under the hole…I’ll post some videos this hard ice season of my LVS12 Shuttle in action…

TOM

I shouldve picked up the LVS12 transducer when they were on sale half off, can’t find them now anywhere. Would love to see some footage of it this winter in both forward and down Joe. I heard you can run both views the same time on one screen…?

JoeMX1825
    MN

I shouldve picked up the LVS12 transducer when they were on sale half off, can’t find them now anywhere. Would love to see some footage of it this winter in both forward and down Joe. I heard you can run both views the same time on one screen…?

yep, you can!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.