Lund

• Umy
    South Metro

I have a 2019 Lund Impact.
    First NEW boat ever and only second boat ever (Got my first one, Lund 1989 Tyee in 2018.)
    Is it common for the screws to come loose on the dash or the floor or other places? Seems like I am constantly tightening screws.
    Just go back from Canada and I had one screw almost all the way out. 5 or 6 on the floor that were loose and several others.
    Just new to the boat thing so looking for insight. Thanks

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Yep, lock tight in metal or pieces of a tie strap inserted into the wood to hold. Join the Lund Impact group on FB they talk about this all the time.

Umy
    South Metro

WTF ?!?!?
    THank you – NEVER on Facebook but I’ll look into this.
    Just figured they should hold but not sure if it is common in boats or not.
    Hate to put Loctite in in case I want to get them out for some reason down the road ( floor for example)

Thanks!!

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

I use silicone.

-J.

dirtywater

I have a few that rattle loose on my Alumacraft as well, mostly if trailering long distance or if running the boat in rough water.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Loctite blue is used when you may need to remove, loctite red is more permanent.

Umy
    South Metro

Thanks guys!

eyekatcher
    Lakeville, MN

If you use silicone, make sure it is compatible with the metals involved.

Michael Saal
    Merrill, Wi

I’ve used toothpicks to tighten up loose screws. Break them off flush and insert screw.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

Umy, I experienced this with my last rig too, and I see it all the time on all the brands.

My screws loosen in 4 spots typically, and only after long road trips. The road vibrations seem to do it. I use blue loctite and put them back, this seems to last for a long time when the screws are going into metal.

I see some good advice above about screws that are in wood, which I will now use for my floors when I see them start to walk again!

Umy
    South Metro

Thanks guys. Yeah I think the general consensus is the vibrations from the long road trips. Was hesitant to use Loctite as it seems kinda permanent. Did not realize that there was a BLUE and a RED loctite. Will get some blue and have at it.
    I usually use toothpicks and glue in the hole for wood ( if it’s a bigger hole I use golf tees)

The Real Joe Blow

Loctite is really designed for machine screws or bolts with relatively fine threads going into either a nut or a threaded metal part, where there are several threads for it to solidify into (it’s kind of like crazy glue). It may or may not work well on self-tapping screws with coarse threads going into thinner sheet metal like a lot of the screws on the boat. In that case, coating the threads of the screw with 3M 4200 before running it back in might work better. That will make the screw stick in everything that it’s going through so it can’t turn itself back out from vibration. But still removable with enough torque on the driver. Try both and see what lasts longer.

Umy
    South Metro

Outstanding thanks

KPE
    River Falls, WI

My first screws to come loose were the ones holding the consoles to the gunwale, both port and starboard. I took them all out one at a time and re-inserted using blue loctite. They have not come back out since. This was around opener during my 2nd year of ownership, 2019.

The screws in my floorboards sometimes start to walk up a little bit. Always the ones near the coffin rod storage and the panel in the center that covers the fuel tank. Those ones I haven’t done anything other than re-tighten occasionally. I was afraid to strip them since they’re in wood. I will try out the toothpick method next time!

The Real Joe Blow

My first screws to come loose were the ones holding the consoles to the gunwale, both port and starboard. I took them all out one at a time and re-inserted using blue loctite. They have not come back out since. This was around opener during my 2nd year of ownership, 2019.

The screws in my floorboards sometimes start to walk up a little bit. Always the ones near the coffin rod storage and the panel in the center that covers the fuel tank. Those ones I haven’t done anything other than re-tighten occasionally. I was afraid to strip them since they’re in wood. I will try out the toothpick method next time!

The floor screws aren’t grabbing in wood. They are going *through* the wood flooring, and grabbing into aluminum ribs that are part of the structure that the wood floor sits on. So still, you don’t want to strip them as that part is relatively thin, but as I noted above, the loctite isn’t likely the best option as the screw is just into “sheetmetal”. In that case, coating it with silicone or 4200 will stop it from turning back out as it will “stick” in the 5/8″ thick plywood too and prevent it from turning.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.