lund ride and drive??

• jbg1219
    NW Iowa

I am very curious about the ride of the aluminum boats. I bought aluminum after having a glass tiller. I loved the ride of the tiller but it is just not a family boat. Now that I am back in aluminum, I am thinking of buying a new one. Can anybody tell me how a 20 foot alaskan will ride compared to a 1775 impact in the waves. I know the standard answer is longer boat spans waves better, but it is considerable lighter, too. I am curious how that will effect things.

brad-o
    Mankato

1775 impact ride is great. Had it on Kab last year in some big waves and was amazed by the performance.

jbg1219
    NW Iowa

I have been in a 1775 some and know a few guys who have them. They all like the boat… I am curious if the alaskan will ride just as well, even though it is ligeter weight. It is a longer boat however.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I have been in a 1775 some and know a few guys who have them. They all like the boat… I am curious if the alaskan will ride just as well, even though it is lighter weight. It is a longer boat however.

I had owned an 18 Alaskan and my only gripe way weight and the bow design. It was so light that it didn’t draft much water. Blew or “slid” on the water easily. On big bodies of water like lake MI it sucked for a SE wind. The bow was too blunt and it slammed into waves. make for a back jarring ride. However, in a northeast roller, it handled beautifully.

jbg1219
    NW Iowa

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>jbg1219 wrote:</div>
    I have been in a 1775 some and know a few guys who have them. They all like the boat… I am curious if the alaskan will ride just as well, even though it is lighter weight. It is a longer boat however.

I had owned an 18 Alaskan and my only gripe way weight and the bow design. It was so light that it didn’t draft much water. Blew or “slid” on the water easily. On big bodies of water like lake MI it sucked for a SE wind. The bow was too blunt and it slammed into waves. make for a back jarring ride. However, in a northeast roller, it handled beautifully.

This is good quality information here. Thanks!!

FryDog62

Friend of mine has an 18 Alaskan and an 18 foot Lund Explorer. Explorer is a much better ride and steers/maneuvers/trolls much better too. Not sure if its the deadrise or just the hull design in general. But that Alaskan is a tank and will take a beating but probably last 50 years too ~

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I should have mentioned this before. The Alaskan has the “flat Bottom” to the transom. Huge reason why it drafts less water. Im not 100% sure so verify this – I think the Impact has the V bottom hull that continues all the way back. Better if your setting it up for trolling

jbg1219
    NW Iowa

They both have the IPS hull. I still have yet to figure out the difference between IPS and IPS2 hull, and now I see they have the IPS3 out. I love the space and how wide wide open the alaskan is, but if its a terrible ride and does not track well, then I will not like the boat. I am starting to really lean towards the 1775 Impact XS. Still have time to decide however. Does not sound like Lund is taking orders at this time, and the only thing I know for sure is whatever boat I wind up with, it will have a Yamaha on it. My dealer only has lunds with Mercs on them already at this time, and the way they are selling, I am looking at a pretty good lead time.

milemark_714

The newer Alaskan will ride much better than the old style hull as Randy mentioned.I had an original Alaskan(1986 16′)and 1991 18′ that was Randy’s.I had a 1995 SV-16 that I sold when Randy offered me his.That SV-16 did ride nicer than the 18′,but the 18 had lots of space vs the 16.Alaskan hull design has been changed a few times since.

I wouldn’t hesitate getting a new Alaskan,but they are hard to find and very few come up for sale used.

jbg1219
    NW Iowa

I just told the dealer to price me the boats 2000 Alaskan Sport and 1875 Impact XS with Yamaha’s on them. As soon as pricing becomes available to him he is going to let me know. I had a conversation with gentleman that fishes from an impact around the midwest, and keeps a 20 Alaskan side council at his property in Canada. He indicated the impact is better all around boat for doint it all with a family, but the 20 Alaskan eats waves fine, and rides very nice. He did say he put a sand bag in the bow storage cubby under the bow mount to keep the bow down a bit. I go 260 and fish from the bow most of the time. I really like the idea of no carpet and that I cen get composite materials for the floor.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.