Lund Fury questions

• jbg1219
    Participant
    NW Iowa

I am possibly in the market for a 16 foot lund (or other brand) tiller. This boat will be used mainly for some panfishing, bass fishing, and walleye on small lakes. I had a 1989 lund rebel pro pike 16 that had a 30 HP evinrude 3 pedestal seats a rod rack on on one side and a livewell on the other side. I would like to find a mint setup used ot just buy new. I see the price of a new fury is pretty attractive. Does anyone have one? Is a 25 horse big enough to run safely. Not needing or wanting a speed demon. Just looking to fill a need. At the prices of used I think a new one may be the better value.

Mark Anderson
    Participant

I had a 1600 Fury tiller for four years. Mine had a 40 hp and had a top speed of 27 mph with 2 guys and gear. I have since traded for a bigger boat, but if I was buying a new Fury I’d max the horsepower, which is 40 hp for that hull. It’ll have better performance, especially if you bring that 3rd person. If it matters to you, the resale is always better with the maximum allowed power.

mrpike1973
    Participant

Just bought one this year 50 trips so far 25 hp Mercury 2 people 23.5 MPH. I love it. Make sure you get the 1500# trailer the 1400# is worthless after I upgraded to the 1500# bunk style I can go any ware with it pulls nice good on gas I like the rod storage the most I little tight but better than none.

dirtywater
    Participant

The difference between the 25 and the 40 is gonna be maybe 2-4 mph top speed. More power is always good but the 16 footer with a 25hp is a pretty classic northern MN setup.

Run an alumacraft fisherman 160 with 25 Yamaha and was doing 23 upstream with my 14yo today.

Mike
    Participant

I ordered a 1600 Fury last year with a 40 Yamaha and a very nice Trailmaster with matching blue paint, C channel, torsion axle, 2 spares, and aluminum wheels. I used it for one season then traded it off for a bigger boat this spring. I could go 30 mph with just me on glass. It is at Rock River Marina in Edgerton Wis. I did the 20 hour oil/filter and lower unit change then another oil/filter change in the fall before storage. I was very happy with the BM&T. I went back to my Lund dealer in Feb wanting to order a Lund Pro Guide but they said all 2021 orders where taken and that I could get a 2022 but would not see it until late in the year so I traded it for an Alumicraft in stock at RRM. It is probably the nicest used Fury and Trailmaster out there. I dont know what the price is.

Attachments:
    1. 20200615_094745-scaled.jpg

2. 20200611_155101-scaled.jpg

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

Just bought one this year 50 trips so far 25 hp Mercury 2 people 23.5 MPH. I love it. Make sure you get the 1500# trailer the 1400# is worthless after I upgraded to the 1500# bunk style I can go any ware with it pulls nice good on gas I like the rod storage the most I little tight but better than none.

Thats crazy. My 91 mariner 25 pushed my boat at 23.5 with 2 loaded with decoys.

O would go with a suzuki 30 if possible. My old man just bought a smoker craft with a 25, then upgraded after 2 days from a merc 25 to the suzuki 30. That boat is nice and you won’t eat the lund price tag.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

That is a sharp looking boat Mike. The matching blue trailer really adds nice flare. Don’t see too many trailers with two spare tires.

dirtywater
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mrpike1973 wrote:</div>

Thats crazy. My 91 mariner 25 pushed my boat at 23.5 with 2 loaded with decoys.

O would go with a suzuki 30 if possible. My old man just bought a smoker craft with a 25, then upgraded after 2 days from a merc 25 to the suzuki 30. That boat is nice and you won’t eat the lund price tag.

What’s crazy?

Upgrading a 25 to 30, that’s crazy to me.

mrpike1973
    Participant

Bearcat crazy for speed? seems average to me. I think it goes quite fast for what it is no speed demon gets the job done though.

jbg1219
    Participant
    NW Iowa

Pike… You are exactly the person I was hoping would chime in here… I knew somebody on this site has just bought one… I remember reading about the trailer issues but could not find the thread. How many rods can you fit in the storage comfortably?

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

Bearcat crazy for speed? seems average to me. I think it goes quite fast for what it is no speed demon gets the job done though.

No I was saying it’s crazy a brand new 4stroker pushes the same as my 91 mariner did. I expected a little more on the new one.

And I was saying the 30 was way nicer then the 25. I wasn’t saying he had to do it. Just the difference we seen was big.

It’s a nice rig the way it sits, please don’t take my comment as a insult

mrpike1973
    Participant

If your carful I can get 4 rods both sides easy if you have a couple rods that are 6.10 or shorter you can get 1 more on each side. I bought a butt seat for the front it’s OK but I’m 5.5 high on a good day for me it seemed like I was really crammed in for space hardly any room for my feet and the foot pedal for trolling motor. I took it out and use nothing on the deck just a preference for me if you use the regular seat in the front it’s great for pan fishing or trolling but for bass fishing what I mostly do I just stand no seat. Just preferences may be totally different for you. I have owned many boats and for me it rides nice is stable I just wanted a simple easy boat no frills some rod storage a front deck. I have not noticed any flaws or issues with the build of it so far.

mrpike1973
    Participant

Bearcat never took it as an insult never will. You have been very helpful in the forums to me and many others. I just didn’t understand the question quite right no problems here.

mrpike1973
    Participant

To OP I also put some outdoor marine style carpet in the inside nothing fancy just layed in there on the rod lockers and use rod slicks helped a lot and no boat rash on the rods. If you decide to get a Fury or not feel free to message me.

dirtywater
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mrpike1973 wrote:</div>

No I was saying it’s crazy a brand new 4stroker pushes the same as my 91 mariner did. I expected a little more on the new one.

And I was saying the 30 was way nicer then the 25. I wasn’t saying he had to do it. Just the difference we seen was big.

It’s a nice rig the way it sits, please don’t take my comment as a insult

Interesting. Have never heard anyone suggest that a four stroke would be faster than a two-stroke of the same HP. 4 has its advantages in fuel economy etc, but have always heard two strokes are lighter and have greater torque, leading to slightly
    better holeshot and top end speed all other things equal.

Would be interested to hear what big differences you saw on that 30 vs the 25.

Paul Mowrey
    Participant

I bought a new 2020 Lund 1600 Fury early this year. It has a 20hp outboard which is the max allowed at the local lake. It’s my first “real boat” (had a jon boat and inflatable previously) and I’m extremely pleased with it. I’m 6’4″ & 230 lbs. and have plenty of room and stability. I saw a post where someone felt crowded in the front but my trolling motor is remote controlled so I don’t have to deal with a foot pedal. I have only fished alone and have had it up to 20 mph which is plenty for me.

mrpike1973
    Participant

Congrats I love my my Fury. Nice no frill fishing machine.

bob58
    Participant

I bought my Furry tiller in 2016. It is powered by a Merc. 40 HP 4 stroke. I set it up for back trolling with splash guards and a transom mounted HasWind trolling motor.
    It is a great two man rig and handles all of my needs.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.