Lunar rise and fall

• joc
    Western and Central, NY

Fishing by the Moon. I always thought that lunar tables were that much hocus pocus. However I been reading a bit and am beginning to believe there might be something to them for shallow water freshwater fishing. They have 2 main periods from what I understand a daily rising and a daily setting. Apparently fish are more active during these 2 periods and even more active if these periods occur during the full moon? Any experience here from the IDO members and crew? Just curious and THK’s ahead of time.

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

I thought about fishing by the moon once but could not for the life of me figure out a way to get there. No rocket or space shuttle service near me I guess.

The closest I got to fishing by the moon was when Reverend @reverend1969 was crapping in a 5 gallon bucket outside our shack one night.

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

JDW that was funny! Especially fish’un with the preacher LOL

So JOC, yes, I try to hunt and fish by the lunar tables. I think more times than not, is does make a difference to me. But here’s the best advice I’ve ever gotten, and can pass along. “The best time to fish and hunt is as often as you can” !

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

I don’t plan trips specifically around the moon phases, but I do try to be out when the peak periods are happening. Read Joe bucher’s philosophy on the moon phases, he will enlighten you. I think that there is something to it, but that’s just me.

muskeye
    Duluth, Mn

If your chasing muskies, I’d definitely pay attention to the tables. Make sure to be on your best spot or where you saw a fish earlier when the table tells you to be. I documented the first year I started muskie fishing and every fish came during a moon rise/set or
    overhead/underfoot.

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

The closest I got to fishing by the moon was when Reverend @reverend1969 was crapping in a 5 gallon bucket outside our shack one night.

rotflol rotflol rotflol
    Was it the smell of rose blossoms or the reverberation that gave me away? moon

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

Back on topic, I’ve noticed some trends in that direction although for the most part I go fishing when I can and let the weather/solunar tables/barometer be what they’re going to be.
    I will say I’ve developed a personal hoodoo about the full moon period. I know a lot of guys who love it, but in my experience it kicks my butt. New moon I like much better. Neither of which I could say are scientific observations on my part…

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

If your chasing muskies, I’d definitely pay attention to the tables. Make sure to be on your best spot or where you saw a fish earlier when the table tells you to be. I documented the first year I started muskie fishing and every fish came during a moon rise/set or
    overhead/underfoot.

joc:

I don’t care what you’re chasing, they are worth paying attention to… The best time to be fishing is any time you can get there, but when you are out there pay attention to all four of these that are mentioned!!! I have caught the biggest of anything I have ever fished for during these times. By paying attention, you may go a bit earlier or stay a bit later to be around one of these periods…

The other thing, put together a front of weather coming in at the same time and it can be dynamite for the particular period!!!

BTW, the tide charts are put together using the Moon under/over and while things don’t always peak on saltwater at these times, the tides coming & going tell you everything about where and how to fish…

Mark

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

If you pay attention to your best bite windows, most often, they will coincide with moon rise/set, or overhead/underfoot. Some bodies of water more than others. Doesn’t always work that way, but in times like first quarter / last quarter, I find it more obvious that there is an influence from the moon.

Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

There’s too many obligations in life that trying to set my outings by the moon would just urine me off because too often I miss the boat. I live by the saying…

“The best time to fish is when you can.”

With that said I do look at it and if I can only get one day out during a weekend I do check to see how many things I may have going in my favor picking one day vs. the other like barometer, temperature, wind, moon, etc and do everything I can to be in the best spot at the best time.

joc
    Western and Central, NY

I don’t plan trips specifically around the moon phases, but I do try to be out when the peak periods are happening. Read Joe bucher’s philosophy on the moon phases, he will enlighten you. I think that there is something to it, but that’s just me.

Thanks for the article it’s quite interesting. And Joe has a knack for the toothy critters.

Gary Sanders
    Lake Wisconsin

I’m a believer but, it’s not a magical time when fish seek out fisherman, you gotta be on fish and give them an appropriate presentation for it work.

joc
    Western and Central, NY

If you pay attention to your best bite windows, most often, they will coincide with moon rise/set, or overhead/underfoot. Some bodies of water more than others. Doesn’t always work that way, but in times like first quarter / last quarter, I find it more obvious that there is an influence from the moon.

I understand moon rise, moon set, full moon and new (no) moon. But what is overhead / underfoot refer to? I’ve never heard that expression before.

I imagine nothings magic, but like fishing during a barometric drop, using moon rise/fall charts to say stay out an extra hour if it buts you on top on a moon rise or fall can be productive. I’ve noticed that during the full moon I’ve done better at times.

BTW thanks for all the feedback guys!

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

google solunar tables and you will find all kinds of different information. overhead and underfoot refers to where the moon is. either it it overhead, you can see it, or underfoot, on the other side of the earth.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

I pay attention to them along with barometric pressure.
    For me the big thing is that I fish with more confidence and greater concentration.

I think that alone leads to better fishing.

joe_the_fisher
    Wisconsin Dells WI

I got my biggest musky ever last august a day before the “Supermoon” and it was 20 mins before prime feeding window. 52 incher!!

joc
    Western and Central, NY

Pls correct me if I’m wrong. What I’ve come to understand is:
    All things being equal, the fishing may-should be better in an ~ 90 minute window surrounding the moon rise and moon set. And this effect could be amplified if the moon rise and set windows occur during a full or new moon.

BTW: http://www.wunderground.com/ provides daily moon rise and moon set data that compares very closely with that of Joe Bucher’s URL. However Infisherman provides solunar data that doesn’t line up at all. Just an observation.

From Joe Bucher: http://www.sunrisesunset.com/
    From Infisherman: http://www.in-fisherman.com/solunar-calendar/

KB

My old man swears by lunar tables, but every time I have gone with him hunting and fishing never seemed any different. However it does bring a little extra motivation to go out real early or stay late and hit it hard. You never know when your gonna get that bite of a lifetime.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Full moons typically turn on right before moon rise, clear skies assuming, and then again when it reaches about 10-11 oclock location speaking IMO on the river.(this also is typically peak periods((sunrise/sunset)) for any day regardless of lunar effects.)

Last 5 yrs I’ve been out almost every full moon, whether be targeting channels/walleyes mainly from shore. Ask my wife, she has it on her calendar peace

That being said, most the depths I’m covering are from 2-8′ max. Going back to the OP on SHALLOW, the majority of walleyes have come from less than 3′ of water, and channels from the same, but different structure.

This aint saying they aren’t biting other places or depths, but restricted from shore these were the areas I’ve covered.

Out of this intel I’ve gathered thus far, personally I prefer sunrise/sunset for eyes for the magic window, and nighttime for channels, full moon being a bonus for BIG channels. And full moon being more beneficial for #’s of eyes being shallow, but not necessarily size. Curve ball, most my big eyes have come between daybreak and noon:???:

Factor in bad weather before/after/during and all this can go out the window. So many factors go into a good bite. But overall I would say yes, fish go shallower on lunar activity during the night.

If I can add as well, be AGGRESIVE! Mr.Weiland had a conversation with me some time ago on being just that, aggressive, and many a nights you can have the typical live bait rig, jigging plastic, etc and not get a darn thing, until you tie on a crankbait, xrap, swimjig and rip that through your area and find the fish were there all along and they are shallow for a reason, to fill their freaking bellies with some food! Not take a swim along the rocks for a scenic stroll, but to eat! So next time give it to em!

Whew, I really miss these posts. When’s open water bawling

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.