Lowrance DSI – First Impressions

• fishton
    South Africa

This is what Lowrance / Navico say about their product:-
    With the incredible new standalone Elite-5 DSI imaging fishfinder with chartplotter, you’re equipped with a technologically new way to look at finding — and fishing — hot spots…clearly… precisely…and especially affordably.

Picture-Perfect Fishfinding
    Exclusive Lowrance DownScan Imaging™ innovation displays crystal-clear photo-like views of the underwater worlds below the boat. No interpretation needed to see:

Thermoclines Exposed – clearly see the boundary layer between the lower cooler water and, upper warmer, oxygen-rich zone where fish hangFish Truly Revealed – Elite-5 DSI imaging leaves nothing to the imagination, clearly showing predator fish and baitfish schools Bottoms Uncovered – you easily distinguish between hard and soft bottoms, as well as fish and structure on/near the bottom Structure Disclosed – with photo-like views you can recognize all manner of structure at a glance, like bridge pilings, laydowns, ledges, drop-offs, vegetation, wrecks; no interpretation needed

Dual 455/800 kHz Coverage
    Selectable 455 kHz sounding for wider and deeper sonar imaging coverage, with 800 kHz for enhanced viewing of targeted locations.

More Power (and Depth and Speed) to You
    Elite-5 DSI fishfinders transmit 4,000W peak-to-peak/500W RMS power with recently-tested depths* to 200 ft./61 m, and impressive bottom readings at boat speeds up to 40 mph. Optimum imaging speed of 8 mph and under.

Advanced Transducer
    Slim new low-profile, high-speed, transom-mount, 455/800 kHz Skimmer® DSI imaging transducer with exclusive down-looking crystal and built-in temp sensor, and trolling motor-mount bracket option.

Precision GPS Position Accuracy
    Internal, front-mounted, high-sensitivity 16-channel GPS antenna for superior navigation guidance, even when mounted in-dash. External antenna option available.

Multiple Map/Chart Options
    Waterproof microSD media card slot accepts the most up-to-date mapcard options including Fishing Hot Spots® Pro USA and LakeMaster® in the U.S., and Navionics® Gold worldwide.

Viewing Brilliance
    Higher-resolution 5 in./12.7, 480×480 pixel SolarMAX™ 256-color TFT displays deliver unmatched viewing brightness and detail at wider angles and bright sunlight. Adjustable fluorescent cold-cathode backlit screen and keypad for low-light or night angling.

Pick Your Favorite Color
    Expanded sonar imaging display color palette choices offers optimum viewing for personal preference and water/light conditions.

Full Automatic or Manual
    Elite-5 DSI is so advanced it’s easy to use, with automatic fine-tuning for the best sonar imaging picture possible after power-up. Advanced User Mode for full manual control of settings.

TrackBack™ Into Sonar History
    Enjoy immediate scroll-back of imaging sonar history to review covered water and pinpoint spots (saves time and fuel trying to re-trace your path). With Elite-5 DSI, mark a waypoint at your cursor location with a simple press of a button.

Easy to Install and Use
    Unique new keypad and quick-release bracket design offers easy installation, plus one-hand viewing adjustment, operation at-speed, and removal/reinstall.

Interface Beauty
    Simplified menu with text and icons for faster and easier selections.
    DISPLAY Display Size 5 in 127 mm
    Display Resolution 480×480 (H x W)
    Display Type 256-color SolarMAX™ TFT
    Backlighting Fluorescent cold cathode
    Backlighting Levels Adjustable screen/keypad
    Languages Supported 23

SONAR / SOUNDER
    Sonar Frequency 455/800 kHz
    Transducer Type Exclusive Lowrance dedicated Skimmer® DSI imaging transducer; high-speed, low-profile with built-in water surface temperature sensor; transom or trolling-motor mounting
    Sonar Output Power Max Peak-To-Peak 4,000 W / RMS 500 W
    Sonar Depth Max 250 ft 76 m
    Sonar Imaging Speed Up to 40 mph/64 kph tracking bottom (pre-release prototypical)
    Optimum imaging <8 mph/<14 kph
    Sonar Alarms: Fish, Max and Min Depth Yes
    Depth Alarm Yes
    Shallow Alarm Yes
    Temperature Display Yes

GPS / NAVIGATION
    GPS Antenna Type Internal high-sensitivity WAAS + EGNOS + MSAS (optional external antenna)
    GPS Receiver Channels 16 channels
    Background Map World reference basemap or (U.S. models) over 3,000 enhanced lake maps with depth contour and shoreline detail, plus coastal shoreline detail with offshore depth contours to 1,000 ft./305 m and spot depth soundings
    Custom Mapping – (DrDepth)
    Optional microSD media card format:
    Navionics® Gold (U.S. & worldwide)
    Waypoint Storage 3000
    Routes 100
    Plot Trails 100 retraceable plot trails/up to 10,000 points per trail
    NETWORKING / CONNECTORS NMEA Output NMEA 0183 TECHNICAL / ENVIRONMENTAL OTHER Unique TrackBack™ feature offers immediate scroll-back to review multiple pages of sonar imaging history with cursor, plus mark/save waypoints to GPS memory for display and future return.

FishTec Review:-

I set the unit up next to an Elite-5 on a universal RAM mount.

The transducer* is small, neat and easy to mount anywhere. *This will be very popular amongst kayak and fishingski owners.

The first test I did was the “2lb Tennis Ball Test”. See this link –

The 2lb Tennis Ball Test

83/200kHz:-

DSI:- On both 455 & 800kHz the dot / ball is clearly visible.

Bass hanging around some timber – DSI:-

Large Tree – DSI:-

Same tree on 200/83kHz:-

Several Palettes:-

Another large tree in deep water:-

Carp:-

Bass on top of sunken boat:-

Same as above with 83/200kHz:-

Brushpile on 83/200kHz:-

Same Brushpile on DSI:-

Create waypoint from DownScan Image:-

Chart/DSI Page with Waypoint and DrDepth Chart:-

Lowrance Elite-5 & Elite-5 DSI:-

Conclusion:-

The DSI is easy to install, simple to use with a quick four page selection and a dual frequency 455/800kHz split screen. This is a very unique feature not found on any other high frequency Imager. It enables you to view the wide coverage of the 455Khz and the more detailed target separation of the 800kHz on the same page.
    I found it very easy to identify not only the structure, but the fish in and around the structure. This will make it extremely popular among anglers that want to spend more time fishing and less time fiddling with their electronics.

In fact, I found the DSI to be so effective, that I would be more than happy using the DSI on its own without the 83/200kHz conventional sonar next to it if I had to.
    Quick and accurate waypoint capture is a breeze, allowing you to save your data to a micro SD card to view and backup on your PC later.

The high definition FishTec charts created with DrDepth load super fast with no lagging whatsoever and are bright and easy to read.

As far as price goes we do not have a figure, but if one had to follow the U.S sites and compare it to the latest prices being offered by Lowrance SA – we are all in for a very pleasant surprise.

So if the HDS with LSS-1 is not within your financial reach right now, but you still want the fish finding abilities of a true down looking high frequency life like imager at an affordable price, then the Lowrance DSI range is the perfect choice.

Availability – Early 2011

ottomatica
    Lino Lakes, MN

Awesome report, Fishton!

kosmo1

why does fhe 800hz seem to show less detail

kosmo1

2d pictures show bottom depht change while di pictures show a const.dept ??????

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

why does fhe 800hz seem to show less detail

Higher frequency means better resolution but less depth penetration. The “less detail” you are perceiving is actually less clutter or junk on your screen. The minute signals such as plankton, junk, or tiny bait fish don’t show up as well because the higher frequency’s return signal is too weak or didn’t return to the transducer at all.

kosmo1

yes i no what you are saying about the two different frequencys.i dont no how to copy the above pictures,but if you will look at them you will see that the structure in 800 is less visuable. to me they are for the most part pritty mutch useless,because they do not show all of the structure that is there.seeing the above pictures i would not feel comfortable useing the di by its self without 2d.the 800 is not showing all the structure in shallow or the deep water

kosmo1

what im trying to say is that the pictures were taken by an expert,yet they are not showing all the detail.im am far from being an expert.i think that i would miss to much structure with this unit, useing di by its self.i would not trust what i was seeing on it.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

I see your point on some of the images (#4 and #6).

For the most part I see less clutter, junk, and artifact. Of course I read Echocardiograms (ultrasound) all day long. So I guess I’m used to interpreting ultrasound images seeing things some people may not.

kosmo1

which shows more information;2d sonar or di…..bottom hardness,fish,structure,thurmacline,ect.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

which shows more information;2d sonar or di…..bottom hardness,fish,structure,thurmacline,ect.

in my experience, 2D shows more “stuff” with much less definition/detail.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.