Triton 215 where to mount HDS7 & LSS1 transducers?

• jdccory
    Participant
    Lake Superior

The boat is a Triton 215X walleye boat. The hull is designed with a pad and a stepped hull at the transom. Primary power is a 225 Optimax with an 8 hp kicker on a Panther lift bracket on the starboard side of the transom. I bought the boat used, equipped with Lowrance electronics at the helm and bow. The transducer for the helm unit is a shoot-thru hull Lowrance transducer, probably installed by the manufacturer. I set up the HDS7 for this transducer and I’ve installed the latest updates from Lowrance. The electronics are not networked.

Problem is that the transducer will not hold the bottom on the HDS7 that I installed. I lose the bottom signal at higher speeds when it’s rough and even at trolling speeds occasionally. I would like to install the skimmer transducer that came with the HDS7 to provide a more reliable signal. Also, I anticipate purchasing the LSS1 structure scan soon and would need to install that transducer as well. Has anyone done a similar installation on a Triton or Ranger walleye boat? I’m trying to identify the best location for these transducers on this hull. Thanks, jdc

tweak
    Participant

I have a smaller Triton, the 198X. On it there are “steps” on both sides of the keel. I have the skimmer transducer and the LSS transducer within the port side step. One on each side of the livewell intake. I get good signal from both. I will try and post a pic later today.

jdccory
    Participant
    Lake Superior

Thanks for the reply Tweak, good information. I was wondering if both would fit in that space. Look forward to the photo. jdc

jwelch
    Participant
    Iowa

I just installed lss-1 and a hds 10 on a triton 189 walleye boat. I mounted the hds transducer on the starboard side of the keel on the front side of the transom step. And the lss-1 transducer pretty much inline with the keel and just ahead of the motor on the top side of the transom step. I’ve had it out once and they both worked nicely with no issues yet.

Jeremy

tweak
    Participant

Here is a shot of the transducer location I used.

I thought about the center step area. I consulted Triton and they had some concern about anything disrupting water flow to the prop and suggested the spot I used or the matching spot on the other side of the hull. I think the likelihood of it affecting performance is slight. But that spot also meant the LSS trans was over 12″ away from the std transducer and the manual says to keep them close for an accurate overlay of the downscan on the sonar image if desired.

jwelch
    Participant
    Iowa

Thats looks good. My transom step is quite abit narrower than that and isn’t excatly stright with the transom. I still have them mounted about a foot a part. I haven’t had my boat on plane yet but I’m not really too worried about effecting the performance of my motor, it probably won’t even be in the water when the boat is on plane. If I get out to where my boat is stored today I’ll try to get a couple of pictures.

Jeremy

tweak
    Participant

I am sure that center spot you used is going to work fine too. It sure is nice to have these options though. With the transducer spots we are using the kicker and main motor never interfere. I like that!

I don’t know if you saw my post about hitting a submerged channel marker last month. I lost a lower unit, but I was sure grateful it missed my LSS transducer. Your spot avoids that possibility.

jdccory
    Participant
    Lake Superior

That looks like a great solution Tweak, thanks very much for taking the photo. jdc

tweak
    Participant

No problem. And by the way, congrats! I love my Triton. Where did you find yours?

jdccory
    Participant
    Lake Superior

Craigslist-Nashville believe it or not (land of the bass boat). Love the boat too. We’re on Lake Superior and it is a great big-water boat for both trolling and casting the shallows. I installed two Smooth Moves seats up front and they make it quite comfortable even when the wind and waves kick up. jdc

jwelch
    Participant
    Iowa

Wow, that sucks about your lower unit. I took a picture of my mounting locations. I tried to post it yesterday and it wouldn’t go. I’ll see if my computer will cooperate tonight.

Yeah, hopefully it’s in a good position. Like I said my transom step is narrower than that and the outsides of the step aren’t exactly straight with the back of the boat. In fact with the regular transducer, I don’t know if I needed to do this or not. But I shimmed it on one side so it was straight with the keel.

All in all, I’m pretty happy with where I place them.

Jeremy

tweak
    Participant

That looks like a great spot. No interference from the main motor or kicker/trolling motor, and no risk of striking anything. I would have done that if my existing transducer wasn’t so far away from there.

I hope to dunk the boat tomorrow. Which will only be the second time I have used the LSS. So i hope to have some good screen shots when I get back.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.