Lowrance Active Target Mounting Location

• RC Musky
    Participant
    South Metro

Hi,

I recently picked up my Active Target powerhead and am taking it in to the Marine shop in Grand Rapids to get it set up and mounted on my boat. I’ve seen a lot of boats mount these Live units on the side of the boat as opposed to the Bow.

Does anyone have insight as to why it’s useful mounting it on the side? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thank you!

dandorn
    Participant
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Have you considered a pole mount to use from side or front of boat ?

RC Musky
    Participant
    South Metro

Yes – I did get an ice fishing shuttle from Summit that came with a pole. The Marine recommended a custom side mount. I’m just wondering if it’s worth spending another $300.

dandorn
    Participant
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

If you already have the pole I would purchase the active target mount from Summit.

Attachments:
    1. 4BB6D04F-7E30-4227-83F7-C33A55601687.jpeg

dandorn
    Participant
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

If you’re talking about mounting the “Live” head unit you can put it on a
    mount, such as a RAM mount, and move
    from side to bow quickly. Will require an additional power cable and another RAM ball though.

Huntindave
    Participant
    Shell Rock Iowa

I have a tiller boat and I have one sonar display that I use for everything. Thus, I choose to mount my Active Target sonar pole off the gunnel where I can reach it from my operators’ seat.
    That is MY reason for MY mounting location. YMMV and that is fine, just sharing what I did.
    Only thing I added “extra” was a custom sub-plate under the Ram Ball, to offset the ball towards inside of the gunnel. The sub-plate is attached to the gunnel with stainless machine screws and stainless “Rivnuts”.

I did this to (a) reduce the reach to the pole handle and (b) increase the clearance under the boat cover to the gunnel ball when stowed.
    Photos below show the deployed position and the stowed position.

Attachments:
    1. 20220410_OFFSET-scaled.jpg

2. 20220410_STOWED-scaled.jpg

3. 20220410_DEPLOYED-scaled.jpg

RC Musky
    Participant
    South Metro

These suggestions are all very helpful. I want the option to switch locations and now I understand how it mounts to the boat via the RAM mount and bracket.

@ Huntindave – If I were running a Tiller I’d definitely consider your placement. From the few people I’ve talked to they all say I should set it up to accommodate how I utilize my boat space when I fish. At this point for me, having the flexibility to move it probably makes more sense so I can figure out what works best. I also appreciate the insight as to why you used the custom plate. Little details make a big difference.

Thanks for all the replies. I’ll try to remember to post pics when I get it set up.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.