Lower Unit Oil-Yamalube

• AK Guy

I’ve always run Yamalube lower unit oil in my Yamaha outboard. Do I need to keep paying for the brandname or is there a cheaper alternative with the same performance?

dirtywater

For my yamalube two-stroke oil, my shop lets me bring in the empty jug and they refill it from the big barrel in the shop. Saves a decent chunk and I still get the product I know and trust. Might be worth asking.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I’ve always run Yamalube lower unit oil in my Yamaha outboard. Do I need to keep paying for the brandname or is there a cheaper alternative with the same performance?

No, unless it is important to you to keep Yamaha profits as high as possible, there’s no reason to keep buying overpriced, rebranded oil.

Guys get way, way too hung up on brands. Yamaha doesn’t make oil. Lower unit oil is just multi weight gear oil. Changing frequency and inspection for contamination are way more important than boutique brands.

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

At 12$ a quart I wouldn’t say buying yamalube gear oil is exspensive. I use mobil 75w90 synthetic but it’s actually more then yamalube. If you only use a quart or 2 a year I’m not sure really how much you can save. Just make sure what you buy is meets GL-5 requirements.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Gear oil is not something usually used in enough quantity to show much of a savings but like others have said I use whatever fits the specs. Of all the lubricants, gear oil is usually the one I worry least about except bar oil for my chain saws.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

It’s pretty low cost in the first place. Not to much savings to be had.

MX1825

I use Amsoil. Amsoil garantees protection even with 10% water in the lower unit. Also cheaper than Yamalube.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I use Amsoil. Amsoil garantees protection even with 10% water in the lower unit. Also cheaper than Yamalube.

I also use amsoil, for every thing really.

Musky Ed

Yes it actually is quite cheap. I drain it the 1st time, then after that, i just let a little drain out to make sure there is no water in it and top off. Every 3 yrs or so i would do a full drain again. At $13 youre not going to save a whole lot by using a fifferent oil.
    Just remember the kicker uses a different oil.

gregory
    Red wing,mn

If it’s in warranty I would stick with yamalube. If it’s out of warranty it’s up to you. It takes such a small quantity I don’t see the savings.

iowa_josh

Mine keeps changing color after repeated use. Nothing separates out though. It goes from green to brown. When do I break down and reseal the gearbox?

Musky Ed

I would think if it’s brown there is water there.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

I would use it every time but they don’t sell it anywhere I frequent. Only places that claim to carry Yamaha lubricants are boat dealers or bike shops which is frustrating. Gander used to carry it but don’t have those around me. I been going off eBay lately. pain in the ace if anything.

Ripjiggen

I would think if it’s brown there is water there.

Water would turn it grey and milky.

Ripjiggen

That guarantee sounds like the one in the movie Tommy Boy.

LabDaddy1

Tell ya what, you could get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a butchers *ss, no wait…

deertracker

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>MX1825 wrote:</div>

I also use amsoil, for every thing really.

Same here. Harley, wheeler, boats, snow blower, etc.
    DT

Musky Ed

Three different pics of water in oil. Not always the same color, also could be a milky gray look or I’m sure others, but will not look like the oil you put in. Could actually drain out as water I guess, but I have never seen that.

Attachments:
    1. oil-a.jpg

2. oil-b.jpg

3. oil-c.jpg

MX1825

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>MX1825 wrote:</div>

I’ve thought the same thing but that is stated on the label.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.