LOW Ice Fishing Trip Timing

• Matt Moen
    Participant
    South Minneapolis

I’m not a big ice fishing guy but I’m planning on heading up to LOW with a couple of buddies after the first of the year. Couple quick questions:

1) Is the bite better in early Jan or mid-Feb. These are the potential dates and I would assume later is better but I have no idea.

2) Is there a night bite at all on LOW. We’ll probably do a sleeper regardless but I have heard there isn’t much of a night bite up there.

Thanks,

Matt

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

Other than first ice, I don’t think there’s a huge difference in the bite in regards to time of year. It’s more dependent on the weather as your trip approaches, stable weather is good, massive changes/cold front is bad. There isn’t a great night bite, but my 2 biggest eye’s through the ice up there (27″ & 28″) came at night. Move your set lines up further off the bottom at night would be my advice!

Eelpoutguy
    Participant
    Farmington, Outing

I’m not a big ice fishing guy shock What the ? rotflol

What Werm said,
    Depending on how early hardwater fishing starts could depend on early Jan or mid Feb. If it’s late ice I would say early Jan, early ice I may go with mid Feb.
    Not much of a night bite on the south end, you may pick-up a stragler here and there but nothing to set the world on fire.

waldo9190
    Participant
    Cloquet, MN

From what I have experienced, the weather tends to be a bit more stable in February, but we have one of those groups that always seems to time trips during the WORST possible weather, YMMV.

As Bigwerm said, the night bite isn’t usually a big ticket thing, but I wouldn’t say that it is non-existent like some others might. We have absolutely caught fish at night, and usually add a ‘pout or two. Either way, throw down some rattle reels, crack a cold Busch Light, and break out the cribbage board! Fish at night are a bonus in my book.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Participant
    Prescott

I’m going to do my best to never go to lotw ice fishing again, especially through any kind of a resort.

Why did I drive 6 hours to catch rinky dink eyes? When i can catch bigger and more at home… And not pay $100/night to sleep poorly.

Carful who you book with. Most resorts are happy to have clients eating 13″ walleyes. I’d be very clear what your expectations are and don’t be afraid to back out if they just “put you on fish”.

IMO that trip is not for the skilled angler who frequents the river. Not to be a downer.

I couldn’t enjoy it the last two trips despite being with a dozen guys who were in fishing heaven. I let them go and hang out with them off the ice.

Matt Moen
    Participant
    South Minneapolis

I’m going to do my best to never go to lotw <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>ice fishing again, especially through any kind of a resort.

Why did I drive 6 hours to catch rinky dink eyes? When i can catch bigger and more at home… And not pay $100/night to sleep poorly.

Carful who you book with. Most resorts are happy to have clients eating 13″ walleyes. I’d be very clear what your expectations are and don’t be afraid to back out if they just “put you on fish”.

IMO that trip is not for the skilled angler who frequents the river. Not to be a downer.

I couldn’t enjoy it the last two trips despite being with a dozen guys who were in fishing heaven. I let them go and hang out with them off the ice.

I’m with you FBRM but this is more of a beer drinking, trash talking kind of trip. I’ll have the boat on the river year round and I only ice fish about twice a year.

Plus, I want to try eelpout for the first time. Gotta give that a go and you can’t get them on the river!

biggill
    Participant
    East Bethel, MN

Good point. I will say though that it’s pretty rare for me to go up there and catch nothing but 13” walleyes or 10” saugers. Never in fact. I’d been able to fill my 4 walleye limit with 16-18” walleyes and fill the rest with respectable saugers. About 1/2 my trips have been with resort houses.

The difference may be in that the resort houses I’ve used have been sleepers and they typically put them in shallower water where there’s a morning and evening bite and larger fish.

And no, there is USUALLY no note bite. Sone years are different than others but most years it’s dead. For walleyes anyway.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Participant
    Prescott

Good point. I will say though that it’s pretty rare for me to go up there and catch nothing but 13” walleyes or 10” saugers. Never in fact.

I’ve had that trip. When they told me to start keeping those fish i almost told them to take my back to my truck.
    But, I came for the beer and bs like Matt is doing.

I’m with you FBRM but this is more of a beer drinking, trash talking kind of trip.

It was the final straw though and decided it is not worth the money and vacation. I’d still recommended that resort for their customer service, like no other!

And no, there is USUALLY no note bite. Sone years are different than others but most years it’s dead. For walleyes anyway.

Really depends where you are… I’ve been in great spot day and night for big eyes and usually suspended bite… Like 10′ + off bottom. My Flasher never shuts off. I bring 7 Batts ;)

The difference may be in that the resort houses I’ve used have been sleepers and they typically put them in shallower water where there’s a morning and evening bite and larger fish.

I’ve always done sleepers and never a day house. Been in 35′ and 14′.

Enjoy your trip matt!

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Participant
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I’m with you FBRM but this is more of a beer drinking, trash talking kind of trip. I’ll have the boat on the river year round and I only ice fish about twice a year.

Plus, I want to try eelpout for the first time. Gotta give that a go and you can’t get them on the river!

I think this is a big part of it and go with it, no need to apologize. Sure…there will always be places where you can catch bigger fish or more fish, but sometimes fishing trips are more than just that. There are the social benefits too. Why is deer camp so popular for some even though not all get a deer?

Personally I like to try a diversity in fishing trips. Not always going to the same places using the same techniques.

Mix it up at times, why not? I agree with FBRM that it’s a long drive but you never know. You can get some big fish out of there, meanwhile enjoy your company. toast

Matt Moen
    Participant
    South Minneapolis

I’m so used to catching big fish all the time it’ll be fun to get into some smaller ones. Fileting 13″ walleye should really hone my knife skills.

Kidding aside, any recommendations on sleeper outfits? I was given a couple but if you’ve had good luck I’d take them. Plan on booking in the next couple of days.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Participant
    Prescott

I really like the services Lyons sleepers provide.

They’ll check you several (like 5x min) a day. Honestly too many for me, but it is nice to know help is close by as they’re your only exit. (Bombers)

For those in your group who cannot prepare, they’ll make runs to town for you.

For those with one vex battery, they’ll charge them each night. They always ask what’s in that heavy case (oodles of batteries)

They’ll also clean your fish.

I’ve even gotten them to move me 50yds… Was sitting on top a junk pile fish were swimming around. Took a little convincing but they obliged.

They’ll provide a day house nearby to fish in, or take a dump.

They might also suggest you keep small fish, but i have also had excellent fishing with them.

They run bombers.

They’ll set you up close to your buddies if you choose.

Only had one issue where neighbors started a late night Tiff…I settled that, and Lyons booted them next day.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

I never stay out of a resort. Buddy has a skid shack and suburban on full tracks up there, all I can say is if we are catching those small ones you need to move. Get out and think differently. The resorts set houses up to catch numbers for clients that probably dont catch eyes much. The size is there. We catch many many many fish between 26 and 30 and fat. Just have to move and hunt. It gets hard unless you have the big rigs though.

But in your case going with a group and having a part weekend is a blast. End of January is what I’d shoot for. Even though it will be cold.
    As for a night bite we dont do anything good at night. A occasional night time roamer

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.