Looking for spicy salsa tips.

• Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I have a salsa garden growing and in the last week it has blown up. We have so many peppers onions and now tomatoes, I’m about ready to start making salsa. We like to make both fresh small batches and big batches that we will can. Does any one have any good salsa recipes. We love spicy so we grew lots of Carolina reapers and ghost peppers to add.

Jimmy Jones

We love spicy so we grew lots of Carolina reapers and ghost peppers to add.

Wear rubber gloves and have plenty of Preparation H on hand for use after eating.

Snake ii’s

I’ve tried using the superhots in salsa. I can handle them fresh, dried or in hot sauce. I was never able to get the canned salsa down – always turned out way too hot and the taste was not good (from what little I had after eating it).
    Not a fan of reapers fresh, dried or otherwise – taste is not great.
    Love ghost peppers, especially dried and smoked.
    If you can find them, I would try a variety of habaneros, serranos and other sub 1,000,000 scoville peppers.

Send me your contact info – I’ll give you some of my dried/smoked chile blend.

picklerick
    Central WI

With the super hots like ghost and reapers I’d lean more toward a hot sauce than salsa. Blacken the tomatoes and onions on the grill and smoke the peppers after freezing them and thawing them out. I find they take on the smoke better when they’re softened a bit. Keep the heat low and 30-40 minutes is all I do. I smoke some garlic cloves with the peppers too. Then it’s all according to taste. I add salt, vinegar, a little cumin and sometimes mango or a little sugar to balance everything out. Blend it all smooth then simmer it for about ten minutes if you plan to eat some right away. I pressure can it in 1/4pt jars because about a teaspoon per taco is all my palate can handle. If you’re canning all of it, you can probably skip the simmering step. A pinch of xanthan gum will keep it from separating but isn’t really necessary unless you use a lot of vinegar.

Sharon
    Dakota County, MN

I’ve made salsa from my garden goodies a few times and I don’t really follow a recipe. I just kinda throw together what I have, but it’s usually:

Tomatoes (I like Romas and Cherries)
    Onion
    Super chili peppers
    Serrano peppers
    Green peppers
    Minced garlic
    Olive oil
    Fresh cilantro
    And I’m drawing a blank on the seasonings I’ve used. I think we had a can of some kinda pre-made salsa seasoning but I forget the brand.

CaptainMusky

I remember the first time we did our garden. I wasnt sure how many plants to have to I had like 10 jalapeno plants. LOL That was ridiculous. Regarding recipes, Ive never used one, just sort of wing it based on taste as Im putting everything together. Never did anything super hot.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

With the super hots like ghost and reapers I’d lean more toward a hot sauce than salsa.

x2. You can add some of the super hot peppers, but it’s hard to get salsa right with them. Hot sauce is easier imo.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I use the super hots in my salsa every year, I’m just looking for new and different ideas. I also dehydrate and grind all the super hots in to a pepper shaker and use that all year.
    I’ve made my own hot sauce and it sucked. I’m just looking for salsa ideas

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I should have said I’m making multiple batches from medium to a hoke burner

BigWerm
    SW Metro

This is a good salsa recipe and I’d just add the super hots until you achieve desired 2 day pain level😂

8-10 cups quartered blanched tomatoes (skin and stem removed)

1 bunch Cilantro

2-3 onions (baseball size)

8 jalapeños

3-4 Green peppers

1 Cup cider vinegar

1 Tablespoon salt

2 ghost peppers

2 tablespoons minced garlic
    simmer/boil without cover until tomatoes are broke down and consistency looks good.
    Mash large tomatoes parts while stirring
    Can and then process for 20 mins.
    Recipe makes about 4-5 quarts

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I wasnt sure how many plants to have to I had like 10 jalapeno plants.

LOL, you must have had soooo many jalapenos. I used to grow 2 but have cut back to 1 beacuse they’re so prolific. Actually, I’ve grown Fresnos instead of jalapenos the past few years.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

You gotta be careful with the superhots or very few people will tolerate your salsa. I grow 5 different peppers in my garden along with tomatoes and we love our salsa. If some of my pepper plants don’t do well I will supplement with store bought. I like to have jalapeno for sure. I absolutely must have grilled Anaheim’s. I have others including hot banana I add as well. I have been experimenting with Habanero for a couple years and haven’t ruined a batch yet,
    although I cant handle the habs plain or in anything else. I even dried some and the result was flavorful but too hot for me. I buy onions, garlic and cilantro from the store. I actually grew cilantro this year but it already went to seed and I pulled it.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I actually grew cilantro this year but it already went to seed and I pulled it.

Cilantro is tough to time. Too hot, and it bolts. I should plant some now…

glenn57
    cold spring mn

my reciepe is kinda a throw things in it to but i’ve got it pegged based on several different container sizes. only use jalepeno peppers.

the one seasoning i like in mine is ground cummin!!!!

CaptainMusky

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>CaptainMusky wrote:</div>
    I wasnt sure how many plants to have to I had like 10 jalapeno plants.

LOL, you must have had soooo many jalapenos. I used to grow 2 but have cut back to 1 beacuse they’re so prolific. Actually, I’ve grown Fresnos instead of jalapenos the past few years.

It was ridiculous! I brought paper grocery bags full to work to get rid of them. I told my coworkers who were gardeners for eons and they died laughing.

MNdrifter

Wow BC. Your getting ripe tomatoes already?!?! My garden is looking fantastic and they are only the size of quarters now. I’ll just start pickles next week probably. Time to stock up on bacon for BLT’s!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Wow BC. Your getting ripe tomatoes already?!?! My garden is looking fantastic and they are only the size of quarters now. I’ll just start pickles next week probably. Time to stock up on bacon for BLT’s!

We picked 4 last night. And like 40 peppers. The other tomatoes should be ready next week. And then 2 other mato plants just started budding. I can tell you I’m no gardener but it’s fun

MNdrifter

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>MNdrifter wrote:</div>

We picked 4 last night. And like 40 peppers. The other tomatoes should be ready next week. And then 2 other mato plants just started budding. I can tell you I’m no gardener but it’s fun
    [/quote

Nice. Sh!t, my cherrie tomatoes are a couple weeks out! It is fun. I’ve been having the kids keeping up on the weeding since they got out of school. One thing I do know is my salsa gets hotter as it sits. I have very little hold over each year, and those last few jars are the spiciest. We do roughly 40 pints of salsa, 25 or so quarts of spaghetti sauce. 30 various jars of different size/shape of pickles.

ganderpike
    Alexandria

Have reapers, ghosts, naja vipers and habaneros going. Tried making a salsa out of some de-seeded reapers last year, great taste but too potent. Hot sauces for me. Would be curious to see others recipes for salsa

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

I like adding some pineapple or pineapple juice to go along with the reapers/ghost/habaneros in a salsa or hot sauce. Contrasts real nice.

-J.

stevenoak

Friend and neighbor does catering. Makes salsa in his garage in a 5-gallon bucket and mixes it with his hands. Best I’ve ever eaten, of course he has no recipe. Good news, all I have to do is drop by with a quart jar. Can’t beat that.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Wow BC. Your getting ripe tomatoes already?!?

Out of curiosity, Bearcat, when did you put your tomatoes in the garden? I put mine in on Memorial Day, and while they look great and have lots of green tomatoes, mine are a few weeks out.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I barely have any tiny tomatoes and I planted around Memorial day like everyone else. The week before as I recall. Plants are huge though. End of summer is salsa making time around here.

tornadochaser

I’ve found that the hotter the peppers I use in salsa, the more garlic and sugar I need to keep the flavor balanced.
    This spring we planted green, banana, serrano, jalapeno, and habanero.

Whatever peppers we don’t use in salsa get sliced and pickled or I make a hot sauce we call “hulk sauce”.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>MNdrifter wrote:</div>
    Wow BC. Your getting ripe tomatoes already?!?

Out of curiosity, Bearcat, when did you put your tomatoes in the garden? I put mine in on Memorial Day, and while they look great and have lots of green tomatoes, mine are a few weeks out.

The lady planted the garden 2 weeks before memorial. I told her not to, and to wait till after memorial day.( from the advice I’ve seen here). But I was wrong and she was right. It’s worked out for us. We planted some peppers to close to the tomatoes and they are lost in the madness. Those tomatoes grew like wildfire

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.