Looking for opinions on anchors – 14' boat.

• Charles

So I am looking at two types of anchors a navy style or a water spike. I usually been fishing 10-20 and I want something to hold me in place when the wind blows. So what is the most compact and best solution?

Thanks everyone!

Francis K
    Champlin, MN

I think a 15# navy would be more than adequate.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Lake or river? Water spikes are great, especially with current, but it’s probably overkill on a 14′ boat. And if you only anchor in lakes, I’d probably go with Francis’s advice.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Or even step it up and get a 28 lb navy. I used this in 18 lb this weekend on my 14″ Lund and it held great in good wind. Although it was only 3 feet deep.

Attachments:
    1. 13846514.jpg

deertracker

I have the small water spike for my 14’er and it always held on Milly or the river.
    DT

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Always had issues grabbing with a river anchor on the Miss with my 14′.

Charles

This will be on the lake, I like the look of the navy anchor I am thinking of doing a 20lb since I usually sit in the open on the lakes.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

20# IMO is overdoing it for a 14′ on lakes but better safe than sorry.

Mike Johnson
    Nashua Iowa

IMO having enough rope out to get the correct angle for the anchor to hold is just as important as the anchor. I like Digger anchors myself lake or river.

tim hurley

15 is plenty, use more rope as was said-I sometimes I bring a 5lb one too to keep the boat from swinging-or just grab one out of my garage probably 5 in there-bring it back at some point.

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

IMO having enough rope out to get the correct angle for the anchor to hold is just as important as the anchor. I like Digger anchors myself lake or river.

And having a good amount of heavy chain attached to the anchor before the line as well.

Charles

So what is the main difference between a river anchor and navy style? What digs in the best?

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

So what is the main difference between a river anchor and navy style? What digs in the best?

Personally, I think a Navy works better than a River in the same size/weight.

-J.

Attachments:
    1. navy.jpg

2. River.jpg

Charlie “Turk” Gierke
    Hudson Wisconsin

Personally, I think a Navy works better than a River in the same size/weight.

-J.
    [/quote]

X2 – Navy holds twice as good. I have tried them all.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Last anchor you’ll ever buy: cat river anchor

Add a bungee to your boat and connect bungee to anchor line for 50% more holding power.

2c

Charles

Alright time to go to gander, sick of getting blowing around in the lake.

Thanks guys

Twins Guy
    NULL

Last anchor you’ll ever buy: cat river anchor

Add a bungee to your boat and connect bungee to anchor line for 50% more holding power.

2c

I bought two of these anchors (the 16#ers) last year. Gave one to my bestest fishin’ buddy and we used it earlier this month on the Rainy River. I was really impressed with its holding power given the current and the fact that we were fishing out of a wide and deep 17′ boat. Last year we lost an anchor up there (absolutely wouldn’t budge)-must have been snagged on a tree? The cat river anchor is designed to be “backed out” of snags if they occur. I’m sold on them.

Also picked up a bungee but haven’t used it yet.

With any anchor having enough rope is key.

I’ve got a brand new panther water spike and several other river style anchors I would part with for cheap if you’re near NE Mpls.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

The cat river anchor is designed to be “backed out” of snags if they occur.

And they do a very good job at that…When the anchor is snagged, and not the rope. However, I almost lost my anchor Sunday, to a non-typical snag.

Apparently I threw my 20# catriver anchor through a rusty steel 50 gallon drum in 12 FOW. HOLY MOLY was that hard to lift up, and even harder to get the anchor out of the barrel once I got it lifted…pff, but I got it thankfully and the barrel slipped back to the bottom to claim someone else’s anchor.

Charles

LOL what look on that one!

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

picked up an old ’14 last fall came with a navy anchor been using it this spring no issues it has worked well.

Ed Lashyro
    NULL

The key to anchoring is about the “Scope” that’s the ratio of line out to water depth. Three to five for most conditions and five to seven for storm conditions. Also 3-4′ of chain directly tied to the anchor. (Shackled)

Charles

So what does the Chain do on anchors just provides downward force to allow the anchor to bite in?

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

That and it keeps the rope from getting worn down on sharp rocks. You can cover the chain with a piece of garden hose to ease the scratching or rust in carpet if needed.

-J.

404 ERROR
    MN

I’ve been using a standard river anchor for years with awesome success on my Alumacraft T14V. I use it because it fits in my Worth Anchormate II nicely.

tim hurley

Hey is that Anchormate any good Merican?

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

You can cover the chain with a piece of garden hose…

I have mine inside of a bicycle inner tube. Works perfectly.

404 ERROR
    MN

Hey is that Anchormate any good Merican?

I love it for small bench seat style boats. No fumbling around with anchor rope and weaseling your way to the front to throw it and tie it off. I can deploy and retrieve all from the comfort of my rear seat. Only downside is ensuring it bites good, which is tough to tell from the back of the boat. Worth every penny.

shale
    Stillwater, MN

The heaviest navy anchor you can reasonably throw over the side of your boat.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.